Found 3rd Jun
looking to buy a new 4k hdr etc tv. the last t.v. I got was 4 years and was an LG 3d one but I've not read.good things about the newer lgs. price range between 500 to 800. Thanks

1. Ask
  2. TV
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. TV
10 Comments

Go with Samsung or Sony, vastly superior. There have been good deals on here for your price range too.

Skyhiigh

Go with Samsung or Sony, vastly superior. There have been good deals on … Go with Samsung or Sony, vastly superior. There have been good deals on here for your price range too.

​you've gotta be kidding, the new Samsung's are dreadful without going to oled, and the android software on the Sony is buggy as hell.

the latest webOS on LG is the best TV software there is in my opinion and the picture is spot on.

OP depends on what size you want but we have this 55" which is under £800, they do a 49" version cheaper.

currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

also if you still want 3D the one I linked to is but the majority of manufactures have ditched 3D, real shame as I like it.

LG are focused on OLED right now since their panel arm bought the technology to market (and manufactures the panel in every OLED TV). It's not too surprising if their LCDs aren't cutting edge.

Actual HDR (not just compatibility) is expensive right now, so you're looking at an entry level model in that price range. Last year's Samsung KS series is a good bet, or this year's Sony XE90 if you can stretch the budget a bit (£880 at Argos).

Its best the get last years model for best deal. 2017 model just not worth the full price right now with minor upgrade and in Samsung case, QLED is worst in every way except wider colour gamut yet much more expensive. If you can still find them then the KS7000-8000 series is great and the Sony XD9305 series. i personally recommend wait till chrismas if you can

LG use WRGB for their TV and is not true 4K. or so i heard, not sure how much different it makes

sion22

LG use WRGB for their TV and is not true 4K. or so i heard, not sure how … LG use WRGB for their TV and is not true 4K. or so i heard, not sure how much different it makes

There are two technologies and people get tangled up between them.

RGBW is adding an extra white subpixel to the normal red, green and blue trio. This is often done to boost brightness/efficiency on displays. This technology is used on LG's OLEDs and UH600 series LCDs. Generally the result of this is diluting the brightest colours because they can only be achieved with the addition of white light.

Although with every new TV claiming brighter colours from HDR backlights we're currently in an era where that varies anyway. It's a good time for LG to be using the technology.

The 'Faux K' issue is that the UH600 series have fewer total subpixels than an OLED and use them to sort of multi-task. In theory it produces slightly less detail, but in practice 4K is so over the top for normal TVs the only issues anyone's actually picked up on is using it as a computer monitor.

EndlessWaves

There are two technologies and people get tangled up between them.RGBW is … There are two technologies and people get tangled up between them.RGBW is adding an extra white subpixel to the normal red, green and blue trio. This is often done to boost brightness/efficiency on displays. This technology is used on LG's OLEDs and UH600 series LCDs. Generally the result of this is diluting the brightest colours because they can only be achieved with the addition of white light.Although with every new TV claiming brighter colours from HDR backlights we're currently in an era where that varies anyway. It's a good time for LG to be using the technology.The 'Faux K' issue is that the UH600 series have fewer total subpixels than an OLED and use them to sort of multi-task. In theory it produces slightly less detail, but in practice 4K is so over the top for normal TVs the only issues anyone's actually picked up on is using it as a computer monitor.

So "Faux K" is only on UH600? wont it be the same on oled as well?

sion22

So "Faux K" is only on UH600?

All of the UH6__ models except the UH630 and UH635 (which I believe are non-LG VA panels).

sion22

wont it be the same on oled as well?

A normal RGB 4K screen has 8.3 million subpixels per colour (red, green and blue) for a total of 25 million.

LG's OLED screens have all of these plus an additional 8.3 million white subpixels for a total of 33 million.

The 'Faux K' screens have the normal 25 million subpixels but it's made up of 6.2 million each of four colours. Red, Green, Blue and White.

As you need Red, Green and Blue pixels to make up all the possible colours the number of units (pixels) that can display the full colour range is only 6.2 million instead of the normal 8.3 million on a standard 4K screen or OLED.

But that isn't the end of the story as extra subpixels can be used to provide detail even if they're the wrong colour because the eye is more sensitive to detail then colour. For example if you're reading this on a Windows computer then all the text on screen will be edged by coloured subpixels helping it to look more rounded and detailed, although you generally won't notice the colour. This text rendering is called Cleartype and you can take a screenshot and zoom in to confirm, the edges will look discoloured instead of black.

If you mean the diluted colours issue then yes, it's an issue with OLED in HDR content. Samsung have taken several pokes it at recently as they promote colour volume as a measurement. When a second company gets large size OLED production off the ground then we may be able to compare, right now any drawbacks are likely partially disguised by the areas where they're strong against LCDs.

Original Poster

I have been looking at this tv for the last 2 days especially as it's dropped in price. my old LG is 3d and I also loved the feature. How is the picture on the tv also the software on my LG has always been good and quick

Which TV? The UH850

If 3D's important to you then it might be worth considering doubling the budget for an LG C6 which are supposed to have very good 3D as we're unlikely to see anything that good in future as it's being dropped from the high end models.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1951380
    2. Show us your Photos 2017. October's Theme - 'Anything'32486
    3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247615
    4. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604803

See more discussions