Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Which side is the sun on?

Posted 12th JanEdited by:"deeky"
Ok, here's one for you. Imagine you were sailing across The North Pacific Ocean from Vancouver to Tokyo. On a boat. In September. Which side of the boat would the sun be shining on for most of the day? Is there anywhere you can map the route of the sun on any given date? I know the sun rises in the east and sets in the west so I'm thinking the port side of the boat would get the sun during the day. Yes? Or are there details I would need to take into account?

3386778.jpg
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
Never go where the sun don't shine.
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 12th Jan
32 Comments
Think you have answered your own question
When you’re on the northern hemisphere, Sun is always South. In this case- left side.
Never go where the sun don't shine.
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 12th Jan
cwj382012/01/2020 10:10

Think you have answered your own question

I suppose I just wanted confirmation. I've been wrong before. Can't remember the last time but I'm sure I must have been
If the moon can be plotted down to about 10 mins accuracy for any map grid ref point for weeks ahead. I'm no Brian Cox, but if there is publicly available future tides in/out peak graph data for any location on places such as BBC weather website section, then I would assume that also the sun plotting for map coordinates must also be publicly available?
noahsdad12/01/2020 10:45

If the moon can be plotted down to about 10 mins accuracy for any map grid …If the moon can be plotted down to about 10 mins accuracy for any map grid ref point for weeks ahead. I'm no Brian Cox, but if there is publicly available future tides in/out peak graph data for any location on places such as BBC weather website section, then I would assume that also the sun plotting for map coordinates must also be publicly available?

I think something like this but I don't know how to work it

sunearthtools.com/dp/…=en
Left side of the boat, if it is on any other side you're probably going the wrong way!
Edited by: ".MUFC." 12th Jan
Why the need for the knowledge of the sun. Is the sun desired, or not desired in this instance? Is this going to be a solar powered boat, or is more the issue of sun burn, heat exhaustion etc?
noahsdad12/01/2020 12:39

Why the need for the knowledge of the sun. Is the sun desired, or not …Why the need for the knowledge of the sun. Is the sun desired, or not desired in this instance? Is this going to be a solar powered boat, or is more the issue of sun burn, heat exhaustion etc?

I'm thinking of taking a cruise on that particular route and would like to book a balcony cabin on the sunny side of the ship. It's a one-way repositioning cruise which involves about 8 days at sea so wouldn't want my balcony to be in the shade for the duration of the cruise.
Think POSH Port Out Starboard Home. Sailing from England to India back in the day to see the land on the way out you had, a port side cabin. The return you went starboard as it thought it was a better view to see the land rather than the boring sea. As you are going the opposite way and you want the sun I assume the same applies?
Meh.
On the sunny side of the street
The Sun is roughly over the equator. It’s at its highest around noon local time.
Thanks for your input everyone. I think it's established that the sun will be on the left
In the northern hemisphere, the sun rises east/sets west, but moves more northerly in the Winter and transits southerley in the summer. So, generally, in Winter at mid latitudes the sun rises North East and sets North West.
You can use the calc here suncalc.org/ to set the date and time and the little grey circle is the position of the sun.
The highest northern latitude where the sun can be directly overhead is the tropic of cancer, which goes through Taiwan and the tip of Baja California.

Anything north of that and the sun is always south of you at noon.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 12th Jan
suejb212/01/2020 15:06

Think POSH Port Out Starboard Home. Sailing from England to India back in …Think POSH Port Out Starboard Home. Sailing from England to India back in the day to see the land on the way out you had, a port side cabin. The return you went starboard as it thought it was a better view to see the land rather than the boring sea. As you are going the opposite way and you want the sun I assume the same applies?

I never knew that "folk etymology" of the word Posh until last week. Was on telly but can't remember what it was I was watching.
Oh wait, you’re having another holiday ?

1)its alright for some

2)train drivers get paid more than me

3)remember your last cruise ( June .?) hope she’s walking again
varaha12/01/2020 10:11

When you’re on the northern hemisphere, Sun is always South. In this case- …When you’re on the northern hemisphere, Sun is always South. In this case- left side.

Not true

Even in the UK, in May - July, the sun is to the north in the early morning and late evening

Deeky, this app is excellent

play.google.com/sto…set

39662632-uX4Di.jpg39662632-LSS3T.jpg39662632-ugjYl.jpg
Edited by: "chocci" 13th Jan
airbus33012/01/2020 17:39

In the northern hemisphere, the sun rises east/sets west, but moves more …In the northern hemisphere, the sun rises east/sets west, but moves more northerly in the Winter and transits southerley in the summer. So, generally, in Winter at mid latitudes the sun rises North East and sets North West.You can use the calc here https://www.suncalc.org/#/35.9745,-161.2968,2/2020.01.12/06:38/1/3 to set the date and time and the little grey circle is the position of the sun.

I believe you have that all the wrong way around. In winter, the sun sets in the south west and rises in the south east

39662659-SIkkE.jpg39662659-nzA70.jpg
cecilmcroberts12/01/2020 21:45

I never knew that "folk etymology" of the word Posh until last week. Was …I never knew that "folk etymology" of the word Posh until last week. Was on telly but can't remember what it was I was watching.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang ?

chocci13/01/2020 06:47

Not trueEven in the UK, in May - July, the sun is to the north in the …Not trueEven in the UK, in May - July, the sun is to the north in the early morning and late eveningDeeky, this app is excellenthttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alokmandavgane.sunrisesunset[Image] [Image] [Image]

I installed it, and it does look good, but I don't have a clue what I'm doing with it

airbus33012/01/2020 17:39

In the northern hemisphere, the sun rises east/sets west, but moves more …In the northern hemisphere, the sun rises east/sets west, but moves more northerly in the Winter and transits southerley in the summer. So, generally, in Winter at mid latitudes the sun rises North East and sets North West.You can use the calc here https://www.suncalc.org/#/35.9745,-161.2968,2/2020.01.12/06:38/1/3 to set the date and time and the little grey circle is the position of the sun.

Which little grey circle? Do you mean the upturned crescent shape?

I dragged it to half way across the Pacific and ended up with this on the SunCalc site. Am I right in thinking that I've arrowed the path of the sun? If so, that looks perfect, sun on the balcony all day

39663305-TaSJ2.jpg
deeky13/01/2020 09:22

I installed it, and it does look good, but I don't have a clue what … I installed it, and it does look good, but I don't have a clue what I'm doing with it Which little grey circle? Do you mean the upturned crescent shape? I dragged it to half way across the Pacific and ended up with this on the SunCalc site. Am I right in thinking that I've arrowed the path of the sun? If so, that looks perfect, sun on the balcony all day [Image]

Thought it was very intuitive

You can change the date on the HOME View to see sunrise sunset etc info

You can see the sun and moon transit on the 3D view by moving the time bar at the bottom.

Nice small widget too showing sunrise and sunset times for the current day
Tokyo 10:07am September 17th

39663372-6IKU0.jpg
chocci13/01/2020 09:28

Thought it was very intuitive You can change the date on the HOME View to …Thought it was very intuitive You can change the date on the HOME View to see sunrise sunset etc infoYou can see the sun and moon transit on the 3D view by moving the time bar at the bottom. Nice small widget too showing sunrise and sunset times for the current day

The trouble is, there is no location in the middle of the Pacific and when I input what I think are the co-ordinates, nothing happens.
chocci13/01/2020 09:33

Tokyo 10:07am September 17th[Image]

So Tokyo is in the centre of the compass? Can you do that for a point halfway between Vancouver and Tokyo?
deeky13/01/2020 09:33

The trouble is, there is no location in the middle of the Pacific and when …The trouble is, there is no location in the middle of the Pacific and when I input what I think are the co-ordinates, nothing happens.

Vancouver 49 degrees north, Tokyo 36degrees North so pretty much the a similar line of latitude across the pacific
chocci13/01/2020 09:36

Vancouver 49 degrees north, Tokyo 36degrees North so pretty much the a …Vancouver 49 degrees north, Tokyo 36degrees North so pretty much the a similar line of latitude across the pacific

42 degrees north midway between the two cities

39663429-tMfwm.jpg
chocci13/01/2020 06:59

I believe you have that all the wrong way around. In winter, the sun sets …I believe you have that all the wrong way around. In winter, the sun sets in the south west and rises in the south east[Image] [Image]

My bad, you are of course, completely correct. doh!
chocci13/01/2020 09:40

42 degrees north midway between the two cities[Image]

So would you agree that this is roughly the sun's orbit for that location?

39663503-P12Nu.jpg
deeky13/01/2020 09:52

So would you agree that this is roughly the sun's orbit for that …So would you agree that this is roughly the sun's orbit for that location?[Image]

yes although the sun isnt in an orbit around us #pedantalert
chocci13/01/2020 10:34

yes although the sun isnt in an orbit around us #pedantalert

Oh yeah
Edited by: "deeky" 13th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions