Found 18th Mar 2009
I am thinking of buying my son a sat nav and would like any reccommendations and at a good price

1. Ask
  2. Sat Nav
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Sat Nav
8 Comments

I use TomTom and find it to be very good on the whole. I was looking to buy a satnav for my son and looked at Navman. I tried the simple test of entering a postcode to see where it located it on the map and it got it wrong each time I tried. This was not a new postcode either.

I think TomTom have the best of the user interfaces but if you want to read up the reviews, I suggest pocketgpsworld.com.

Garmin Nuvi 255W

Ill add abit more why this is ace:

Its UK and EUROPE! its a bigger screen (widescreen), and slimmer than most the TomToms. Its got some crazy picture thing, where you download pics off google, and pop them on here, and itll show you the route there.. it is the best piece of kit i seen at a reasonable price.

Also, Garmin use NavTeq maps which are more precise and better... where tomtom use their own version (cant remeber what they called? teleatlas or something)

check the spec: ]http//ww…34Q

i've got a tom tom one and very easy to use, unlike my hubby's mitchelin one out of argos avoid that.

TOM TOM are by far better, they have the more coverage then any other, i had a navman when delivering incenter of london but they fail due to the high buildings, so i got a tom tom 720 and never had a problem.
yes they are a lot more expensive but you pay for what you get.

Kandiman1983;4675026

Garmin Nuvi 255WAlso, Garmin use NavTeq maps which are more precise and … Garmin Nuvi 255WAlso, Garmin use NavTeq maps which are more precise and better... where tomtom use their own version (cant remeber what they called? teleatlas or something)

TomTom don't use their own! You don't think a little company in the Netherlands has mapped all of the roads in the United States and Europe do you? :roll:

All satnav companies source their maps from one of only two or three in the world. The difference between each product is the difference between these companies' maps, the interface and the look-and-feel.

Years ago TomTom sourced their maps from a company (can't remember it's name but it might have been something like Atlas) whose node data was poor, meaning that it wasn't up to date on where you could turn legally. They changed their supplier and things improved. But of course if a council closes off a road or makes it one-way, then you will still be caught out. It's only a machine, after all.

Here, research a little bit and you'll find you can install TomTom software and save buckets!

the 4.3" version
ebuyer.com/pro…674

the 3.5" version
ebuyer.com/pro…672
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition62653
    2. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines11
    3. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers33
    4. Chat magazine issue 4323