Which Travel Insurance covers for cancellation due to coronavirus/pandemics?

Posted 12th Mar
Going on a few holidays this year and my annual travel insurance is up for renewal.

Normally I just go for basic covering any injury etc. but with the current global issue I was wondering which Travel Insurance providers cover against flight cancellations in case of epidemics/pandemics like the coronavirus?

Thanks guys and gals!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

30 Comments
Think you'll have problems finding one that covers, good luck.
Maybe not go on a few holidays during a pandemic
This may be helpful, it's what my insurer sent me:
freespirittravelinsurance.com/blo…ce/

This type of event is usually not covered across the travel insurance industry for cancellation. This is because most policies have specific reasons for cancellation and the “fear of an epidemic, pandemic, infection or allergic reaction” is not one of those reasons.

We would advise travelers who have booked package holidays to a destination affected by the viral outbreak and looking to cancel their trip or amend their travel plans to contact their travel agent or tour operator in the first instance.

If you are not able to amend your trip and have a medical justification for having to cancel, we would be happy to discuss your situation on a case-by-case basis.
I would like to no this too, so if my flight got cancelled cause lockdown do I need cover or do I get refund
Norseg12/03/2020 09:29

Err maybe they booked them a long time ago, as is inferred by the original post
It tends to be that your only covered if the Foreign Office advise against travel
Norseg12/03/2020 09:29

Because the moment I heard about a pandemic was when I booked the holidays

If you're not being constructive to a discussion maybe don't post, thanks.
SixFeet12/03/2020 09:34

Because the moment I heard about a pandemic was when I booked the holidays …Because the moment I heard about a pandemic was when I booked the holidays If you're not being constructive to a discussion maybe don't post, thanks.

I don't think you'll find better advice anywhere on here today.
Pandamansays12/03/2020 09:46

I don't think you'll find better advice anywhere on here today.

Thanks for the travel insurance advice, it's truly superb!

I booked them months before the coronavirus existed and your advice is just don't go on them and don't try and get travel insurance to recoup the money spent on them.

I think I can find better advice anywhere than what you have both offered.

Please don't comment on discussions if you're not contributing. Thanks.
Pricklerickle12/03/2020 09:29

I would like to no this too, so if my flight got cancelled cause lockdown …I would like to no this too, so if my flight got cancelled cause lockdown do I need cover or do I get refund

Also then would we get hotel costs refunded? As is usual with insurance its all as clear as mud.
Martin Lewis recently put on his website that you need to find a policy that has travel disruption cover and he only found that AA (silver) covers for both if your flight or hotel are cancelled, apparently the others only do one or the other. changed my policy to that one, is £29 for european trip. If it helps i dont know!?
Edited by: "grifo" 12th Mar
grifo12/03/2020 10:22

Martin Lewis recently put on his website that you need to find a policy …Martin Lewis recently put on his website that you need to find a policy that has travel disruption cover and he only found that AA (silver) covers for both if your flight or hotel are cancelled, apparently the others only do one or the other. changed my policy to that one, is £29 for european trip. If it helps i dont know!?

I usually go for the four stars on compare website is that silver, I booked hotel and flight with Flybe, tho flight is blue Island, so even though my flight still going ,the tickets are worthless and to rebook them is to pay double, so I am hoping there short that out ,and there virus going around so might all get cancel etc, booked it way before any of this,lol first holiday where I thought I book way in advance :/
I read companies are no longer offering wedding insurance due to the pandemic

google.co.uk/amp…mp/
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 12th Mar
@myusernamehasgone234

Thanks for the sympathy. As mentioned I do still have a current travel insurance policy so have got travel insurance but this will only cover injury and not cancellations from "Travel disruption". I could easily get a renewal for basic travel against injury again.

The worry is I will lose a lot of money sunk into holidays which will be cancelled by the flight provider or become a quarantined area etc. I am looking for my renewal to cover against this as well as injury.
Nationwide Travel insurance with the Flex plus account covers "natural Disasters" and pandemic is classed as a natural disaster.

If i get stuck abroad, they will pay for accommodation and any changes to flights - but they wont cover any food costs.
Travel disruption cover is what you want, or so I thought. My son has just booked with Sainsbury's which includes this, so we thought he was covered. Amazing how we missed this bit "The insurance provides cover for costs not forming part of a package holiday and is aimed at travellers who book flights and accommodation separately."
I've just rung them and the woman confirmed that his first port of call for package holidays is the tour operator. If they didn't get any joy there he could try to claim on the insurance, but there is no guarantee they would pay out. Any independent trips he booked would be covered. Of course this is dependent on the FCO putting out a don't travel warning.
The long and short of it is, for package holidays you are relying on your tour operator to play fair, otherwise you will be in for a tussle with your insurer.
Don't forget to declare that time you stubbed your toe, 20 years ago, when you take out cover.
bogglebrain12/03/2020 12:30

Travel disruption cover is what you want, or so I thought. My son has just …Travel disruption cover is what you want, or so I thought. My son has just booked with Sainsbury's which includes this, so we thought he was covered. Amazing how we missed this bit "The insurance provides cover for costs not forming part of a package holiday and is aimed at travellers who book flights and accommodation separately."I've just rung them and the woman confirmed that his first port of call for package holidays is the tour operator. If they didn't get any joy there he could try to claim on the insurance, but there is no guarantee they would pay out. Any independent trips he booked would be covered. Of course this is dependent on the FCO putting out a don't travel warning.The long and short of it is, for package holidays you are relying on your tour operator to play fair, otherwise you will be in for a tussle with your insurer.Don't forget to declare that time you stubbed your toe, 20 years ago, when you take out cover.

I booked everything separately so this is good info for me, thank you.
paul100512/03/2020 11:10

Nationwide Travel insurance with the Flex plus account covers "natural …Nationwide Travel insurance with the Flex plus account covers "natural Disasters" and pandemic is classed as a natural disaster.If i get stuck abroad, they will pay for accommodation and any changes to flights - but they wont cover any food costs.

Cheers pal, will look into that
grifo12/03/2020 10:22

Martin Lewis recently put on his website that you need to find a policy …Martin Lewis recently put on his website that you need to find a policy that has travel disruption cover and he only found that AA (silver) covers for both if your flight or hotel are cancelled, apparently the others only do one or the other. changed my policy to that one, is £29 for european trip. If it helps i dont know!?

Sounds good, will look. Thanks!
SixFeet12/03/2020 09:34

Because the moment I heard about a pandemic was when I booked the holidays …Because the moment I heard about a pandemic was when I booked the holidays If you're not being constructive to a discussion maybe don't post, thanks.

HottyHotty12/03/2020 09:30

Err maybe they booked them a long time ago, as is inferred by the original …Err maybe they booked them a long time ago, as is inferred by the original post

That's hard, I know, when you work all year and look forward to a break, but the risks are real. Having insurance won't stop you getting sick or infecting others. Perhaps the issue is still going on holiday during a pandemic mainly because you will lose money. Which is more important, risking your own and other's health/life or accept losing a holiday, and the cash it cost? Good luck with your insurance but some bullets have to be bitten.
SixFeet12/03/2020 11:00

@myusernamehasgone234Thanks for the sympathy. As mentioned I do still have …@myusernamehasgone234Thanks for the sympathy. As mentioned I do still have a current travel insurance policy so have got travel insurance but this will only cover injury and not cancellations from "Travel disruption". I could easily get a renewal for basic travel against injury again. The worry is I will lose a lot of money sunk into holidays which will be cancelled by the flight provider or become a quarantined area etc. I am looking for my renewal to cover against this as well as injury.

It's a nightmare situation and going to effect a lot of people.

I hope you will be able to get a renewal that covers you adequately.

Even with insurance you can still end up significantly out of pocket with excesses and causes that aren't covered.
aninginaneana12/03/2020 16:00

That's hard, I know, when you work all year and look forward to a break, …That's hard, I know, when you work all year and look forward to a break, but the risks are real. Having insurance won't stop you getting sick or infecting others. Perhaps the issue is still going on holiday during a pandemic mainly because you will lose money. Which is more important, risking your own and other's health/life or accept losing a holiday, and the cash it cost? Good luck with your insurance but some bullets have to be bitten.

Yes I know. Thus why I'm asking for advice on insurance policies that will cover this possiblity.
I've just been looking at this as due to fly out in 3 weeks time.

For the majority of policies it is important to realise the difference between cancelling a trip "For the fear of an xyz" or if the FCO state not to travel to a particular destination.

Being afraid to go will not be covered, going against the advise of the FCO will not be covered. Cancelling because your destination is on a list will be covered.
Verbal.Kint12/03/2020 16:15

I've just been looking at this as due to fly out in 3 weeks time.For the …I've just been looking at this as due to fly out in 3 weeks time.For the majority of policies it is important to realise the difference between cancelling a trip "For the fear of an xyz" or if the FCO state not to travel to a particular destination.Being afraid to go will not be covered, going against the advise of the FCO will not be covered. Cancelling because your destination is on a list will be covered.

From money saving expert I believe AA silver covers both hotel and flights cancellation if this occurs. Going to ring them later to confirm this is the case.
Verbal.Kint12/03/2020 16:15

Cancelling because your destination is on a list will be covered.

I don't think this is the case with package holidays. The travel insurance company will bounce you back to the tour operator first, assuming they haven't gone bust. Only if you get no joy with them will they consider your case.

40095148-rykdi.jpgI think my son's annual European travel cover came out at approx. £45 after the nectar card discount. This has travel disruption cover and zero excess on any claim. He might get some Quidco if it pays out. He had a couple of medical things to disclose, so it would be cheaper for a sane and healthy person.
I wonder if they've updated their medical screening questions to include ' Have you had coronavirus?'
SixFeet12/03/2020 16:17

From money saving expert I believe AA silver covers both hotel and flights …From money saving expert I believe AA silver covers both hotel and flights cancellation if this occurs. Going to ring them later to confirm this is the case.

In a similar predicament as yourself - did you manage to find yourself the right insurance? I also have 2 trips booked later in the year, I am hoping the situaton would improve by then but would like to be covered in case FCO advises against travelling. Any help much appreciaed.
I took out AA silver. If flights or hotel are cancelled due to the coronavirus they will refund the cost of both.

Not sure if that also happens if its FCO advised or just cancelled though
SixFeet13/03/2020 14:00

I took out AA silver. If flights or hotel are cancelled due to the …I took out AA silver. If flights or hotel are cancelled due to the coronavirus they will refund the cost of both.Not sure if that also happens if its FCO advised or just cancelled though

Damn - looks like AA are off the list too

Any new policy purchased, or new trip booked covered by an existing annual multi trip policy after 3pm, 13th March 2020, will not cover any cancellation claim in relation to Coronavirus, including but not limited to, cancellation due to your diagnosis of Coronavirus, FCO advice or flights being cancelled.
matwalaboy13/03/2020 15:51

Damn - looks like AA are off the list too Any new policy purchased, or …Damn - looks like AA are off the list too Any new policy purchased, or new trip booked covered by an existing annual multi trip policy after 3pm, 13th March 2020, will not cover any cancellation claim in relation to Coronavirus, including but not limited to, cancellation due to your diagnosis of Coronavirus, FCO advice or flights being cancelled.

Got mine sorted yesterday so I'm just in time I guess.
SixFeet13/03/2020 15:57

Got mine sorted yesterday so I'm just in time I guess.

Check small print!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants