which smart lights do i need? these are my existing bulbs...

Found 17th Sep 2017
i want to try out a smart light bulb, so can i just replace an existing light bulb with a similar fitting bulb - or do i need something else i.e. a hub / will it work my existing switches on / off etc

2792225-ozy3g.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Most smart bulbs require a hub but I remember reading somewhere about some that don't. About the second question, I'm not sure but I would suspect they do (don't hold me on it though). I have some philips hue bulbs and I bought a light switch for it as we were moving when I got them and there were no pre-existing light switches as the light fitting etc was installed by us
Get Hue.

Switches now come free with the light bulbs. Great for installing light switches without the need of an electrician also! Have lights off next to your bed!
Original Poster
Is it diy ? If I need to replace switches using current wiring etc what fittings do I need ?
wakkaday50 m ago

Is it diy ? If I need to replace switches using current wiring etc what …Is it diy ? If I need to replace switches using current wiring etc what fittings do I need ?

Quote comments so I can see your response.

The lights link via your wifi via a bridge supplied with a kit.

The switch is battery operated, and also functions as a remote that you can take away from the switch housing that simply sticks to the wall.

Wireless and easy to set up.
Original Poster
hairray54 m ago

Quote comments so I can see your response.The lights link via your wifi …Quote comments so I can see your response.The lights link via your wifi via a bridge supplied with a kit.The switch is battery operated, and also functions as a remote that you can take away from the switch housing that simply sticks to the wall. Wireless and easy to set up.

ok thanks

so any generic smart bulb will fit. i wont need adaptors to fit - screw cap etc?
You get different fittings, GU10, E27 and B22. The only reason you'll need an adaptor is if you buy a B22 bulb for an E27 bulb.
Ikea sell adapter 2 for £1 or similar (trying to remember off the top of my head) so don't worry about screw types.

I seen screw in bulbs in Poundworld (although not in recent weeks) for (ahem) £1 so don't be spending £10 or so, I'm sure they can be found for <£3.

I listened to a Podcast that said replace bulbs now and you will eventually save money. Even the type you showed above they are more efficient and will pay back after so many years. These bulbs new have a lifespan of over 25 years.

I've replaced most of the bulbs in my house btw.
Apologies, I'm talking about LEDs, not smart bulbs.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants