Groups

Which removable disk is which...E F G H

Hi
    When i look at the front of my computer i have the d drive (i know that)
    underneath i have a usb slot
    then one for SD cards etc
    and then one for CF
    I want to put something on a micro sd using an adaptor. so i put it in the slot marked for SD/MMC/SMMC/MS but i do not know which this is E F G or H
    I know it is probably obvious but can anyone help please.
    When i put the micro sd and adaptor in i expected it to let me know which it was but it didnt.
    thanks in advance.

18 Comments

Original Poster

Thats the problem..i have put the adaptor and memory card in and it doesnt seem to come up on any so i can tell which one it is.

What size is the memory card? If above 2GB, then it's possible it won't show, I know mine doesn't.

Original Poster

yes its not showing i have computer window open. it is a 4 GB
    I havent any other card i can put in slot to try so a bit stuck at moment.
    thanks for your help anyway i appreciate it.

Original Poster

its a micro SD HC...could that be the problem...my computer is a few years old now.

Banned

i had this problem the other day after id been messing about with services on laptop....wouldnt recognise it as anything other than in device manager

theres loads of stuff on google about it i just changed users and it was back to normal dunno what id messed with

Original Poster

might try later on my partners laptop if it as a slot..not sure..will let you know if i managed it.
    thanks guys.

You have to use a USB adaptor, it will work perfectly then.

My computer is only about two years old, but doesn't accept SDHC in it's memory card slot.
    You could try updating the drivers, but when I try, it tells me I have the latest ones.

Original Poster

just tried the laptop and it has worked...weird...so maybe it is a problem with individual computers.
    Thanks and have a good Easter.

Goofey's Girl;4888668

just tried the laptop and it has worked...weird...so maybe it is a … just tried the laptop and it has worked...weird...so maybe it is a problem with individual computers. Thanks and have a good Easter.

It will be the card reader in the respective computers.

starsparkle2311;4888681

I've tried the USB adapter, no luck there either, then again, it was the … I've tried the USB adapter, no luck there either, then again, it was the cheapo one I got free from focal price, maybe that was the prob?So where do you get USB adapters from, and how much? Sorry for the questions, but if you know off-hand, it would be nice to know:thumbsup:

It is most likely the USB adaptor then. Do you only have the one?

The ones that come free are okay for really casual use, but I don't use them. I got one that reads all different cards from DX

dealextreme.com/det…767

If you want one of the cheapie ones, I can send you one.

The problem is that you are using SDHC memory. SD readers are NOT forwardly compatible with SDHC devices despite having the same physical form factor. The problem is that SDHC uses a different memory addressing method to SD. Your reader on your PC (whether it's USB or an internal reader - which is quite likely to be connected to an internal USB header on the board) is an SD reader/writer and not SDHC reader/writer.

You need to buy a reader or writer that is SDHC compliant. This can replace your internal reader/writer (the one one you call drive E, F, G, etc) or a USB adapter that carries the circuitry for SDHC. SDHC readers/writers (both internal and external) are commonplace so you should have no dificulties in locating one to buy.

In short:

- SDHC reader/writers can read and write to and from both SD and SDHC
    - SD reader/writers can read and write to and from SD but NOT SDHC as they are not capable of sector addressing which is used by SDHC.

starsparkle2311;4889038

so cut to the chase, I'm not a techie, how do I do that? Can I just buy a … so cut to the chase, I'm not a techie, how do I do that? Can I just buy a USB thingy, like thesaint has said? I mean is it an easy external thing or do I have to go all internal computer stuff, which is way beyond me, replacing the graphics card was hard enough,lol

No you cannot buy any USB "thingy". As I mentioned most of the reader/writers connect to external USB ports or USB ports internal to your computer. You need to buy an adapter (or USB "thingy" that is internal or external) that supports SDHC. The external option is the easiest obviously but the internal option is neater as you can unplug your internal reader/writer and replace it with one that supports SDHC. It will need to be connected to a USB header on the motherboard, if you are using an internal reader/writer.

99% of the reader/writers are USB even the ones built into a PC, by the way.

Oh I seem to recall that 99p stores sold adapters that are SDHC compatible.

starsparkle2311;4889092

Are you implying I am a cheapskate?lol I saw your thread (excellent btw) … Are you implying I am a cheapskate?lol I saw your thread (excellent btw) about dstt cards etc, I thought I'd try it after seeing so many mentions on here, but being the wary soul I am, I did indeed buy cheap, hey if it works it works I thought, if not, I'm not too much out of pocket. I have since spent too much buying micro cards here there and everywhere that just won't work, I am as sick as the proverbial chip!!!! Seriously as well as being sent the wrong cards, SD instead of micro, which I can't be bothered to return, I am well fed up, if a USB adapter will sove my problems, then yes, send me one, as long as I have your guarantee it will work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thinking:

Stop waffling woman!

I will send you it free of charge, if it doesn't work you can have your money back.

ElliottC;4889116

Oh I seem to recall that 99p stores sold adapters that are SDHC … Oh I seem to recall that 99p stores sold adapters that are SDHC compatible.

Basically, will a USB reader that I have linked to earlier that works with SDHC cards work in her PC?

starsparkle2311;4889172

a flock of seagulls just passed over my head with that bit of … a flock of seagulls just passed over my head with that bit of info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Sorry:oops:So, I can buy something that will "plug" into my computer? That will be an easier option for me. I'm only gonna use it for doing one thing, I don't need it permanently:)

OK I'll have another go at explaining.

The reader/writer can only read data to and from SD memory not SDHC. The memory you are using requires an SDHC reader/writer but the one on your computer is SD. The reason why it works on another computer is attributed to its SDHC reader/writer.

- SD reader/writer cannot communicate with SDHC memory
    - SHDC reader/writer CAN communicate with SDHC memory as well as SD memory.

The 99p adapter (technically known as a USB "thingy") is compatible with SDHC memory. The upshot is that you can insert your 4GB memory into this adapter and connect the adapter to your USB ports.

The majority of SD reader/writers connect to USB ports. Even the ones built into the computer connect to USB (because the motherboard in your computer also possess USB connections too).

thesaint;4889255

Basically, will a USB reader that I have linked to earlier that works … Basically, will a USB reader that I have linked to earlier that works with SDHC cards work in her PC?

Yep, no problems at all.

starsparkle2311;4889289

Jees you're hard work, I know all that, I know how to google, I just … Jees you're hard work, I know all that, I know how to google, I just wanted a quick answer, so am I right in thinking, I can just simply plug a "thingy" into my computer and problem solved?YES or NOThis isn't even my thread btw, I was just interested

I did answer the question earlier. I said "No" because not all are SDHC compatible. Maybe you meant "Can you plug the one you mentioned in and use SDHC memory" in which case the answer is different and is a resounding "Yes" but you asked "Can I plug a thingy" in which case it depends if it is SDHC compatible.

ElliottC;4889302

I did answer the question earlier. I said "No" because not all are SDHC … I did answer the question earlier. I said "No" because not all are SDHC compatible. Maybe you meant "Can you plug the one you mentioned in and use SDHC memory" in which case the answer is different and is a resounding "Yes" but you asked "Can I plug a thingy" in which case it depends if it is SDHC compatible.

lol.

Thanks for the help ElliotC. You remind me of those guys in the "Big bang theory" on the tele.

thesaint;4889370

lol.Thanks for the help ElliotC. You remind me of those guys in the "Big … lol.Thanks for the help ElliotC. You remind me of those guys in the "Big bang theory" on the tele.

You mean wear brown trousers and black framed spectacles with thick lenses?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767108
      2. PC Gamers - Steam Friends?933
      3. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!543726
      4. Forza Motorsport 7 Demo goes live on Xbox One and PC (6pm - 19/09)23

See more discussions