Groups

Which surround sound speakers DENON or tannoy

Just wondered which speaker set is better the Tannoy tfx 5.1 or the DENON SYS2020. Compact speakers around 200. Thanks.

11 Comments

I went for the Tannoy TFX 5.1 and they are excellent. I won't say I'm a complete sound nerd however I can tell the difference between an all-in-one to separates for instance and it is just amazing how good these coupled with a decent amp can be.

Can't say anything on the Denon as I have no exp with those.
    Been using mine on and off for a year now in the living room - in fact only today I've found that I now have to change the amp as it is not HDCP 2.2 compliant which means my 4k inputs into the amp = useless however I will be keeping the speaker setup as they are

Only thing to note and again this is more amp but it took a few days of tweaking to get it just right in terms of balance, distance to the front and so on

What receiver arevyou going to be using it with?

Going to stick to Yamaha
    Currently it;s a RX-V377 and I'll probably go over to a RX-V381

Original Poster

Thanks for answers. An old onkyo at the moment but plan to upgrade to a 350 quid DENON atmos receiver or an onkyo atmos one next.
    Edited by: "Babbler" 24th Dec 2016

If you can, try and get someone like RS to demo them side by side. At the end of the day it'll come down to your personal preference. I had some pretty expensive (at the time) Denons but they always seemed a tad flat to me. I tried some cheap Pioneers (10% the cost of the Denons) as a trial and, to my ears, it sounded a whole lot brighter and dynamic.

Original Poster

Will do. Tannoys are being discontinued I think. Not a bad price at richer. Prefer the look of the DENON but it's about the sound. Not sure about the small center with the DENON either... Will talk to them when they open.

Remember to let your home cinema setup the speakers for you. Are you buying a subwoofer aswell ?

Original Poster

kester76

Remember to let your home cinema setup the speakers for you. Are you … Remember to let your home cinema setup the speakers for you. Are you buying a subwoofer aswell ?

Yes but not for a few months. Already have an onkyo 605 from 5 years ago... Going strong but need a new one and new TV. Starting with speakers as we don't have to room for my floor slanders anymore... Thanks

Cool grab a b.k. subwoofer when you have the funds. Remember to set the speakers to small as it allows your to set the crossover point of the speakers and subwoofer. The subwoofer handles the low frequencies a lot better so set the frequency between 70 to 90Hz

Original Poster

kester76

Cool grab a b.k. subwoofer when you have the funds. Remember to set the … Cool grab a b.k. subwoofer when you have the funds. Remember to set the speakers to small as it allows your to set the crossover point of the speakers and subwoofer. The subwoofer handles the low frequencies a lot better so set the frequency between 70 to 90Hz

Cheers. The sets come with subwoofers.

Babbler

Cheers. The sets come with subwoofers.

Trust me the better subwoofer will make a massive difference in sound. Moving loud amounts of air slowly consumes alot of power and requires a good internal frame, speaker and amp. You can buy cheaper speakers as long as you have a good sub to back it up.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Hard drive 'died'(?), what can I do? (for computer wizards please!)47
      2. Barcelona to Lloreta de mar11
      3. Best way to use Tesco club card vouchers?55
      4. Amsterdam Booking.com advice33

See more discussions