Which Smart Watch for Running?

Found 16th Aug 2017
I am on Android and am wanting a watch for when I go running. Ideally, I want it to have GPS and work with MapMyRun. I'd also want it to have some kind of ability to play music, and a heart rate monitor.

Any ideas? Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
I went through this process about 1-2 years back. I started with a pebble which connected into the phone and allowed me to control music / interact with mapmyrun etc.

In the end though it still meant I had to take out my phone with me etc.

I switched to a Tomtom runner 2 which for under £100 has GPS, music and a heart monitor. It sycs with loads of services (I now prefer Strava as its a bit more social). No phone issues, much lighter etc.

I would strongly recommend considering this kind of watch. I have only had one issue with syncing and that was when it connected into my ipad rather than my android phone. But really syncing via any method is simple.
Evilmonkey1 h, 0 m ago

I went through this process about 1-2 years back. I started with a pebble …I went through this process about 1-2 years back. I started with a pebble which connected into the phone and allowed me to control music / interact with mapmyrun etc.In the end though it still meant I had to take out my phone with me etc.I switched to a Tomtom runner 2 which for under £100 has GPS, music and a heart monitor. It sycs with loads of services (I now prefer Strava as its a bit more social). No phone issues, much lighter etc.I would strongly recommend considering this kind of watch. I have only had one issue with syncing and that was when it connected into my ipad rather than my android phone. But really syncing via any method is simple.

Thanks, but the runner 3 doesn't seem to have built in heart monitor?

wiggle.co.uk/tom…3uk
The runner 2 doesn't seem to have built in heart rate monitor either?

runnersneed.com/p/t…com
It comes a few versions either plain, with HRM (Cardio) with Music or both

This is the one I have

Although obviously more expensive now than when I bought it. It's also now been replaced by the runner 3 (only a few changes)

It comes up on deals every now and then, perhaps something to keep an eye out for?
Evilmonkey1 h, 33 m ago

It comes a few versions either plain, with HRM (Cardio) with Music or …It comes a few versions either plain, with HRM (Cardio) with Music or bothThis is the one I haveAlthough obviously more expensive now than when I bought it. It's also now been replaced by the runner 3 (only a few changes)It comes up on deals every now and then, perhaps something to keep an eye out for?

Thanks. I might settle for the runner with music, without cardio which is £69.99
superfreddy20 h, 9 m ago

Thanks. I might settle for the runner with music, without cardio which is …Thanks. I might settle for the runner with music, without cardio which is £69.99

I thought I'd find the cardio element essential, but in reality it's not as important to me on my runs. Perhaps if I stepper up the training a notch, but I was going for distance not speed at the time.
I use the TomTom Spark 3
Evilmonkey16 m ago

I thought I'd find the cardio element essential, but in reality it's not …I thought I'd find the cardio element essential, but in reality it's not as important to me on my runs. Perhaps if I stepper up the training a notch, but I was going for distance not speed at the time.

So would you say the runner 2 with music, but no heart rate monitor is good? It does say it still works out how many calories you've burnt. Can you also use mapmyrun with it?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants