Groups

Which shop can i buy a external dvd/cd drive from and then return it?

Is this possible basiclly i wana boot windows xp on to my asus eee and i have the iso?

68 Comments

Banned

Explain...

You mean you have an XP install disc, or you have a pucker XP OS as an image?

Original Poster

Basically ive got a ISO of a xp disc right and for me to install i have to burn it to a disk which i already have so no point.

I want to boot the iso directly from my usb? make sense?

Speak to T0mm lol. he helped me.

Original Poster

hes not online he helped me last time. I fuming atm im going crazy seriously. Its pissing me off to a level where i wana bin the thing.

This is available on the net and made specifically for booting from USB!!

Original Poster

Where pm pls

eeeguides.com/

did mine with info off there

Original Poster

i saw that but was complicated

nah its not mate, just follow the steps, links to apps neede are supplied, worked spot on for me

Banned

theres a free virtual cd/dvd simulator called daemontools which allows you to mount and run ISO files through it and it sees them as proper disks ;-)

Original Poster

problem is i need to be able to run it through the bios ?

Original Poster

Thanks naem

Original Poster

thank you everyone for the time being will rep once done

MarzBarz;2852829

Thanks naem

No probs! Have not tried it myself!! :thumbsup:

]http//ww…tml

I tried this a few days ago..worked well.

Banned

oh right through the bios i take it the hard drive you are copying it to is completely formatted just now?

One thing, making the bootable sd card using a dell and vista is a sloooow process.

Original Poster

im using xp and a dell lol

Original Poster

Forget this lol.

Which shop can i get a cd drive and then return it to after i used it ?

Banned

so when you say and a usb...is this a usb hdd, memory stick or what mate?

Original Poster

memory stick usb?

Banned

MarzBarz;2852744

I want to boot the iso directly from my usb? make sense?

Unfortunately it doesnt make sense!!!! [edit - been trying to reply since you first posted. For some reason Ive not been able to - weird!]

I'm still not clear what you have!

Its not possible to install XP from USB. However, if you have a ghosted image of an installation, then it should work. It may have to be modified, but it can be done. Like most things there are workarounds

Ive got a similar issue. I wanted to use my works portable/light laptop for personal use via USB. Couldnt get it to work. Then I thought I should just get another drive, install inside the machine, then take that drive and use with an external casing via USB. Unfortunately the machine has a propritory 1.8" drive, so just gave up in the end.

Banned

MarzBarz;2852975

memory stick usb?

Providing its made into a bootable device, it can work. I made a bootable linux stick for the laptop mentioned above. Unfortunately, I then couldnt get the mobile broadband USB device to load - and I couldnt figure out how to get it to work during the OS loading.

MarzBarz;2852943

Forget this lol.Which shop can i get a cd drive and then return it to … Forget this lol.Which shop can i get a cd drive and then return it to after i used it ?

Catalogues. Littlewoods etc. they are great for returns lol.

Scratch that idea. they dont sell em.

Argos ?

Original Poster

Argos?

MarzBarz;2853010

Argos?

:thumbsup:

argos.co.uk/sta…htm

Doesn't say anything about being excluded from the 16 day guarantee. I'd just say I cant get it to work and want a refund.

Banned

2seconds til i wiki and find out what an asus eee is lol

Banned

Do you not have an external 3.5" hard drive case you could mangle together to use?

Banned

riiiiite so it has no cd drives lol. Does it have an operating system on it already because why do you want to do the install from the BIOS?

Original Poster

umm i got spare dvd/cd roms but not the cases.

argh this is so annoying.

It was so easy last time i installed xp but i lost the damn files

Original Poster

Basically it happened like this.

I had xp but i forgot to activate so it asks for activation.

So then i try restoring linux but when trying to restore it deleted xp and wouldnt restore.

So now i have no operating software lol.

salder21;2853047

riiiiite so it has no cd drives lol. Does it have an operating … riiiiite so it has no cd drives lol. Does it have an operating system on it already because why do you want to do the install from the BIOS?

you have to delete the linux etc, everything, to make room for the xp installation.

Original Poster

FFS its outta stock in my argos.

Banned

MarzBarz;2853068

Basically it happened like this.I had xp but i forgot to activate so it … Basically it happened like this.I had xp but i forgot to activate so it asks for activation.So then i try restoring linux but when trying to restore it deleted xp and wouldnt restore.So now i have no operating software lol.

lol....... So basically you used a hookey copy without an activation crack? LOL

Did the laptop not come with anything to do a restore? Is it a hard rive one - or just flash?

Banned

ah got ya

guv;2853110

lol....... So basically you used a hookey copy without an activation … lol....... So basically you used a hookey copy without an activation crack? LOLDid the laptop not come with anything to do a restore? Is it a hard rive one - or just flash?

They come with a restore disc.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tesco vouchers?11
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767345
      3. word association Game73944515
      4. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2238

See more discussions