Which was your favourite Smartphone pop up camera?

Expert (Beta)31
Posted 24th May
I'm feeling sad today, Smartphone design is becoming boring again, hole punch designs are becoming the norm, teardrop designs now ahead of pop ups, 2019 was a great year for that full immersive display.

So as pop up smartphones are becoming few and far between, I am reflecting back to 2019 where nearly every manufacturer came out with their own take on the pop up camera.

So my question is, which was your favourite?

I've tried to find gifs of each, but if not have added an image with a title.

Oneplus 7 Pro:
8489780701590301856.jpg

Oppo reno:
5340879651590301919.jpg

Samsung Galaxy A80:
1542535261590301963.jpg

Asus Zenfone 6:
9427425701590302022.jpg

Xiaomi Mi 9t/9t PRO LED:
2032840321590302127.jpg

Oppo find x:
7819230401590302263.jpg

Xiaomi Mi Mix 3:
17196244031590302319.jpg

Vivo nex 3:
3470331-LB0yO.jpg
If I've missed any, let me know
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
I've never even seen a phone or knew they existed with a pop up camera and it's not like I'm a teenager I'm 40 + years OLD
31 Comments
40854560-7tDrk.jpg

40854560-bV4vn.jpg

40854560-6XXTj.jpg

40854560-mesv6.jpg

40854560-k8dn7.jpg
40854565-Ls4Qz.jpg
For me its between Reno shark fin or the mi 9t/pro. Shark fin is cool but the notification led on the mi 9t added extra functionality. I also wish they'd stuck with pop ups. I've not read of any widespread issue with the mechanics failing with pop ups over time, so they're reliable enough. One my favourite features of my current mi max 3 is the uninterrupted display, I don't really want to give it up but there is less and less choice on the market
Reno for me, love the shark!
Was there a phone that had a display on the back too? I forgotten the name of it!
RadiantDuck24/05/2020 07:47

For me its between Reno shark fin or the mi 9t/pro. Shark fin is cool but …For me its between Reno shark fin or the mi 9t/pro. Shark fin is cool but the notification led on the mi 9t added extra functionality. I also wish they'd stuck with pop ups. I've not read of any widespread issue with the mechanics failing with pop ups over time, so they're reliable enough. One my favourite features of my current mi max 3 is the uninterrupted display, I don't really want to give it up but there is less and less choice on the market

Maybe it is the cost if the mechanics, you know how tight these companies are.

Hate the notch on the 7t, loving the lack of nothc on the find X, probably my favourite was the Find X, so unique at the time.
I've never even seen a phone or knew they existed with a pop up camera and it's not like I'm a teenager I'm 40 + years OLD
Smudgey9024/05/2020 07:49

Was there a phone that had a display on the back too? I forgotten the name …Was there a phone that had a display on the back too? I forgotten the name of it!

Yeah there were a couple, the nex Dual display, and the Nubia X, two amazing feats of engineering.
nopartylikeansclubparty24/05/2020 07:51

I've never even seen a phone or knew they existed … I've never even seen a phone or knew they existed with a pop up camera and it's not like I'm a teenager I'm 40 + years OLD

Haha, I've owned all of them, how bad is that?
Mi mix 3 for me
MrSwitch24/05/2020 07:53

Well you have to live up to your name!
Nokia n93
MrSwitch24/05/2020 07:53

Its pretty bad with all the phones you've probably still got have you thought about doing a photo, like in the matrix when their is neo all around him on screens... Would be an amazing photo
nopartylikeansclubparty24/05/2020 07:57

Its pretty bad with all the phones you've probably still got have …Its pretty bad with all the phones you've probably still got have you thought about doing a photo, like in the matrix when their is neo all around him on screens... Would be an amazing photo

There's an idea
I prefer the one that has a micro drone with camera attached which flies out.....

What do mean no such device exists!?!?!

Oh no, I've arrived in the wrong year....I was looking for those legendary old online Tesco deals.....

Oh well, back into the HUKD sponsored time machine...should've read the damn instructions
sxxychocolate24/05/2020 08:03

I prefer the one that has a micro drone with camera attached which flies …I prefer the one that has a micro drone with camera attached which flies out.....What do mean no such device exists!?!?!Oh no, I've arrived in the wrong year....I was looking for those legendary old online Tesco deals.....Oh well, back into the HUKD sponsored time machine...should've read the damn instructions

I know we love innovation....but how about just a little bezel at the top for now?.....you know, somewhere to still add a nice lens....you could joosh up the gap with disco lights...you know, innovate....

I hate any type of cut out. Manufacturers harp on about how amazing the screen is, amothis, amothat, refresh rates, pixel density, and then stick a horrid gap into it!?!?!?!?!
sxxychocolate24/05/2020 08:12

I know we love innovation....but how about just a little bezel at the top …I know we love innovation....but how about just a little bezel at the top for now?.....you know, somewhere to still add a nice lens....you could joosh up the gap with disco lights...you know, innovate....I hate any type of cut out. Manufacturers harp on about how amazing the screen is, amothis, amothat, refresh rates, pixel density, and then stick a horrid gap into it!?!?!?!?!

Under display cameras are on the way, which will sort that out.
MrSwitch24/05/2020 08:15

Under display cameras are on the way, which will sort that out.

Yeh, will be briil....Note 20?

Interested in the new Microsoft phone too.

Wish samsung would do an LG and bring out an attachable screen for the Note series....foldable are just too expensive at the moment..
Sometimes needless overly complex solutions are found to resolve relatively small problems.
Pop up cam phones belong in this territory IMHO
sxxychocolate24/05/2020 08:20

Yeh, will be briil....Note 20?Interested in the new Microsoft phone …Yeh, will be briil....Note 20?Interested in the new Microsoft phone too.Wish samsung would do an LG and bring out an attachable screen for the Note series....foldable are just too expensive at the moment..

That Microsoft phone looks insane, though it's been in the works for a long old time, and a prototype was released last year, by the time it gets here it'll be old tech

I owned the v50 dual screen and it's a wonder
adamderak24/05/2020 08:21

Sometimes needless overly complex solutions are found to resolve …Sometimes needless overly complex solutions are found to resolve relatively small problems.Pop up cam phones belong in this territory IMHO

Respectable opinion definitely.
I still love them and want more
I'm greedy.

Hows the baba?
MrSwitch24/05/2020 08:23

Respectable opinion definitely.I still love them and want moreI'm …Respectable opinion definitely.I still love them and want moreI'm greedy.Hows the baba?

Sleeps a lot at the expense of everyone's else sleep.
More consumed by my 2 year old daughter whose first words were " can I punch baby,"
She's already daddy's girl but now wants my 100% attention.
He's lovely and main thing healthy as a butchers dog.
"can I punch baby" jeez

Glad he's a healthy little lad.
MrSwitch24/05/2020 08:23

Respectable opinion definitely.I still love them and want moreI'm …Respectable opinion definitely.I still love them and want moreI'm greedy.Hows the baba?

Think I have a phobia against pop up electronic bits.
Ever since my car battery died. Battery located in the boot & yep electronic boot release. With no battery, boot not opening , so couldn't access the battery.
I love the 7 Pro pop-up design, not much of a fan of the shark fin style but it's way better than the hole punch. Privacy benefits are great too, nobody can access selfie camera without you knowing.
Late to the party, but what about just dropping the selfie camera altogether? They could then use the saved space and /or cost for something else? I wouldn't miss it one bit, but my kids might.
Rickardo27/05/2020 08:28

Late to the party, but what about just dropping the selfie camera …Late to the party, but what about just dropping the selfie camera altogether? They could then use the saved space and /or cost for something else? I wouldn't miss it one bit, but my kids might.

I think that maybe a controversial subject.
Rickardo27/05/2020 08:28

Late to the party, but what about just dropping the selfie camera …Late to the party, but what about just dropping the selfie camera altogether? They could then use the saved space and /or cost for something else? I wouldn't miss it one bit, but my kids might.

That wouldn't happen. It's unnecessary and selfie camera too important for a lot of people. No video calling, no uploading videos of yourself to social media, people wouldn't be able to cope.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants