Which smart bulbs?

Posted 26th Dec 2019
Merry Christmas

we got an echo dot aswell as fire tv cube.
we wanna control light bulbs but been told u cant with the dot and he wasnt sure about the fire tv cube. this was a guy in currys.

anyone able to explain what's needed to get this going? he mentioned something about a bridge?
thanks
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Philips Hue is the way to go. A starter kit will come with bulbs and a bridge, possibly a dimmer too, depending which starter pack.

I think you probably missed the best deals on Black Friday. Anything sub £100 for bridge, 3 colour bulbs and a dimmer woul be a decent price.
Edited by: "deeky" 26th Dec 2019
deeky26/12/2019 16:31

Philips Hue is the way to go. A starter kit will come with bulbs and a …Philips Hue is the way to go. A starter kit will come with bulbs and a bridge, possibly a dimmer too, depending which starter pack.I think you probably missed the best deals on Black Friday. Anything sub £100 for bridge, 3 colour bulbs and a dimmer woul be a decent price.

Thanks. So I defo need a bridge? Is that needed for the echo or the cube?
I think the latest ones can connect via bluetooth so you don't need a bridge (although there are bt limitations vs a bridge). I don't know about the cube. I control mine with an app and Echo/Dots.
Edited by: "deeky" 26th Dec 2019
Tp link bulbs. No server/bridge/base unit required. Fit, power on, add to app. I have loads all over my house on schedules also on manual control.

Pick them up on Amazon for around £15 each. Can get ones that change colour as well and dimmable as well without changing the wiring.
ArcadeAssassin26/12/2019 16:57

Tp link bulbs. No server/bridge/base unit required. Fit, power on, add to …Tp link bulbs. No server/bridge/base unit required. Fit, power on, add to app. I have loads all over my house on schedules also on manual control. Pick them up on Amazon for around £15 each. Can get ones that change colour as well and dimmable as well without changing the wiring.

Thank u. Read that some white bulbs are more yellowish. What are the tp link bulbs like for brightness?
Our hive bulbs work well with echo dot
richje10026/12/2019 17:05

Thank u. Read that some white bulbs are more yellowish. What are the tp …Thank u. Read that some white bulbs are more yellowish. What are the tp link bulbs like for brightness?

My cool white ones are white and my warm white ones are what a normal old style light bulb would be like. The filament design ones look really good as they look like older tilly lamp style bulbs but these are a-lot warmer yellow than the others so I have these in outside lights.

I have no complaints and never think that Ive made a wrong choice when reading or whatever.
Theres so many different makes to choose hahaha. I just want a few white bulbs
Unless I’m misunderstanding something then Hue bulbs work fine with the dot, you set it up in the hue app first then connected it within the Alexa app. I set two separate dots and two hue bulbs up for my lads yesterday
Edited by: "INDUSTRYHATER" 26th Dec 2019
INDUSTRYHATER26/12/2019 17:35

Unless I’m misunderstanding something then Hue bulbs work fine with the d …Unless I’m misunderstanding something then Hue bulbs work fine with the dot, you set it up in the hue app first then connected it within the Alexa app. I set two separate dots and two hue bulbs up for my lads yesterday

They bluetooth bulbs? Which ones did u get?
How many bulbs you looking for? I got these click, if you buy 4 then you pay £7.54 each. Works with your echo dot, or you can control them via app.
RiverDragon826/12/2019 18:55

How many bulbs you looking for? I got these click, if you buy 4 then you …How many bulbs you looking for? I got these click, if you buy 4 then you pay £7.54 each. Works with your echo dot, or you can control them via app.

Thanks. I'm looking for 4 but 2 x bayonet and 2 x screw cap.
richje10026/12/2019 17:56

They bluetooth bulbs? Which ones did u get?

Yes they are Bluetooth

39505459-AUvTd.jpg
richje10026/12/2019 19:15

I bought these adaptors click.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 26th Dec 2019
richje10026/12/2019 17:05

Thank u. Read that some white bulbs are more yellowish. What are the tp …Thank u. Read that some white bulbs are more yellowish. What are the tp link bulbs like for brightness?

richje10026/12/2019 17:17

Theres so many different makes to choose hahaha. I just want a few white …Theres so many different makes to choose hahaha. I just want a few white bulbs

richje10026/12/2019 19:15

i bought a few of these:
amazon.co.uk/TP-…X2Z
they were on offer last month

sunlight at 6500k which i think was bright white you can get

the pack comes with an adapter e27 and b22

hope this helps
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions