Which tab?

Posted 7th Feb
so, bought my lad a cheap tab last year - basically it's too slow, too "glitchy" (his words) and by all accounts he is absolutely right!
we are going to replace it for his birthday but I'm not entirely sure what I need to be looking for, here's what he uses it for-
youtube
lots of naff games
browsing the web

so nothing too heavy. can anyone recommend something that will do the above relatively quickly and smoothly.
thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
kindle on offer currently, the 10 inch is £109 apparantly ..try a HUKD search.
Same question different day ...ARCHIVAL search gives results.
My kids both had 4 or 5 different tablets. Kindles, Galaxy, cheap Android ones. They all ended up the same way, slow and unusable. Ended up getting them iPads each for £180 and wish I'd have done that to start with. They still run as new 4 years later and I'd have saved enough to buy myself one and still have change.

The benefit of iPads is; schools use them, so kids are familiar with them. Then all their homework apps are made for them.
Danze198407/02/2020 08:54

My kids both had 4 or 5 different tablets. Kindles, Galaxy, cheap Android …My kids both had 4 or 5 different tablets. Kindles, Galaxy, cheap Android ones. They all ended up the same way, slow and unusable. Ended up getting them iPads each for £180 and wish I'd have done that to start with. They still run as new 4 years later and I'd have saved enough to buy myself one and still have change.The benefit of iPads is; schools use them, so kids are familiar with them. Then all their homework apps are made for them.

This, very much this, both kids have iPads and it’s a seamless interaction with their schools.
Danze198407/02/2020 08:54

My kids both had 4 or 5 different tablets. Kindles, Galaxy, cheap Android …My kids both had 4 or 5 different tablets. Kindles, Galaxy, cheap Android ones. They all ended up the same way, slow and unusable. Ended up getting them iPads each for £180 and wish I'd have done that to start with. They still run as new 4 years later and I'd have saved enough to buy myself one and still have change.The benefit of iPads is; schools use them, so kids are familiar with them. Then all their homework apps are made for them.

Yep, sometimes the best moneysaving is to buy the more expensive option first time rather than getting through several cheaper things. Although of course if you can't afford the more expensive first time then that is an issue, I've seen this known as the Vimes Boots problem.
OR. you could teach a kid to be more able to adapt to various "similar" systems compared to freaking because "it isn't apple, & therefore what i'm used to" (as i've heard kids / adult kids wail).
Mr_Gus07/02/2020 10:15

OR. you could teach a kid to be more able to adapt to various "similar" …OR. you could teach a kid to be more able to adapt to various "similar" systems compared to freaking because "it isn't apple, & therefore what i'm used to" (as i've heard kids / adult kids wail).

But as the OP and other pointed out, the cheaper tablets didn't work very well after a year or two and seemed under-powered. Maybe its better to spend on a £300 iPad that lasts four years instead of a £100 Fire that only works well for one year?
OP didn't state what they'd tried specifically though! ..IE no mention of a later gen kindle,

cheaper tablets "yes" of which we simply do not know as no context of prior types given! (sigh) ..which *would* make it easier, but this is HUKD

Currently Amazon uk has 43 pages of pc type tablets, ..that is not simply going to be Apple, samsung & kindle!

OP hasn't stated budget, the new software on kindle is way better than just a few years ago regardless, & start up when battery is drained is around 15 seconds upon reconnection, ...for what the OP stated as purposes the kid used theirs for it shouldn't be overlooked.
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 7th Feb
Stay away from kindle, very disappointed with mine
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants