Groups
    EXPIRED

Which to get? CD/DVD Reader & Writer - must be portable for around £25

Got a netbook running on Windows7 (starter) and a PC on XP. Would like a reader/ writer which comes with a installation disk.

Have seen loads in the last couple of days on Play and Amazon (prefer the latter retailer) but I'm not sure which is the best to get?

Just want it to watch dvd's on and copy docs/pics off of my laptop as back up. Would like for it to burn to dvd and cd. Prefer it to accept the -/+ (or whatever) all of those type of discs to burn onto..

Please enlighten me as to which is the best to go for. Not fussed abt brand names; any'll do as long as it does the job.

4 Comments

TBH all portable DVD rewiters write CDs as well. You dont need an installtion disc to use them (Unless you mean you want software with it? and all wwrite to + & - these days. I got mine from ebay for £22 and they had a choice of colours so if you have a blue or white or pink laptop you can get a matching rewriter.

Just found the bloke i got mine from and it works great Item number: 230632380931 on the bay, but if you want a certain colour make sure you put the colour ixn the paypal message when you pay as you will get a black one if you dont put the colour in when you pay with paypal

just found a purple one here too Item number: 230628464994 not bad for £18, hope they help
    Edited by: "Chuckles1001" 13th Jun 2011

dcx_badass

Why would you want an installation disk for a disk drive? 2 problems, … Why would you want an installation disk for a disk drive? 2 problems, number 1 they've not been needed since about windows 95, number 2 to read the installation disk you'd need a disk drive, but you couldn't install your disk drive because you couldn't read the disk. PARADOX.Also seriously who still uses disks now? I don't even have a disk drive in my desktop, it's not the 90's still.

If you have to be rude, it is worth using correct terminology. A DVD drive is still a disc drive and as for the use of the word paradox - it is not correct.

DCX, who wrote such a stupid sentence cannot write at all. Now, that is a paradox.

Original Poster

Ta Chuckles for your very helpful insight and suggestion- though I'd prefer to buy form a credible retailer- read too many unhappy stories re. ebay- just wanna gerrit from somewhere a bit more 'secure' who I know will be around should sommat go wrong with the drive in 9mths time etc. Very good find nonetheless.

dcx_badass

Also seriously who still uses disks now? I don't even have a disk drive … Also seriously who still uses disks now? I don't even have a disk drive in my desktop, it's not the 90's still.

DaveTaylor hit the nail on the head- ta DT. I did mean a 'dvd drive' - not the floppy disc wotsits..

DCX, after your little rant, I thought the least you could do was suggest a good reader/ writer for me from Amazon/ Play. Thought you were the fella in the know when it came to all things pc related?!

dcx_badass

It's a disk drive, they're all the same (for 95% of tasks), only a … It's a disk drive, they're all the same (for 95% of tasks), only a handful of companies make them, just buy the cheapest from a big brand.What Dave said doesn't even make sense. Where did I ever say a dvd drive is not a disc drive. WTF. Talk about reading stuff that's not even there.

My apologies, I should have not have been surprised you cannot see sense based on your nonsensical use of paradox. Just to help you out to make some sense, here are a couple of your own quotes:

Also seriously who still uses disks now? I don't even have a disk drive … Also seriously who still uses disks now? I don't even have a disk drive in my desktop, it's not the 90's still

It's a disk drive, they're all the same (for 95% of tasks), only a … It's a disk drive, they're all the same (for 95% of tasks), only a handful of companies make them, just buy the cheapest from a big brand

So you did not say a DVD drive is not a disc drive but the corollary of the above suggests it.

So once again, before you are rude to others, be careful that your own contradictions doesn't make you appear even less of a person than the one you originally tried to belittle.

Edited by: "DaveTaylor" 16th Jun 2011
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Shana Tova to all Jewish HUKDers45
      2. love affairs23
      3. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie43
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767197

See more discussions