Groups

Which tablet

My 15 year old boy wants to buy an ipad mini 1 in the Tesco sale for £169. For this price he could get a second hand ipad 2 off ebay etc. Apart from the bigger screen is there any other advantage over the mini 1. He has a moto g phone so knows Android. What can i get for the same price running Android. We have tried the tablets off ebay doing kitkat for about £60 but these tend to be rubbish. What about the Hannspree HANNSpad 10.1" HD £100 or Linx 10 Windows 8 Tablet PC £159 before cashback on ebuyer. He thinks the new hudl is rubbish compared to the mini 1 so that is ruled out. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

11 Comments

the hudl 1 is better than the mini 1 so you can imagine how much better the hudl 2 is than it!

ipad mini is better than the ipad 2.

ipad mini IS a ipad 2 in smaller form factor isn't it?

He will regret not getting android. I'd for for the Hudl 2 or the Linx, having Windows may be helpful for school.
    Edited by: "dereklogan7" 28th Dec 2014

[quote=diamondnine]My 15 year old boy wants to buy an ipad mini 1 in the Tesco sale for £169.

The iPad Mini is great and that is what he wants. Its could be viewed as an educational exercise in decision making.

I've got an original iPad mini. I much prefer the Apple ecosystem, but I do find the mini a bit slow on occasion loading webpages etc. Thinking of changing to one of the newer models for the better processor and the retina screen.

Better to pay the extra £40 more for a Mini with a retina screen. It's definitely worth the extra

kester76

Better to pay the extra £40 more for a Mini with a retina screen. It's … Better to pay the extra £40 more for a Mini with a retina screen. It's definitely worth the extra

Original ipad mini screen rubbish. It's like going back to the 90's

Galaxy tab 4 7 inch

If I had the choice, I'd get an iPad Mini over the iPad 2. While technically the iPad Mini is just an iPad 2 but in a smaller form factor, the 8" screen is more than adequate, It has Siri where as the iPad 2 doesnt. They have the same resolution but, because of the screen size difference, the PPI is better on the Mini - and after using an iPad 2 a couple of months back very briefly I found it to be quite blurry after using my partners Mini and other better PPI devices.

I can see why people are suggesting the Hudl/other Android tablets but, personally I think it's better to have a device of each iOS as there are some apps which are on one and not the other. Yes it does mean some apps may need to be brought twice if theres a particular app your son really likes but, it's not like he's getting rid of the Moto G/an Android phone, so he can still use any apps he may have bought on Android.

I personally had an Android phone and an iPad. I thought it silly to get an Android tablet when I have my phone. I've now got a Surface Pro and sold my iPad but, missed iOS none the less so got an iPod Touch for Christmas, so I do have the choice of OS and a wider range of apps.

- Edit: If possible, I'd probably spend the bit extra and get the Retina iPad Mini but, like I say I've been spoilt with high PPI devices as my own iPad was an Air and my last few phones have had a high PPI.
    Edited by: "bex85" 29th Dec 2015

bex85

If I had the choice, I'd get an iPad Mini over the iPad 2. While … If I had the choice, I'd get an iPad Mini over the iPad 2. While technically the iPad Mini is just an iPad 2 but in a smaller form factor, the 8" screen is more than adequate, It has Siri where as the iPad 2 doesnt. They have the same resolution but, because of the screen size difference, the PPI is better on the Mini - and after using an iPad 2 a couple of months back very briefly I found it to be quite blurry after using my partners Mini and other better PPI devices. I can see why people are suggesting the Hudl/other Android tablets but, personally I think it's better to have a device of each iOS as there are some apps which are on one and not the other. Yes it does mean some apps may need to be brought twice if theres a particular app your son really likes but, it's not like he's getting rid of the Moto G/an Android phone, so he can still use any apps he may have bought on Android.I personally had an Android phone and an iPad. I thought it silly to get an Android tablet when I have my phone. I've now got a Surface Pro and sold my iPad but, missed iOS none the less so got an iPod Touch for Christmas, so I do have the choice of OS and a wider range of apps. - Edit: If possible, I'd probably spend the bit extra and get the Retina iPad Mini but, like I say I've been spoilt with high PPI devices as my own iPad was an Air and my last few phones have had a high PPI.

Unless it is bettered this should be marked as 'best answer'. Very concise and sensible response which is streaks ahead of a lot of the drivel in this thread.
    Edited by: "ipswich78" 29th Dec 2015
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win amazing travel prizes including £2000 travel voucher, flights and holid…11
      2. LG G6 International [email protected] droidauthority22
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…77
      4. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card33

See more discussions