Which tablet is the best from this list?

Posted 27th Oct
Hi,

Looking at the following tablets to buy just for internet browsing and YouTube.

Which would be best? It won't be used for anything else.

Also, is it worth waiting for black Friday in case there's a sale on any of these?

argos.co.uk/pro…673
argos.co.uk/pro…988
argos.co.uk/pro…950
argos.co.uk/pro…237
argos.co.uk/pro…052
argos.co.uk/pro…144
argos.co.uk/pro…252

Look forward to any replies.

Cheers.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

35 Comments
Might as well wait until Black Friday, it's in under a month's time. Generally, I'd recommend Fire tablet just for internet browsing/YouTube. Sideloading Play Store takes 10 minutes. Fire tablets are the best value budget tablets out there, especially on Black Friday/Prime Day where they get their deepest discounts.
Huawei Mediapad T5 10
If not in the list you should buy an iPad.
iPad all day long.

new or used.

mine works almost the same as three years ago

ipad mini 4
brilliant
You have picked all the council ones.

used I pad mini is better.
you will get a 4 for your money
I bought the wife a Huawei mediapad T5. It's really great quality in both build and spec. Doesn't feel like a toy like so many others do . I'm actually quiet jealous and would buy one myself, but until my one breaks I can't justify buying another one.
jamie1527/10/2019 01:06

Might as well wait until Black Friday, it's in under a month's time. …Might as well wait until Black Friday, it's in under a month's time. Generally, I'd recommend Fire tablet just for internet browsing/YouTube. Sideloading Play Store takes 10 minutes. Fire tablets are the best value budget tablets out there, especially on Black Friday/Prime Day where they get their deepest discounts.

I would have purchased a fire tablet but I have no idea how to root/sideload Google play store etc and wouldn't want to risk damaging a new tablet. Think I might just wait and see what offers are available then.
Craig201827/10/2019 06:08

If not in the list you should buy an iPad.

iPads would be too expensive especially for just internet browsing/YouTube. I know iPads are great, though.
Ringfinger27/10/2019 06:57

I bought the wife a Huawei mediapad T5. It's really great quality in both …I bought the wife a Huawei mediapad T5. It's really great quality in both build and spec. Doesn't feel like a toy like so many others do . I'm actually quiet jealous and would buy one myself, but until my one breaks I can't justify buying another one.

Currently leaning towards this or the Samsung Tab A 8/10.
ELVIS_THE_PELVIS27/10/2019 06:53

iPad all day long.new or used.mine works almost the same as three years …iPad all day long.new or used.mine works almost the same as three years agoipad mini 4 brilliant

Lol
Recertified Amazon Fire HD 10 is £79.99 at the moment if that interests you.

hotukdeals.com/dea…117
rejcomp27/10/2019 08:08

Recertified Amazon Fire HD 10 is £79.99 at the moment if that interests …Recertified Amazon Fire HD 10 is £79.99 at the moment if that interests you.https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/fire-hd10-7th-gen-refurbished-3315117

Great deal
billmax76427/10/2019 07:31

I would have purchased a fire tablet but I have no idea how to …I would have purchased a fire tablet but I have no idea how to root/sideload Google play store etc and wouldn't want to risk damaging a new tablet. Think I might just wait and see what offers are available then.

Absolutely no need to put the play store on to watch you tube and browse the net. There is a you tube app and obviously a browser.
I have had 3 fire tablets (7th edition ones) and all three have encountered a black screen they will not turn on or charge all went back to amazon to investigate. On researching lots of people have had same problem
I am still using a Galaxy Note 2014
ibblackberry127/10/2019 08:18

Absolutely no need to put the play store on to watch you tube and browse …Absolutely no need to put the play store on to watch you tube and browse the net. There is a you tube app and obviously a browser.

Right, thank you. What does everyone mean by ads that appear on the fire tablets? Is it easy to remove if I contact Amazon via live chat (never knew they had a live chat function)?
princesskizzy27/10/2019 08:32

I have had 3 fire tablets (7th edition ones) and all three have …I have had 3 fire tablets (7th edition ones) and all three have encountered a black screen they will not turn on or charge all went back to amazon to investigate. On researching lots of people have had same problem

That's concerning. What did Amazon say when they got back to you?
rejcomp27/10/2019 08:08

Recertified Amazon Fire HD 10 is £79.99 at the moment if that interests …Recertified Amazon Fire HD 10 is £79.99 at the moment if that interests you.https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/fire-hd10-7th-gen-refurbished-3315117

Yes, I saw this deal and was thinking of purchasing. What does everyone else think? Someone on that thread said, if I remember correctly, a new Fire tablet range will be announced at the end of the month or was it end of November time?
I was on the phone ages on each occasion Amazon asking me to plug them in wait press buttons etc. The said there is a fault and we will send a box out for you to send it back. Done this on all 3 got refund on all of them. It has put me off buying again.
billmax76427/10/2019 09:02

Right, thank you. What does everyone mean by ads that appear on the fire …Right, thank you. What does everyone mean by ads that appear on the fire tablets? Is it easy to remove if I contact Amazon via live chat (never knew they had a live chat function)? That's concerning. What did Amazon say when they got back to you?Yes, I saw this deal and was thinking of purchasing. What does everyone else think? Someone on that thread said, if I remember correctly, a new Fire tablet range will be announced at the end of the month or was it end of November time?

The ads are just a picture on the lock screen, usually a book or Amazon product, I have an add on my hd7 and hd8 but none on my ereaders. Can't say they bother me in the slightest, it's the lock screen so you are not doing anything then the screen is black after a few seconds of activity.

You can pay a tenner and have them removed.

I have got 4 kindles, two readers and two fires, never had any issues. Everything bar the hd7 would get my recommendation, especially as your only requirement is YouTube and a browser.

Wait till black Friday and check out the prices.
princesskizzy27/10/2019 09:06

I was on the phone ages on each occasion Amazon asking me to plug them in …I was on the phone ages on each occasion Amazon asking me to plug them in wait press buttons etc. The said there is a fault and we will send a box out for you to send it back. Done this on all 3 got refund on all of them. It has put me off buying again.

I understand. That's frustrating but at least you got a refund on all 3 tablets.
argos.co.uk/pro…744?rec=PDP[8843252]:bottomSlider:P2:OHAT:alternative:8375744:Cuk8hm6guR3YCTpSUp28
Been using this the past 6 months and it's been great . Pretty fast tablet
yozzman123427/10/2019 15:55

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8375744?rec=PDP[8843252]:bottomSlider:P2:OHAT:alternative:8375744:Cuk8hm6guR3YCTpSUp28Been using this the past 6 months and it's been great . Pretty fast tablet

Wouldn't you think that price of £250 is a tad overkill for YouTube and browsing only, that said it'd be decent,
ibblackberry127/10/2019 16:48

Wouldn't you think that price of £250 is a tad overkill for YouTube and …Wouldn't you think that price of £250 is a tad overkill for YouTube and browsing only, that said it'd be decent,

Yer maybe
But gives you a great screen for watching Netflix and YouTube and 3GB of ram .
It's a pretty fast and smooth tablet in my experience of YouTube, Netflix and internet use .
My mum and dad have cheaper £100-£150 tablets as that's all they wanted to spend and they feel laggy and not very fast loading things , them tablets are both this the list above.
yozzman123427/10/2019 16:53

Yer maybe But gives you a great screen for watching Netflix and YouTube …Yer maybe But gives you a great screen for watching Netflix and YouTube and 3GB of ram . It's a pretty fast and smooth tablet in my experience of YouTube, Netflix and internet use .My mum and dad have cheaper £100-£150 tablets as that's all they wanted to spend and they feel laggy and not very fast loading things , them tablets are both this the list above.

Yeah good points, but I'd probably just go for an HD10 for half the price ish and upgrade in two or three years with the change. If the usage wasn't so restricted by the OP I'd be inclined to go down your route.
Edited by: "ibblackberry1" 27th Oct
yozzman123427/10/2019 16:53

Yer maybe But gives you a great screen for watching Netflix and YouTube …Yer maybe But gives you a great screen for watching Netflix and YouTube and 3GB of ram . It's a pretty fast and smooth tablet in my experience of YouTube, Netflix and internet use .My mum and dad have cheaper £100-£150 tablets as that's all they wanted to spend and they feel laggy and not very fast loading things , them tablets are both this the list above.

I will be getting the tablet for my parents. I gave them an Acer tablet a while ago but it's not that great (was a cheap budget option). Think it'd be good to buy them a newer and better tablet especially since they do like watching videos on YouTube (more so than internet browsing). The Huawei tablet I linked above for £149 has 3GB RAM as well - would that be a good choice if looking for a 3GB tablet as opposed to this £249 Samsung one that you mention?
billmax76427/10/2019 07:31

I would have purchased a fire tablet but I have no idea how to …I would have purchased a fire tablet but I have no idea how to root/sideload Google play store etc and wouldn't want to risk damaging a new tablet. Think I might just wait and see what offers are available then.

There is no need to even download Play Store, but the option is there if you choose. YouTube website will still work perfectly and you can just download the YouTube app from APKmirror.

If you want to get Play Store, no rooting is required (not even sure if you can root Fire tablets). Sideloading is simply downloading a series of apk files (basically apps). As Fire OS is based on Android it will work. Tablet will not be damaged at all.

This is a step by step guide. It is as simple as enabling external downloads in settings and then downloading all the files from the links.

laptopmag.com/articles/get-google-play-on-fire-tablet

I have done this myself with no problems for multiple people.
Edited by: "jamie15" 27th Oct
jamie1527/10/2019 22:53

There is no need to even download Play Store, but the option is there if …There is no need to even download Play Store, but the option is there if you choose. YouTube website will still work perfectly and you can just download the YouTube app from APKmirror.If you want to get Play Store, no rooting is required (not even sure if you can root Fire tablets). Sideloading is simply downloading a series of apk files (basically apps). As Fire OS is based on Android it will work. Tablet will not be damaged at all.This is a step by step guide. It is as simple as enabling external downloads in settings and then downloading all the files from the links. laptopmag.com/articles/get-google-play-on-fire-tabletI have done this myself with no problems for multiple people.

Okay, that's good to hear should I purchase the fire tablet. Thank you.
billmax76427/10/2019 23:05

Okay, that's good to hear should I purchase the fire tablet. Thank you.

I would strongly recommend waiting for Black Friday as Fire tablets get massively discounted then. If you can't wait, I'd still recommend the Fire tablet
jamie1527/10/2019 23:16

I would strongly recommend waiting for Black Friday as Fire tablets get …I would strongly recommend waiting for Black Friday as Fire tablets get massively discounted then. If you can't wait, I'd still recommend the Fire tablet

Yes, I think I'll just wait until Black Friday to see what deals are available and then decide which tablet to get.
billmax76428/10/2019 00:05

Yes, I think I'll just wait until Black Friday to see what deals are …Yes, I think I'll just wait until Black Friday to see what deals are available and then decide which tablet to get.

Fire HD 8 went to £49.99 last Black Friday, will probably cost the same again this year. 8" is smallest size I'd choose for a tablet. Any smaller and you might as well get a phone.
Edited by: "jamie15" 28th Oct
Think I've narrowed it down to either Huawei T5 10" 3GB/32GB, Samsung Tab A 10" 2019 or Fire HD 10" (18 or 19 versions). Although, if Fire HD 8 becomes £49.99, is it worth just getting that over the others and save the money? Literally, it'll be used only for YouTube and a little bit of internet browsing.
billmax76403/11/2019 11:19

Think I've narrowed it down to either Huawei T5 10" 3GB/32GB, Samsung Tab …Think I've narrowed it down to either Huawei T5 10" 3GB/32GB, Samsung Tab A 10" 2019 or Fire HD 10" (18 or 19 versions). Although, if Fire HD 8 becomes £49.99, is it worth just getting that over the others and save the money? Literally, it'll be used only for YouTube and a little bit of internet browsing.

Three do the Huawei, so maybe a trip to the shop for a bit of hands on....
Just checked... Three do both the Samsung and Huawei. Try before you buy.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 3rd Nov
Ringfinger03/11/2019 12:41

Three do the Huawei, so maybe a trip to the shop for a bit of hands on.... …Three do the Huawei, so maybe a trip to the shop for a bit of hands on.... Just checked... Three do both the Samsung and Huawei. Try before you buy.

I've tried Huawei's 7 & 8" tablets (T3 range) and have tried the Samsung Tab as well. Is the T3 range similar or quite different to the T5 (size is the main difference but in terms of performance)?
Comparing T5 to aT3 is like comparing a maserati to a mini. The T5 is really fast and stable., and it feels well made. Some tablets feel 'flexible' and plasticky - the Huawei feels solid. You can feel the quality of the build when you pick it up.
To be fair I haven't tried the Samsung to compare.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 3rd Nov
Look Here. For direct comparison, though bear in mind model variations. Most obvious is the screen resolution, with twice as many pixels on the T5.
Ringfinger03/11/2019 13:40

Comparing T5 to aT3 is like comparing a maserati to a mini. The T5 is …Comparing T5 to aT3 is like comparing a maserati to a mini. The T5 is really fast and stable., and it feels well made. Some tablets feel 'flexible' and plasticky - the Huawei feels solid. You can feel the quality of the build when you pick it up. To be fair I haven't tried the Samsung to compare.

Yes, I think I'll definitely be getting the T5, Samsung Tab or the Fire 8/10. All depends on deals that are available in the next few weeks including black Friday.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants