which site is best to buy Xiaomi?

Found 29th Jul 2017
I'm looking to buy a Xiaomi phone, either mi5 or 6, but wondered which website you guys recommend? I see some sites say GearBest is a must, others say to leave them well alone and go with others. Some advice would be good, to help a decision!

1. Ask
  2. Xiaomi
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Xiaomi
10 Comments

I've bought Xiaomi phones from both Gearbest and HonorBuy without issue.

In any case make sure you get one with a genuine Global ROM (and check that the Global ROM has officially been released by Xiaomi for the model you're looking at) as otherwise you're likely to have software that's riddled with spamware - I always flash with the official ROM just to be sure.

And use an EU warehouse if you're worried about import duty (not that most people experience problems with that).

If a foreign supplier, consider one that meets requirements for UK-enforceable Section 75 protection, which is direct payment by UK credit card processed by the merchant (e.g. not PayPal). Recent posts on HUKD showed Eglobalcantral processes credit card payments this way and Eglobalcentral is quoted as the mechant on the credit card statment. Not sure about other merchants.

I have bought 3 phones and a few other Xiaomi products via the "Official" Xiaomi store on AliExpress with no problems; delivery times for the last 3 purchases were 7-10 working days.

Gentle_Giant

I have bought 3 phones and a few other Xiaomi products via the "Official" … I have bought 3 phones and a few other Xiaomi products via the "Official" Xiaomi store on AliExpress with no problems; delivery times for the last 3 purchases were 7-10 working days.

I think you will find that is not official!
I have used most of them and the quickest was Banggood. Bear in mind royal mails custom charge. Also take into consideration the first 2 comments above. All depends on your technical abilities (Rom) and your phone provider (Band 20).
Edited by: "gsnares" 29th Jul 2017

Gearbest are on the only recommended for none phone purchases list on the xiaomi reddit sub. I'd use this list and our deals section.

reddit.com/r/X…ase

gsnares

I think you will find that is not official!I have used most of them and … I think you will find that is not official!I have used most of them and the quickest was Banggood. Bear in mind royal mails custom charge. Also take into consideration the first 2 comments above. All depends on your technical abilities (Rom) and your phone provider (Band 20).

Please note the quotation marks around the world "Official", I am well aware of the shops status.

As for RM customs charges, I have NEVER had a customs charge on anything that has come into the UK from China via RM, not even a roof rack marked as "value = £175" on the customs form stuck on the packaging.

Now stuff from the USA, thats a different story.

I've just bought a Xiaomi phone from Tech In The Basket techinthebasket.com/ I chose not pay additional costs for expedited delivery. Took 12 days the phone to reach me. Product ok, but no UK region on phone so needed App to add it. Annoying as they actively sell within the UK. I'd use TechInTheBasket again whereas GearBest I'd avoid.

lakes-claire18th Aug

I've just bought a Xiaomi phone from Tech In The Basket …I've just bought a Xiaomi phone from Tech In The Basket https://www.techinthebasket.com/ I chose not pay additional costs for expedited delivery. Took 12 days the phone to reach me. Product ok, but no UK region on phone so needed App to add it. Annoying as they actively sell within the UK. I'd use TechInTheBasket again whereas GearBest I'd avoid.

Sadly, many European countries are missing from the list; set the region to India and the clock to GMT and let your network handle the time/date updates.

India, because that used to give more free apps on the early Xiaomi phones; not sure if it is still true, but I still set mine to India.

Gentle_Giant46 m ago

Sadly, many European countries are missing from the list; set the region …Sadly, many European countries are missing from the list; set the region to India and the clock to GMT and let your network handle the time/date updates.India, because that used to give more free apps on the early Xiaomi phones; not sure if it is still true, but I still set mine to India.

Everything works but data, set it to South Africa. Do you know why can't use mobile data? Will only use phone in UK.

Because it isnt officially sold in the UK, it doesnt always set up correctly using the networks auto set-up systems; I had to manually type in the data settings for GiffGaff to get both of mine to work.

Your mobile operator should have the information somewhere on their website. it is a faff, but the phones are really good and you get MIUI updates, upgrades and security fixes forever - my oldest is nearly 5 generations out of date, and STILL got the latest version of MIUI.

If the set up is correct, but still no data, check the settings under "SIM card and mobile networks" etc, there is an on/off setting for mobile data.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions