Which Tv is better than the Sony Bravia 1080P KDL 40V4000 for around the same price?

Banned
Im thinking for getting a new tv, as currently i have an old 42" plasma, so i want to get something between the 40"s to the 50"s. As the Sony Bravia 1080P KDL 40V4000 goes for around £500 and at one point it was going for £400, i think. Is there any better tvs for around £400-£550 and within the 40-50 inch size?

20 Comments

I have the W4000 and am really happy with it, I think I managed to get it just over 600 if you can stretch your budget a little further

Original Poster Banned

is it worth the extra money and why? How big is the screen?

Original Poster Banned

p.s. im mainly using it to play with an hdmi xbox 360.

its still the 40"

there are a couple of features that are different, aesthtics is the main reason, theres a silver gril with a clear perspex panel where the power light illuminates (still cant figure out how that works)

other thinks include USB port and the ability to use the TV as a massive digital photoframe, it also comes with inbult images and believe me there is no better way to show off your TV's capabilities than to display this.

also x.v. colour:
"x.v.Colour delivers almost twice as many colours as the full RGB palette. x.v.Colour enables much more realistic images to be presented on-screen, although you'll need to own a High Definition TV to see them at their best. " from sony website.

compare the specs yourself:
sony.co.uk/pro…000
sony.co.uk/pro…000

they are not features you'd miss becuase you've never had them, but I went for the photoview and xv colour becuase I'm come to digitally edit images on the Tv now rather than laptop,

askfareed;4219024

p.s. im mainly using it to play with an hdmi xbox 360.

there are a number of currys stores that have the v4000, w4000 and w4500 (100hz version) set up with james bond promo, featuring half in standard def and half in HD the 2 sets will be side by side so its obviously the best companrison :thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

thanks i think i'll check it out, by the way where did you get that price from?

currys...... had to do it long way round though, they will only beat comets price, and give you 10% defference. but comet match against anyone, including richersounds.

so printed off the price of richersounds site, took it to comet, they said they'd beat it and thow me in a HDMI cable (which they knew that I knew they were massivly overpriced) I then got that in writing and took it to currys, got the same deal and 10% back

Sony - 40 LCD TV - Widescreen - Silver night blue
Price: £586.86
Model: KDL-40W4000 Resolution: 1920 x 1080 Output: Stereo

promactech.com/ind…469

Dont know what this shop is like but its a good price.

Original Poster Banned

^^yea i posted a deal from them before and the merchant got removed. SO im going to their shop as it's just 10 minutes away from me and i'll ask them if these prices are true, e.g. they had a misprice 42" excellent plasma for around £30

Original Poster Banned

i went to the address they say they are at, but it actually a different shop (aj electronics), i spoke to the store manage and said that promatech is a scam and they have registered themselves under aj electronics address, so don't shop there! Im gonna make a separate post.

Could someone tell me the difference the letters at the end of the product number stand for?
I have seen KDL-40W4000L, KDL-40W4000E, KDL-40W4000U ?
Thanks

Original Poster Banned

MinstrelMan;4218892

I have the W4000 and am really happy with it, I think I managed to get it … I have the W4000 and am really happy with it, I think I managed to get it just over 600 if you can stretch your budget a little further

where did you get it for £600?

askfareed;4263747

where did you get it for £600?

See post 8

Original Poster Banned

MinstrelMan;4263880

See post 8

it's not on any of their websites.

Original Poster Banned

I found it for £685 at amazon: amazon.co.uk/Son…8-3

which shops will price match it and give be a better offer, e.g. cheaper or 5 years guarantee.

Might have been discontinued, there will still be some places selling them

I dont think any will price match web only merchants

Original Poster Banned

askfareed;4264008

I found it for £685 at amazon: … I found it for £685 at amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL-40V4000-Widescreen-Bravia-Freeview/dp/B0018PPQN2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233608256&sr=8-3which shops will price match it and give be a better offer, e.g. cheaper or 5 years guarantee.

my mistake that's the V4000, im looking for the W4000, i guess richersounds are the cheapest for the W4000

The w40 and v40 have now stoped pro9duction of these units as a new model will b out in march. So all stores are running down stock untill the models are out in april. But as they have been so busy over christmas stock is low and prices have gone up as the the shops with stock will try and maximise profit untill the new models are out due to stock shortage

The price at amazon is not bad but thats without any extended warrenty
and due to the shortages most sony shopsmhave taken orders on the v and w so you cant even barter

they only time they will go down again is very late feb maybee early march when the new stock is in but by then most of the w and v will have sold out

Look at joh lewis on the w4000 they have put it up to £999 and have sold out of the 40v
so best bet is to wait on john lewis untill they panic and decide to sell it for £700 or so

smugla;4290346

The w40 and v40 have now stoped pro9duction of these units as a new model … The w40 and v40 have now stoped pro9duction of these units as a new model will b out in march. So all stores are running down stock untill the models are out in april. But as they have been so busy over christmas stock is low and prices have gone up as the the shops with stock will try and maximise profit untill the new models are out due to stock shortage The price at amazon is not bad but thats without any extended warrentyand due to the shortages most sony shopsmhave taken orders on the v and w so you cant even barter they only time they will go down again is very late feb maybee early march when the new stock is in but by then most of the w and v will have sold outLook at joh lewis on the w4000 they have put it up to £999 and have sold out of the 40v so best bet is to wait on john lewis untill they panic and decide to sell it for £700 or so

yep, I decided to wait as well. v4000 was 499 in JL at some point and w4000was 680+dvd recorder at tesco direct on boxing day (though no 5y warranty). I'm in no rush and looking at the current economic news I don't think people are going to rush to the shops as well for a £999 tv set (especially when other brands are much cheaper that sony)... Hope i don't have to wait until next xmas :santa:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2640
    2. Thousands of minimum wage workers to receive part of £2,000,000 compensatio…44
    3. Weekly game codes giveaway 183722
    4. How much would you pay for this chair?1214

See more discussions