Found 5th Jan 2010
I want to spend around 800 on a new tv.
I cant choose between:

Panasonic Viera TX-P42G15B Plasma HD 1080p Digital Television, 42 Inch with Built-in freesat
johnlewis.com/230…spx

or

Sony Bravia KDL40W5810 LCD HD 1080p Digital Television, 40 inch with Built-in freesat
johnlewis.com/230…spx

Any recommendations?!!

1. Ask
  2. TV
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. TV
22 Comments

Original Poster

It has to be 40 or 42 inches

Original Poster

i will be connecting it to a bluray player, my xbox360 and a satellite for freesat...

I don't like the Sony LCDs. Most have uneven backlighting. I sold mine for a Pioneer PDPLX5090. In your case, I would take the Panasonic for sure.

Banned

there's only one way to find out...

http://www.awesome-engine.com/graphics/snapshot20080127110618.jpg

I Have The 37 Inch Panasonic Variety. Great Picture! Recommended.

Moved to Deal Requests. Feedback is for HUKD comments, queries and suggestions only. Thanks.

As far as I can see the Sony does not have Freesat HD, only Standard Definition. On that basis the Panasonic would be the better buy, saving you adding another Feesat HD box to the Sony later.

Original Poster

ram200;7438605

As far as I can see the Sony does not have Freesat HD, only Standard … As far as I can see the Sony does not have Freesat HD, only Standard Definition. On that basis the Panasonic would be the better buy, saving you adding another Feesat HD box to the Sony later.

it does have freesat! its one of the best LCDs out at the moment

Original Poster

Heavertron;7438280

I don't like the Sony LCDs. Most have uneven backlighting. I sold mine … I don't like the Sony LCDs. Most have uneven backlighting. I sold mine for a Pioneer PDPLX5090. In your case, I would take the Panasonic for sure.

my friend has the older model w5500.. that looks great itself.. no backlight issues

dmaster2000;7438760

my friend has the older model w5500.. that looks great itself.. no … my friend has the older model w5500.. that looks great itself.. no backlight issues

the backlight issues with SONY are well documented - look at avforum. Personally I prefer Panasonic - and I also prefer Plasma as we watch alot of movies. The Pana also does have a game mode which I find good for PS3 and Wii.

You could get lucky like me and bag a TX-P42G10 for £650 with 5 yr from M&S

I have the TX-P50G10 with sky hd it looks great 10/10 i would go for the panna:thumbsup:

Dmaster2000
Read again - I know it has Freesat, but it Doesn't have Freesat HD

Another vote for the Panny

+1 for the panny

Original Poster

just my luck... went into JL to buy the panny and found the price has gone up by 100!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Panny here... wouldn't bother with any other brand for TV personally

Original Poster

Jonmurgie;7455489

Panny here... wouldn't bother with any other brand for TV personally

hmm... i want the g15 at this price... im going to get john lewis to price match currys or dixons... to get 5 year warranty included

ram200;7440021

Dmaster2000Read again - I know it has Freesat, but it Doesn't have … Dmaster2000Read again - I know it has Freesat, but it Doesn't have Freesat HD

Freesat IS HD, you must bee thinking of Freeview+ HD!

thehitman;7455546

Freesat IS HD, you must bee thinking of Freeview+ HD!

no, freesat comes in SD. Then there's freesat HD.
freesat.co.uk/

Am in a similar boat & am also comparing these tvs.

Am leaning towards the panny - based on reviews more than anything. All the tvs have an awful picture at my local currys, guess they are all sharing 1 feed! So that doesnt help! Am surprised they sell any!

My only worry is the SD pic on the panny, its not supposed to be very good. I use a vigin V+ which is HD capable - would the SD PQ be ok?

Am just worried bout shelling out my hard-earned if the SD pic aint gonna be as good as my 6 yr old Toshiba rear projection crt! :roll:

JasperTheTank;7461420

Am in a similar boat & am also comparing these tvs.Am leaning towards the … Am in a similar boat & am also comparing these tvs.Am leaning towards the panny - based on reviews more than anything. All the tvs have an awful picture at my local currys, guess they are all sharing 1 feed! So that doesnt help! Am surprised they sell any!My only worry is the SD pic on the panny, its not supposed to be very good. I use a vigin V+ which is HD capable - would the SD PQ be ok?Am just worried bout shelling out my hard-earned if the SD pic aint gonna be as good as my 6 yr old Toshiba rear projection crt! :roll:

I have the 42G10 which M&S sold me for £653, picture is very good on SD and exceptional HD, you won;t be disappointed
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769463
    2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247627
    3. Missing the old HUKD for sale area.1010
    4. Cat Chat78760

See more discussions