Groups
    EXPIRED

Which Touch Screen Mobile To Buy?

I am after a new mobile with a decent touch screen, wifi and a smooth os and that will fit snugly in my pocket. I have been considering the following.

Nokia 5800
    Toshiba TG01
    Samsung JET
    LG GT 500/505

I've had a play with a 5800 and was quite happy with it's functionality, I just thought it was a touch big (in particular it's depth).

The Toshiba looks to be on the large side too (Height and Width), however it's supposed to be thin and light. Seems to have a great spec, though it is currently running windows mobile 6.1 (which gets bad press), although I believe you will have an option to upgrade to 6.5 (no idea if this is a good thing).

The Samsung JET seems to be a good mix of decent spec and pocketable size, all the reviews I have read have been good too.

Lastly are the LG's which I believe are essentially the same phones, with just cosmetic changes for their respective networks. The specs on these don't seem to be as good as the Samsung or Toshiba, not sure how they compare to the Nokia.

What do people think? Has anybody had a play around with any of these, has anybody got any more positives or negatives to consider for each phone? Or any suggestions for alternatives i've missed. Thanks

15 Comments

I have the 5800 and love it.

nowt wrong with windows 6.1

i have htc touch diamond - tiny phone compared to others on the market, yet really good quality 2.8" screen

loads of apps available, does bbc iplayer etc etc etc

Have a look at cnet, always useful,

reviews.cnet.co.uk/mob…htm, iphone comes out on top but the price is one thing to put you off

Original Poster

Thanks for your replies everyone, keep them coming.

I liked the Nokia 5800 it just felt a bit too bulky in my pocket compared to my old phone.

Thanks for the suggestion v2drinkers but i'm pretty sure the N97 is much too big and heavy for my needs.

Original Poster

clondikemike;5785082

Have a look at cnet, always useful, … Have a look at cnet, always useful, http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/0,39030107,49296897,00.htm, iphone comes out on top but the price is one thing to put you off

Yes the iphone is a bit too rich for my meagre budget.

iphone is the best touch screen.

5800 all day long. Easy to use, 8gb comes with it. Well happy with mine:thumbsup:

I was a bit sceptical about the 5800, my bro had one and loved it. After a good play around with it I was hooked as well and bought one.

Very nice phone and does everything I want. Great MP3 player(so long as you use decent headphones, Sennheiser CX500 sounds superb), Good internets with Opera Mini and once you get used to typing properly with the the mini keyboard and pen emails and texts are a breeze. Never had any probs with calls either.

Well worth considering

I've heard/read that 5800 is considered as a very close attempt as "the iPhone killer"

Just open up other possibilities..though:

Have a look at T-Mobile V compact which essentially is HTC Diamond 2. I've also been looking into HTC Touch Pro 2 for the QWERTY/Touchscreen combination but the weight and price put me off.

Interestingly, Digitgeek listed Samsung Omnia as no.1 iPhone killer digitgeek.com/top…rs/, and I quote (mind you thet the newest Omnia is the i890 HD):

The creators of the Omnia i900 at Samsung definitely had the iPhone 3G as … The creators of the Omnia i900 at Samsung definitely had the iPhone 3G as a target in mind when they made the Omnia i900. Whatever features the iPhone lacks in, the Omnia makes up for it in the best possible way. It is powered by Windows Mobile 6.1 and sports an iPhone esque Multi Touch interface - Touch Wiz. Though it is not as refined as the iPhone Multi Touch UI, it does come very close. It sports a superb 5MP cam and has everything that the iPhone does not - Flash, Video recording ( VGA at 15 FPS & QVGA at 30 FPS ), FM with RDS, A2DP. The audio quality is close in line with the iPhone 3G. Being a Windows Mobile phone, it offers a greater variety of softwares and games. It offers up to 8 GB expandable memory compared to iPhone 3G’s 8 / 16 GB.

I am in the same position as you with my contract coming to an end soon - Ive been looking at a Chinese phone called the Meizu M8 which looks the dogs knackers - they are averaging about £250.00 but unlocked to all networks

The LG is just stupidly big. I was playing with one in the Orange store last weekend...
    Yes the screen big, but where/how are you going to carry it round !

Original Poster

steve1221;5785686

The LG is just stupidly big. I was playing with one in the Orange … The LG is just stupidly big. I was playing with one in the Orange store last weekend...Yes the screen big, but where/how are you going to carry it round !

Did you mean the Tosh with it's 4.1" screen? Don't the LG's have 3" screen?

Original Poster

nuabdi;5785284

I've heard/read that 5800 is considered as a very close attempt as "the … I've heard/read that 5800 is considered as a very close attempt as "the iPhone killer" Just open up other possibilities..though: Have a look at T-Mobile V compact which essentially is HTC Diamond 2. I've also been looking into HTC Touch Pro 2 for the QWERTY/Touchscreen combination but the weight and price put me off.Interestingly, Digitgeek listed Samsung Omnia as no.1 iPhone killer http://www.digitgeek.com/top-5-iphone-3g-killers/, and I quote (mind you thet the newest Omnia is the i890 HD):

I don't think the Omnia is wifi is it? Will have a look at the V compact, thanks!

Original Poster

Eduardos;5785669

I am in the same position as you with my contract coming to an end soon - … I am in the same position as you with my contract coming to an end soon - Ive been looking at a Chinese phone called the Meizu M8 which looks the dogs knackers - they are averaging about £250.00 but unlocked to all networks

Never heard of them, will have a look but would need some convincing.

the samsung omnia does have wifi and the Meizu M8 is okay but doesnt support £g so its not worth £250.00

Id go for the Sony ericsson X1 its excellent! ive got it!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. RIP DOCTOR WHO45
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846223
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?32161
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17416145

See more discussions