Which TV is better - SONY KDL48W705C or Samsung UE48J5500A?

Found 29th Dec 2015
Hi
I've been assigned the task of finding a smart TV (48"+ and ability to watch Netflix) as a wedding/housewarming present and I would appreciate all the help and advice I can get

Realistically speaking budget is around £450-£500 and I've decided not to go for a 4K one as the one in budget was a "fake 4k" (LG640v) and I'd rather get a better LED one.

I've been looking at the SONY KDL48W705C, which seems to have a lot of positive reviews .

and the Samsung: argos.co.uk/sta…htm .
(There's this other Samsung one £10 cheaper - but not sure which is the better of the two: argos.co.uk/sta…htm )

They both cost the same - does anyone have any particular experience of them? Or is there any other TV that you would recommend?

Again, many thanks in advance for any help and advice.

EDIT: Sorry can't seem to add the links to the words!
Community Updates
AskSamsungSonyTVSony TV
37 Comments
bought Sony UHD tv recently and will not update, sony cust service terrible and full of empty promises!
i would choose samsung over sony as a brand
saint711

bought Sony UHD tv recently and will not update, sony cust service … bought Sony UHD tv recently and will not update, sony cust service terrible and full of empty promises!

Thanks for your reply. Which model did you buy and do you mean the app store would not update? (sorry for ignorance - I just have a normal TV myself!)
mutley1

i would choose samsung over sony as a brand

I was told the opposite! (Is it true that Samsung TVs don't have the bbc iplayer app? And can you mirror from your phone to a samsung TV?)
germainsophie

I was told the opposite! (Is it true that Samsung TVs don't have the bbc … I was told the opposite! (Is it true that Samsung TVs don't have the bbc iplayer app? And can you mirror from your phone to a samsung TV?)

there is not much difference with regard to facilities between brands as they will all do the same thing. it is more a difference in quality and price.

samsung smart tv will have the bbc iplayer app and more. when you say mirror your phone on the tv i assume you mean via a cable? i don't see why samsung can't do this if sony can.
Or what about this Panasonic TX-50CS520B 50?

Or a Samsung 48H6200 3D TV (even though this will be rarely/never used)?

PS: I'm truly and utterly confused and wish there was a website that put them in order from good to bad!
mutley1

there is not much difference with regard to facilities between brands as … there is not much difference with regard to facilities between brands as they will all do the same thing. it is more a difference in quality and price.samsung smart tv will have the bbc iplayer app and more. when you say mirror your phone on the tv i assume you mean via a cable? i don't see why samsung can't do this if sony can.

No I mean wireless mirroring. (My friend has a Panasonic TV and I can look through my phone's gallery on the TV).
germainsophie

No I mean wireless mirroring. (My friend has a Panasonic TV and I can … No I mean wireless mirroring. (My friend has a Panasonic TV and I can look through my phone's gallery on the TV).

i haven't used this facility before so i don't know. what you need is a smart tv as that can do the stuff you are referring to.

i don't rate panasonic as a brand. they are inferior and doesn't tend to last. i like samsung and LG for tvs.
I would recommend this one and picking up from store later this week myself. Android builtin and seen it working with Kodi fine. Casting builtin etc etc all the usual android perks.
PHILIPS
50PUT6400 50 inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED Android TV Freeview HD

Review here from AVForums (Got recommended award @ £599 price mark) Now £529/
avforums.com/rev…038

RicherSounds with 6 year warranty. £529
Here

Argos 2 year warranty £499
Here
mutley1

i haven't used this facility before so i don't know. what you need is a … i haven't used this facility before so i don't know. what you need is a smart tv as that can do the stuff you are referring to.i don't rate panasonic as a brand. they are inferior and doesn't tend to last. i like samsung and LG for tvs.

I don't think that is the biggest priority. As long as they can watch netflix on a big screen they'd be happy (occasional sport/gaming)!

I was considering the LG 49UF640, but in another thread someone said it was a fake 4k so I stopped looking at LGs and had moved to Sony/Samsung!
germainsophie

I don't think that is the biggest priority. As long as they can watch … I don't think that is the biggest priority. As long as they can watch netflix on a big screen they'd be happy (occasional sport/gaming)! I was considering the LG 49UF640, but in another thread someone said it was a fake 4k so I stopped looking at LGs and had moved to Sony/Samsung!

just work out what you want from the tv then look at the models available in the various brands. you can then check that what you need is available in that model. the apps on the tv will only appear on smart tv models the non smart ones won't have any app like bbc iplayer or netflix

i have an old smart samsung which is nearly 5 years old so it is getting useless as a smart tv. i don't plan on buying any more smart tv in future as you can get cheap sticks for the tv to turn it into a smart tv like the firestick or the chromecast and a few others that i have heard mentioned but have not even gone there.
germainsophie

I don't think that is the biggest priority. As long as they can watch … I don't think that is the biggest priority. As long as they can watch netflix on a big screen they'd be happy (occasional sport/gaming)! I was considering the LG 49UF640, but in another thread someone said it was a fake 4k so I stopped looking at LGs and had moved to Sony/Samsung!

Always try "AVForums" those guys and comunity know there stuff as you said and on avforums also that LG 4K only has HDMI 2.0 so anything attached can only play 4K at 30hz. But the panel itself is 4k. So not that its faxe 4k just that nothing attached to it will play proper 4K.
Edit- Can't be bothered correcting all my spelling!
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 29th Dec 2015
Having had both i prefer sony over samsung
cecilmcroberts

I would recommend this one and picking up from store later this week … I would recommend this one and picking up from store later this week myself. Android builtin and seen it working with Kodi fine. Casting builtin etc etc all the usual android perks. . PHILIPS50PUT6400 50 inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED Android TV Freeview HDReview here from AVForums (Got recommended award @ £599 price mark) Now £529/https://www.avforums.com/review/philips-50put6400-put6400-ultra-hd-4k-led-lcd-tv-review.12038RicherSounds with 6 year warranty. £529HereArgos 2 year warranty £499Here

​That has terrible reviews on Argos...
cecilmcroberts

I would recommend this one and picking up from store later this week … I would recommend this one and picking up from store later this week myself. Android builtin and seen it working with Kodi fine. Casting builtin etc etc all the usual android perks. . PHILIPS50PUT6400 50 inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED Android TV Freeview HDReview here from AVForums (Got recommended award @ £599 price mark) Now £529/https://www.avforums.com/review/philips-50put6400-put6400-ultra-hd-4k-led-lcd-tv-review.12038RicherSounds with 6 year warranty. £529HereArgos 2 year warranty £499Here

They're all OOS and as someone else has mentioned, the comments in the deal posted on here weren't very positive for it so I didn't reserve it at the time.
mutley1

just work out what you want from the tv then look at the models available … just work out what you want from the tv then look at the models available in the various brands. you can then check that what you need is available in that model. the apps on the tv will only appear on smart tv models the non smart ones won't have any app like bbc iplayer or netflixi have an old smart samsung which is nearly 5 years old so it is getting useless as a smart tv. i don't plan on buying any more smart tv in future as you can get cheap sticks for the tv to turn it into a smart tv like the firestick or the chromecast and a few others that i have heard mentioned but have not even gone there.

I think I've found two that I want but can't choose between them! I would rather have the better one you see. ( Just read that the Sony one has edge LED backlighting but the other type is better... Does it really make much of a difference?)

I don't see the point of it myself - as I also have a chromecast and now tv box on my normal tv but that's what I've been told to look for.

They've given this task to the wrong person! (Most indecisive person in the world here!)
madmax666

Thanks for your reply. Is there any particular reason for this?
I think it's all down to personal choice, I have always had LG TVs as last well and good after sale service. I currently have the LG 49UF680v 4K telly which is not fake 4K and has a brilliant image.
What about hisense? Seems to have decent reviews

amazon.co.uk/gp/…RM/

Under rated brand imo
Edited by: "Myriad" 29th Dec 2015
germainsophie

They're all OOS and as someone else has mentioned, the comments in the … They're all OOS and as someone else has mentioned, the comments in the deal posted on here weren't very positive for it so I didn't reserve it at the time.

In all honesty I'd rather trust a review on AVForums than hearsay on here or especially Argos. They are available to order online in RS instock. Also instock for delivery in Argos both cases delivery is free.
cecilmcroberts

Always try "AVForums" those guys and comunity know there stuff as you … Always try "AVForums" those guys and comunity know there stuff as you said and on avforums also that LG 4K only has HDMI 2.0 so anything attached can only play 4K at 30hz. But the panel itself is 4k. So not that its faxe 4k just that nothing attached to it will play proper 4K. Edit- Can't be bothered correcting all my spelling!

Sorry I missed this reply earlier. Everything you said just went over my head!

If Netflix is played by the TV app would that still not be fully 4k? (and ultimately is the LG 4k better than the Sony or samsung. ... yet more questions! It would probably be easier if someone bought a tv for me!!!)
I will join av forums though - thanks for the advice. Just not had the chance today!
germainsophie

Sorry I missed this reply earlier. Everything you said just went over my … Sorry I missed this reply earlier. Everything you said just went over my head! If Netflix is played by the TV app would that still not be fully 4k? (and ultimately is the LG 4k better than the Sony or samsung. ... yet more questions! It would probably be easier if someone bought a tv for me!!!)

You need to have DHCP 2.2 to be able to play Netflix/Prime in 4K from the app (its basically like a copyright protection decoder) The LG 4K also only plays 4K@30hz hence why you read comments about "fake 4K"
If still between your 3 choices I'd go for the Sony as better motion rate apart from that both much of a much.
germainsophie

Thanks for your reply. Which model did you buy and do you mean the app … Thanks for your reply. Which model did you buy and do you mean the app store would not update? (sorry for ignorance - I just have a normal TV myself!)

​hi, sorry for the late reply.
model KD-49X8305C and yes android apps, Netflix demand 5, I player etc. are not usable as the tv will not update due to an error.
saint711

​hi, sorry for the late reply.model KD-49X8305C and yes android apps, N … ​hi, sorry for the late reply.model KD-49X8305C and yes android apps, Netflix demand 5, I player etc. are not usable as the tv will not update due to an error.

Hi Saint711 , have you tries this?

sony.co.uk/sup…05C
cecilmcroberts

You need to have DHCP 2.2 to be able to play Netflix/Prime in 4K from the … You need to have DHCP 2.2 to be able to play Netflix/Prime in 4K from the app (its basically like a copyright protection decoder) The LG 4K also only plays 4K@30hz hence why you read comments about "fake 4K"If still between your 3 choices I'd go for the Sony as better motion rate apart from that both much of a much.

Hi thanks for all the helpful comments.

I've had a search on the AV forums and there's not been many replies to questions like mine.

It's between the Samsung 48H6200, Samsung Ue50h6200 and Sony KDL48W705CBU. According to Argos compare both of these TVs have a motion rate of 200. However I found this on AV forums which has semi put me off the Sony one now! (Although I noticed it dropped in price by another £20 today!!)
Edited by: "germainsophie" 31st Dec 2015
What TV did you end up going with? I'm looking at TVs in the same price level.
dunkeekong

What TV did you end up going with? I'm looking at TVs in the same price … What TV did you end up going with? I'm looking at TVs in the same price level.

I'm still undecided!!
It's now between the Samsung 48h6200 and the Sony one though as the 50 inch one is Oos local to me.

Upon a lot of reading it seems the h6400 is better than the h6200 (has motion rate of 400) however the cheapest I can find that is at curry's for 499.

Another good samsung is the curved one for about 509 at argos atm (48j6300) Unfortunately it's oos everywhere.

I'm losing sleep over this TV now!!! I think I'm going to let someone else make the decision for me and reserve both at my local argos. ...
I couldn't find any more information on this but one review said that the ue50h6200's screen isn't made by Samsung. Not sure why but there aren't many reviews on this model too!!

madmax666

​I deliver, install and repair. Panasonic are better quality, in the main!
germainsophie

Thanks for your reply. Is there any particular reason for this?

The sony seems to show better colour
tony211166

​I deliver, install and repair. Panasonic are better quality, in the m … ​I deliver, install and repair. Panasonic are better quality, in the main!

What about the better of the two I've narrowed it down to? (Sony kdl48w705c or samsung ue48h6200?)
madmax666

The sony seems to show better colour

The Sony is £50 cheaper which is why it's getting more votes (not for picture quality! !) but I'm happy to pay the extra for the Samsung UE48h6200 if it's better.

This Sony has edge lit LED and the Samsung is back lit. Should that make a big difference on picture quality?
d34l3r

which did you go for ?the Sony is now even … which did you go for ?the Sony is now even cheaper:http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sony-kdl-48w705c-smartfull-hd-1080p-48-inch-tv-now-tv-box-with-3-month-entertainment-2369289

Definitely going for the Samsung UE48H6200.

Can get it for 430 so for 20 pounds more think it's worth it .

Just never ordered from Ao.com and am in the process of reading reviews etc before ordering tomorrow. (Or coop electrical for 450.... which company is better? any ideas?)

... yes it usually takes this long for me to decide!!!
Im the same about taking my time. Somethings I talk myself out of things and then regret it. I've got friends who bought a washer from AO and it went fine, never bought a TV though
d34l3r

Im the same about taking my time. Somethings I talk myself out of things … Im the same about taking my time. Somethings I talk myself out of things and then regret it. I've got friends who bought a washer from AO and it went fine, never bought a TV though

Got the Samsung UE48J6300 in the end! So I also talked myself out of the H6200.

(I had to ask the person we were buying it for to choose and this fell in the price range!)

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants