Groups

Which tablet for a child with additional needs? 8yrs old

Hi guys I am in the market for a tablet for my daughter who has autism/learning disabilities and struggles to read/write, I have been awarded help from the family fund and been given some options to choose from but I have no idea about tablets really as I stick to laptops for myself so I need some unbiased help please. Choices as are follows

Ipad pro johnlewis.com/app…377

Ipad mini 4 johnlewis.com/app…=ds

Ipad air 2 johnlewis.com/app…rey

Samsung Tab s tesco.com/dir…ers

Samsung pro currys.co.uk/gbu…tml?istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=apmawlrxw&istBid=tztx&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~~~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&s_kwcid=DS!700000001428950!105916003459!!!g!!PRODUCT+GROUP&device=c&ds_kids=92700014660922545&PLA=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwnKzABRDy2pb7nPSazdsBEiQAI4lZQAdT7X8h_obo9hT-GIiB3Ttnn8PW4HBaHoI1gRJGlFgaAgDh8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CKbKzfy67s8CFaoh0wod9IEA-w

I have added the links to help show what I am choosing from , they aren't from above companies so prices and warranties aren't to be taken into consideration, I will need to put money toward some of the higher end ones but it will be money well spent so again please don't take prices etc into account I am simply looking for the best tablet for longevity, learning apps, ease of use and battery life possibly as she will also take it out with her (connected to my mobile hotspot if needed) to help her cope with stressful situations, one last thing I suppose would also be the Ipad mini 4 and Ipad air 2 come in 128gb is this overkill? would that be the overall better option , Thanks for reading and any input you guys can give.

13 Comments

I have a just turned two year old who's been using my iPad mini for a few months. I bought him a kurio kids one but he's not interested.
    He's able to find YouTube and pick out the songs he likes and press the button for skip ads etc.
    Although he doesn't have special needs (as far as I'm aware) he is able to work it without any instruction ( he's still not talking properly yet)
    iPads charge up a lot faster than cheaper ones and battery lasts longer - so it can avoid stressful situations where your child has to wait to use it.
    My autistic nephew had a Lenovo £100 one and it was slow compared to iPad . He used to get stressed.
    Also I use it for hotspot with my phone and download cartoons from BBC iplayer to use without internet. Obviously you can do this with any tablet.
    We only have 32gb which is enough for use so 64 will prob be enough for you.
    Hope this helps

I haven't looked at your choices closely, but you may want to consider a Microsoft Surface tablet - these are very strong (magnesium chassis) and basically work like a standard PC but also have a tablet interface. That could be the best of both worlds for you. They have an integrated kickstand and generally get excellent reviews. The current version (4) starts around £800 I think but the previous version is around half that price.

Worth considering.

microsoftstore.com/sto…=AL!4249!10!10746665667!84040845909&WT.mc_id=pointitsem+Microsoft+Bing+Ads+?s_kwcid=AL!{ef_userid}!{ef_sid}!10746665667!84040845909&ef_id=WAs5JQAABJLBXrVa:20161022133536:s

techradar.com/rev…iew

For easy of use and I would stick to an Ipad

I have an Acer one for my son and it's so slow and the Android system is not easy for him to use yet he can use my Iphone no problem.

I would get a cover and armour glass type screen protector as kids do drop them a lot and the repairs would be expensive.

Is it no longer pc to say special needs?

Original Poster

TheDobbus

Is it no longer pc to say special needs?

No I prefer to use additional needs around my daughter as I have always told her that her autism means she needs a little more help than others, therefore I am accustomed to using the term additional needs rather than disabled or special, call it what you like as I will also.

My 4 year old had a galaxy and a kurio both were ok but got her an iPad for her 3rd birthday and never looked back definitely worth the extra money

Has to be the ipad pro amazing machine

We've been looking for one for our daughter, while she doesn't have any special needs as you say, my missus found the amazon child's one has a huge list of games and apps for a small fee, where as the vtech one we found the games and apps each were £5-£20 each! Well be getting the amazon one for Christmas, sorry can't remember the name of it

Any reason you havent listed the Amazon fire kids?

joedastudd

Any reason you havent listed the Amazon fire kids?

​That's the one I was saying above

Original Poster

I appreciate the suggestions guys, the reason I have listed a select few above is this is the ones that I need to choose from as it is partly being funded by The family fund, so I don't have may to choose from, so far I am swinging towards the IPAD over the samsung going by suggestions here, I have tried googling them for comparison but the samsung protab is being called a slate? any ideas why ? is it simply because it is a 2 in 1.

A slate is a tablet. A tablet is a slate.

I'd have to say go for the iPad, they're much easier to use and have a lot of great apps. 128GB is definitely overkill if you're not going to be storing videos/music on the device, a 32GB or a 64GB will be sufficient, plus it'll be cheaper

As for the size of the iPad, i'd suggest the Mini, its more portable and it won't be an issue carrying it out and about
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1012
      2. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?917
      3. love affairs912
      4. word association Game73844475

See more discussions