Which shop and (particular variety maybe?) are you planning to buy your turkey from....are you buying from the same place as last year

Found 20th Dec 2017
Lots of different varieties - difficult to decide

Any recommendations for the best quality at a fair price ?

(lets exclude Harrods/Selfridges and Harvey Nicks)

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments

After spending about 12 years in the meat industry before realising there wasn’t enough money in it, I would always advise a fresh one, to many additives in frozen if your budget can stretch that’s the way to go.

A cooking tip, cook it upside down and turn it half way through cooking, the fat on the back of the bird goes through the breast meat making it more juicy.

Dont forget get your local butcher, if you have a good one near you it’s well worth it over the supermarkets and m&s. Saying that though we will be getting two large breasts from Costco, I packing it with homemade sausage meat and fresh herbs covered in streaky bacon. Perfect.

wayners32 m ago

Any supermarket.. Frozen probably... I would wait until Christmas eve pm …Any supermarket.. Frozen probably... I would wait until Christmas eve pm as its real quiet plus the fresh can be discounted but others in house won't risk it.. Buying tomorrow from tesco.. Don't think there any difference between stores. A turkey is a turkey. Frozen turkey meat is slightly denser... Well thats how it seems to me but no difference in taste I feal

32833541-bzGkW.jpg
31 Comments

Ah but fresh or frozen?

Got mine in lidl large for £15 frozen

Got a basted one once from asda not good.
Edited by: "joannepetrie" 20th Dec 2017

I’m pleased to say that it’s beef and lamb for us again this year. At least the meat is gone within a few meals instead of ad infinitum

Don't like turkey. Having Crispy Duck this year.

Any supermarket.. Frozen probably... I would wait until Christmas eve pm as its real quiet plus the fresh can be discounted but others in house won't risk it.. Buying tomorrow from tesco.. Don't think there any difference between stores. A turkey is a turkey. Frozen turkey meat is slightly denser... Well thats how it seems to me but no difference in taste I feal

Original Poster

Predikuesi6 m ago

I’m pleased to say that it’s beef and lamb for us again this year. At lea …I’m pleased to say that it’s beef and lamb for us again this year. At least the meat is gone within a few meals instead of ad infinitum

my wife's family like a traditional turkey, quite jealous of the beef and lamb Christmas/Festivus/Chanukah feast

Our family have had a (always far too big) fresh turkey from a local far every year since I was born, but this year we’re doing an M&S turkey crown for the first time (We chose m&s because they won a taste test in good housekeeping I think) And on Boxing Day we’re probably popping to our local sainsburys to pick up a heavily discounted one for the freezer I love turkey, though it doesn’t seem as special any more as it’s now readily available in supermarkets all year round.

My friends always have a rib of beef which always appeals to me...
Edited by: "dazbang" 20th Dec 2017

wayners32 m ago

Any supermarket.. Frozen probably... I would wait until Christmas eve pm …Any supermarket.. Frozen probably... I would wait until Christmas eve pm as its real quiet plus the fresh can be discounted but others in house won't risk it.. Buying tomorrow from tesco.. Don't think there any difference between stores. A turkey is a turkey. Frozen turkey meat is slightly denser... Well thats how it seems to me but no difference in taste I feal

32833541-bzGkW.jpg

If its just me and the Mrs I would usually go for a M&S Turkey Crown, this year is at the in laws and they have ordered one from the local farmer.

After spending about 12 years in the meat industry before realising there wasn’t enough money in it, I would always advise a fresh one, to many additives in frozen if your budget can stretch that’s the way to go.

A cooking tip, cook it upside down and turn it half way through cooking, the fat on the back of the bird goes through the breast meat making it more juicy.

Dont forget get your local butcher, if you have a good one near you it’s well worth it over the supermarkets and m&s. Saying that though we will be getting two large breasts from Costco, I packing it with homemade sausage meat and fresh herbs covered in streaky bacon. Perfect.

My in laws are farmers and have 4 thousand turkeys, bronze is the most popular, although I get mine for free along with the bacon and chiplatoes.

I would say if you can then buy free range and locally farmed. Maybe difficult if you're in London.

Only trouble with fresh turkey is that some places can't cope with the orders. Some smaller places store them where they shouldn't. Sheds. Out buildings ect.. Also seen my local butcher buying meat from supermarket to make up his orders. Worries me the shear amount of fresh turkeys and the lack of storage.. We bought a turkey off a butcher back in the 90s and it was gone bad. Smelt bad white cooking to.. Be careful where you buy!
Edited by: "wayners" 20th Dec 2017

eslick22 m ago

After spending about 12 years in the meat industry before realising there …After spending about 12 years in the meat industry before realising there wasn’t enough money in it, I would always advise a fresh one, to many additives in frozen if your budget can stretch that’s the way to go. A cooking tip, cook it upside down and turn it half way through cooking, the fat on the back of the bird goes through the breast meat making it more juicy. Dont forget get your local butcher, if you have a good one near you it’s well worth it over the supermarkets and m&s. Saying that though we will be getting two large breasts from Costco, I packing it with homemade sausage meat and fresh herbs covered in streaky bacon. Perfect.

How about Waitrose's Norfolk Bronze compared to other supermarkets'?

eslick33 m ago

Saying that though we will be getting two large breasts from Costco, I …Saying that though we will be getting two large breasts from Costco, I packing it with homemade sausage meat and fresh herbs covered in streaky bacon. Perfect.

That sounds really erotic

No need for me to buy this year, but whenever I do need I go to M&S food hall late Xmas Eve, waltz past all those queuing to collect their orders, and pick up at least 50% reduced turkey crown (or whatever, I'm not too fussed) and flashy dessert and leave.

splender1 h, 2 m ago

How about Waitrose's Norfolk Bronze compared to other supermarkets'?

there used to be a difference in the premium supermarket but I would go as far as saying now not so much, like everything. The overall quality will be the around the same for each, even butchers now wont have single source all from their local farm, and farm shops will only have limited numbers of their own. Its all scaled up but as Airfix said try looking for free range, locally sourced where possible.

In the 70s I used to go to with my dad who had a butchers shop to the farm, fill up the van with turkeys and they would be left hanging in the shop right up to Christmas, from then we never saw him until Christmas Eve as he had to sleep in the shop as it would always be knocked off. I always wanted to follow my dad into it but, long hours and though as kids we wanted for nothing but there was no holidays, and no money in it sadly and we spent little time with him best thing I did was give it up and I get to spend time with my kids which is a bonus.

have a great Christmas everyone.

I don't do Turkey often, having brisket and gammon this year, because I love them.

Bought a frozen Turkey from aldi once, was rotten when I defrosted it.

Replaced it with a fresh one from Waitrose, was lovely. But... Pro tip, measure your oven first. It was so big I had to take it's wings off with a saw to make it fit. Never again.

Dislike turkeys.
Will be getting a couple of capons from the butcher.
Edited by: "Bestard" 20th Dec 2017

If you are having turkey then turkey crown is the way to go or cook the legs separate. It’s a pain to get the timing so the breast meat is not dried out but the legs are cooked through.

Any Turkey (crown preferably) . The taste and juiciness come from the basting . Either half cook upside down or shove spices and butter between the breast meat and skin - Or both. And of course bacon strips over the breast for all but the final browning .

Even pre basted Norfolk Bronze turkeys ( V Expensive) will be dry and tasteless if just chucked in the oven for the requisite time .

wayners3 h, 4 m ago

Any supermarket.. Frozen probably... I would wait until Christmas eve pm …Any supermarket.. Frozen probably... I would wait until Christmas eve pm as its real quiet plus the fresh can be discounted but others in house won't risk it....

What fun you have in your house; playing chicken with a turkey.

Ordered ours from a local butcher and will be collecting it on Saturday. More expensive than supermarket but hoping it’s worth it

We are having turkey parcels from our local butcher. They consist of a thick slice of ham, a large portion of stuffing and finally two slices of turkey breast meat. All pre-cooked. Adults and children devoured them last year and want the same this year. I will buy a turkey crown, from the butcher, for cold cuts.

Why would you spend a small fortune on turkey when you can get a decent joint of beef or lamb that will actually have a nice taste!?

I got half a welsh lamb through friends recently, delicious and not that far off the price of turkey from a supermarket.

AnnaMak3 h, 23 m ago

Why would you spend a small fortune on turkey when you can get a decent …Why would you spend a small fortune on turkey when you can get a decent joint of beef or lamb that will actually have a nice taste!?I got half a welsh lamb through friends recently, delicious and not that far off the price of turkey from a supermarket.

Why not?? Not everyone likes beef or lamb!

We dont eat Turkey very much during the year but have plenty chicken/beef/lamb/pork etc.

We always have a nice beef joint from Costco at new year, I get lamb regularly from my brother.
Edited by: "takethatfan1978" 20th Dec 2017

Cockerel is my favourite

Ordered ours from Musslefoods the again this year as last years was lovely.
I'm a huge fan of Turkey and after having fresh I wouldn't buy frozen again after I had had a bad frozen one.

airfix20th Dec

My in laws are farmers and have 4 thousand turkeys, bronze is the most …My in laws are farmers and have 4 thousand turkeys, bronze is the most popular, although I get mine for free along with the bacon and chiplatoes. I would say if you can then buy free range and locally farmed. Maybe difficult if you're in London.

What are chiplatoes?

deeky19 m ago

What are chiplatoes?

Guess they meant chipolatas.

I've never had a roast turkey in my life

How come turkey crowns are more expensive than a whole turkey? More money for less bird

hearts223 m ago

Guess they meant chipolatas. I've never had a roast turkey in my life …Guess they meant chipolatas. I've never had a roast turkey in my life

He might have meant chipped potatoes

deeky1 m ago

He might have meant chipped potatoes

We'll wait for clarification
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions