which underlay for engineered wooden flooring?

Found 6th Mar
its a new floor so its all pretty even (concrete)

what underlay do you reccomend?

a few people have suggested timbermate underlay and few others fibreboard
ive been advised to stay away from wickes stuff

any advice?

thanks
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
I use this.
GAVINLEWISHUKD11 m ago

I use this.

I have a roll of this stuff and vapour tape as left from doing mine.

It will NOT level your floor. best suggestion is to get your floor level
My floor is new, connecting to a section of old, at the connection I can feel the uneven flooring
sunil2373 m ago

I have a roll of this stuff and vapour tape as left from doing mine.It …I have a roll of this stuff and vapour tape as left from doing mine.It will NOT level your floor. best suggestion is to get your floor levelMy floor is new, connecting to a section of old, at the connection I can feel the uneven flooring

"its a new floor so its all pretty even"

He has an even floor.
The foam you got recommended looks decent. That being said I would like to add a few things.

1. If the concrete has been laid recently you need to do a moisture test. With concrete it releases water moisture long after it has been laid and this can have devastating effects on your new floor. If it is still has high moisture you can put down a damp proof membrane to make a barrier between floor and concrete, just make sure you tape the joins and ends.

2. Make sure that the floor + depth of underlay is not greater than your door or any other obstacles. I have seen floors laid and then it becomes apparent that the door no longer opens and closes. Yes you can cut a bit off a timber door, not so good when the door is UPVC.
GAVINLEWISHUKD34 m ago

"its a new floor so its all pretty even"He has an even floor.

He has an "uneven" floor if you can't read properly though lol!!
sunil23717 m ago

He has an "uneven" floor if you can't read properly though lol!!

Where does it say that!?!? I copied and pasted from the OP! Lol

Why would you make a new uneven floor? Lol
Edited by: "GAVINLEWISHUKD" 6th Mar
i used the stuff gavin recomended but went for the platinum version seems to get good ratings, gavin i also a fair bit left over i cut it up and put it behind my radiators to reflect the heat back much cheaper than buying the stuff on a roll you buy in diy shops.
GAVINLEWISHUKD5 h, 5 m ago

Where does it say that!?!? I copied and pasted from the OP! LolWhy would …Where does it say that!?!? I copied and pasted from the OP! LolWhy would you make a new uneven floor? Lol

It’s even but interesting about moisture have timber doors so they could be cut I guess . Ok that’s good to know . Will check it out . I was recommended timbermate people are saying different things
GAVINLEWISHUKD6 h, 11 m ago

I use this.

That’s quite cheap as I was expecting to pay double I need around 40sqm will this be fine for engineered wood . Does this one have a foam membrane etc for damp and sound isolation ?
Rabmac15 h, 42 m ago

The foam you got recommended looks decent. That being said I would like …The foam you got recommended looks decent. That being said I would like to add a few things.1. If the concrete has been laid recently you need to do a moisture test. With concrete it releases water moisture long after it has been laid and this can have devastating effects on your new floor. If it is still has high moisture you can put down a damp proof membrane to make a barrier between floor and concrete, just make sure you tape the joins and ends. 2. Make sure that the floor + depth of underlay is not greater than your door or any other obstacles. I have seen floors laid and then it becomes apparent that the door no longer opens and closes. Yes you can cut a bit off a timber door, not so good when the door is UPVC.

Rabmac15 h, 42 m ago

The foam you got recommended looks decent. That being said I would like …The foam you got recommended looks decent. That being said I would like to add a few things.1. If the concrete has been laid recently you need to do a moisture test. With concrete it releases water moisture long after it has been laid and this can have devastating effects on your new floor. If it is still has high moisture you can put down a damp proof membrane to make a barrier between floor and concrete, just make sure you tape the joins and ends. 2. Make sure that the floor + depth of underlay is not greater than your door or any other obstacles. I have seen floors laid and then it becomes apparent that the door no longer opens and closes. Yes you can cut a bit off a timber door, not so good when the door is UPVC.

Would you recommend a damn proof membrane and then the underlay on top ?
wakkaday22 m ago

That’s quite cheap as I was expecting to pay double I need around 40sqm w …That’s quite cheap as I was expecting to pay double I need around 40sqm will this be fine for engineered wood . Does this one have a foam membrane etc for damp and sound isolation ?

The plastic foil acts as the vapour barrier and has an overlapped strip so no edges are exposed to the concrete. Then there is either 5mm or 6mm of closed cell foam for insulation and to absorb movement in the floor when you walk on it.

Just make sure you sweep and vacuum the concrete floor so no sharp stones puncture the foil.
GAVINLEWISHUKD17 m ago

The plastic foil acts as the vapour barrier and has an overlapped strip so …The plastic foil acts as the vapour barrier and has an overlapped strip so no edges are exposed to the concrete. Then there is either 5mm or 6mm of closed cell foam for insulation and to absorb movement in the floor when you walk on it.Just make sure you sweep and vacuum the concrete floor so no sharp stones puncture the foil.

Thanks will order this

I wouldn’t need the damp sheet sepreatrly would I or should this be ok
wakkaday10 m ago

Thanks will order thisI wouldn’t need the damp sheet sepreatrly would I or …Thanks will order thisI wouldn’t need the damp sheet sepreatrly would I or should this be ok

If the floor is fully dried you will be fine. I wouldn't lay a floor for 2 weeks after a new concrete floor had gone down and been in a heated room (as mentioned above by Rabmac1)
Got no radiators in moment maybe I need a get a portable heater and just keep it on? Or a humidifier

I need tape vapour aswell right ? For 40sqm is 2 rolls enough
wakkaday8 h, 33 m ago

Got no radiators in moment maybe I need a get a portable heater and just …Got no radiators in moment maybe I need a get a portable heater and just keep it on? Or a humidifier I need tape vapour aswell right ? For 40sqm is 2 rolls enough

Dehumidifier
wakkaday7th Mar

That’s quite cheap as I was expecting to pay double I need around 40sqm w …That’s quite cheap as I was expecting to pay double I need around 40sqm will this be fine for engineered wood . Does this one have a foam membrane etc for damp and sound isolation ?

Sorry for delay, yes put the underlay on top of the damp proof membrane.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants