Groups

Which version of windows?

Looking to install windows on my soon to be built htpc but not sure which to use. Got XP on my laptop but read that vista is good for htpc but not too sure of the reasons.
    I'll be using it for light internet use, playing, streaming and ripping HD content as well as a jukebox type setup for music. Planning on using mediaportal maybe as an interface or xlobby perhaps.
    Any suggestions or places to get the most suitable version from?

8 Comments

if its for a htpc then think about buying the media centre version,

Original Poster

of vista? thing is though i'm planning on using mediaportal or xlobby for the interface as they both have features and a look i like. so not sure if mediacentre would be worth is. just basically want an operation system.

could use linux, then install a free media centre application......... but if you must, probably best to get one of the light xp versions, xp black or something .......

Original Poster

i dont think mediaportal works with linux. i'm at least used to xp but was wondering if vista was that much better. there's the costs too if i'm buying it brand new.

windows linux is good lol

if you dont want issues on instaling new softwares in the future go for vista

Original Poster

i'd rather not have any issues of any sort if possible.
    where's cheap for vista or can/do people use "other sources"?

kj23;3865630

i'd rather not have any issues of any sort if possible. where's cheap for … i'd rather not have any issues of any sort if possible. where's cheap for vista or can/do people use "other sources"?

try some torrents but best bet is ebuyer / scan / dabs etc ir even amazon for prices
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …3271155
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764585
      3. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism1934
      4. Entitled to overtime to be included in your holiday pay1022

See more discussions