Which Router for Virgin Media 50mb SuperHub???

Found 9th Jul 2012
Hey!

Could someone please recommend a Wireless N Router for the Virgin Superhub. i get about 45mbps near the superhub, but upstairs a get about 2mbps (if I'm lucky!!) My Xbox looses connection too, which is a massive pain on my DNF rating on Fifa Ultimate Team.

I do own an older Belkin Wireless N Router, but it seems to only go to between 18-23mbps anywhere in the house, even standing right next to it. Not sure is theres something in the settings or maybe the router isn't good enough, I'm not sure. Maybe someone here could help or suggest an alternative router.

Cheers!
Community Updates
21 Comments
Yes superhub is p00p00.

I slap it in modem mode and use D-LINK dir-635 which is about £18 for a refub and they are excellent!

Online gameplay improved DRAMATICALLY. If you need help setting it up once you get a router give me a shout it can be tricky at times.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 9th Jul 2012
Go old school. You can't beat it.

http://www.waeplus.co.uk/img.php/223014/thumb
yeh why you want a router, just hard wire it, i game hard wired from my super hub, and its only 12 inches from my PC /PS3 every millisecond count for me.
Edited by: "Daytrader" 9th Jul 2012
J4GG4

Yes superhub is p00p00.I slap it in modem mode and use D-LINK dir-635 … Yes superhub is p00p00.I slap it in modem mode and use D-LINK dir-635 which is about £18 for a refub and they are excellent!Online gameplay improved DRAMATICALLY. If you need help setting it up once you get a router give me a shout it can be tricky at times.

Kool! Do you know what rates you get on Speed Test?

I think I'm on 100MB Virgin Broadband now, so it should go well over 20mb, even standing right next to it.
At the moment im on 10mb and i get between 9.9 and 10.9 consistently.
KillFelix

Go old school. You can't beat it.

Cant hard wire it, too much hassle now and difficult to send ethernet cables to each room upstairs.
Use homeplugs
I was thinking homeplugs, but I will still get about 20mb on my laptops, which is significantly less then what I should be getting.
Go outside and play some real football.

Just an idea.
Another ideal, you do know that connection speed makes no real difference on ping right, 1mb will give you exactly the same ping as 100mb, only way to stop dropping connection thou is by going the hard wired route.
MadeDixonsCry

Go outside and play some real football.Just an idea.

????????????????????????????
for best result:

use Supercrap as modem, then get something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WR1043ND-Ultimate-Wireless-Gigabit/dp/B002YETVTQ

it should work much better on its own than what you have now.

if you fancy absolutely spot on connection, buy 2 of those (or similar routers), hardwire the one downstairs to one upstairs and use the one upstairs as a repeater.

flash router with DD-WRT firmware for best possible results.

Edited by: "kunyk" 10th Jul 2012
why are you unhappy with 20 MBs?, you know 45 MBs wont be any different really unless you're download huge files, nothing will be as fast as a cable. Period.
Yes, i did spot that TP-Link router on my amazon search and it has some excellent reviews. I might buy this and also a set of homeplugs for my xbox 360 and smart tv, for better media streaming performance. Do you know if 200mbps homeplugs will be fast enough for 1080p streaming or do i need 500/1gb homeplugs??
Video

16 kbit/s – videophone quality (minimum necessary for a consumer-acceptable "talking head" picture using various video compression schemes)
128–384 kbit/s – business-oriented videoconferencing quality using video compression
1.5 Mbit/s max – VCD quality (using MPEG1 compression)
3.5 Mbit/s typ — Standard-definition television quality (with bit-rate reduction from MPEG-2 compression)
9.8 Mbit/s max – DVD (using MPEG2 compression)
8 to 15 Mbit/s typ – HDTV quality (with bit-rate reduction from MPEG-4 AVC compression)
19 Mbit/s approximate — HDV 720p (using MPEG2 compression)
24 Mbit/s max — AVCHD (using MPEG4 AVC compression)
25 Mbit/s approximate — HDV 1080i (using MPEG2 compression)
29.4 Mbit/s max – HD DVD
40 Mbit/s max – Blu-ray Disc (using MPEG2, AVC or VC-1 compression)
Edited by: "kunyk" 10th Jul 2012
I went ahead and purchased the homeplug listed on here earlier today:

hotukdeals.com/dea…048

Thought id get 500mb for future proofing and not much more expensive then 200mb homeplugs.
Sorry guys, just one more thing.... I purchased the Homeplug above, if i wanted to connect my Smart TV and Xbox 360 to one Homeplug, would this be possible, with some sort of splitter? Or do i need a 3rd homeplug.
anil2

Sorry guys, just one more thing.... I purchased the Homeplug above, if i … Sorry guys, just one more thing.... I purchased the Homeplug above, if i wanted to connect my Smart TV and Xbox 360 to one Homeplug, would this be possible, with some sort of splitter? Or do i need a 3rd homeplug.

You could use something like this:

hotukdeals.com/dea…029
KillFelix

You could use something like … You could use something like this:http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/tp-link-8-port-10-100-unmanaged-switch-tl-sf1008d-9-05-amazon-1261029

Is a 10/100 good enough for 360 and TV? Or would i be better off going for the gigabit one?
anil2

Is a 10/100 good enough for 360 and TV? Or would i be better off going … Is a 10/100 good enough for 360 and TV? Or would i be better off going for the gigabit one?

Both 360s and smart TVs only have 10/100 anyway, so it will be fine
Thanks very much for the help guys!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants