Which washer/dryer should I buy/avoid?

Posted 1st Feb
Any recommendations for a good washer/dryer? I need combined as I don't have enough space for separate
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

18 Comments
Do you need an all in one. Induvidual ones are much better.
I would look at names like bosch, smeg, zanussi,
I would not buy hotpoint/whirlpool brand. But that is just my opinion.
Siemens and Bosch are quite good, as for some others I’ve heard bad things about the quality of Electrolux (AEG, John Lewis, Zanussi) lately but YMMV.

If I were you I’d avoid *ANY* Whirlpool or Whirlpool brand (IKEA, Hotpoint, Indesit, etc.) at all costs after all the fires and general disregard for safety they’ve displayed.
Edited by: "ishybon" 1st Feb
Had a Zanussi washing machine for over 13 years problem free, never had a dryer.
Edited by: "jaketheplumber" 1st Feb
cornishscouse01/02/2020 15:13

Do you need an all in one. Induvidual ones are much better.I would look at …Do you need an all in one. Induvidual ones are much better.I would look at names like bosch, smeg, zanussi, I would not buy hotpoint/whirlpool brand. But that is just my opinion.

Thanks. I had concerns about Hotpoint as well. I heard Bosch is not as good as before and most of it is made by the same people as Beko.
ishybon01/02/2020 15:28

Siemens and Bosch are quite good, as for some others I’ve heard bad things …Siemens and Bosch are quite good, as for some others I’ve heard bad things about the quality of Electrolux (AEG, John Lewis, Zanussi) lately but YMMV.If I were you I’d avoid *ANY* Whirlpool or Whirlpool brand (IKEA, Hotpoint, Indesit, etc.) at all costs after all the fires and general disregard for safety they’ve displayed.

I like Siemens but not the prices. What have you heard with Electrolux?

Agree about Whirlpool.
I have a candy washing machine and had it three years so far with no problems
chance18901/02/2020 15:57

I like Siemens but not the prices. What have you heard with …I like Siemens but not the prices. What have you heard with Electrolux?Agree about Whirlpool.

Ah, just remember some people saying the quality is going downhill online. Can’t source it for you because I just don’t remember, sorry.

My parents got a Siemens washer with a 5yr warranty from John Lewis for around £500 IIRC, and have a similar priced dryer from AEG Electrolux both bought c. 2014, no problems with either
Edited by: "ishybon" 1st Feb
Would you be able to buy separate machines and stack one on top of the other?
nannafish01/02/2020 18:37

Would you be able to buy separate machines and stack one on top of the …Would you be able to buy separate machines and stack one on top of the other?

I wish. I have a small kitchen and need the worktop.
I recently disposed of a Hotpoint Washer/Dryer. It was utterly hopeless as a dryer and average as a washer. If I was in the situation of needing to dry clothes in a small flat again, I'd hang the clothes in bathroom on a clothes airer or install a retractable clothes line and buy a good quality dehumidifier to dry them overnight. Friend of ours has been doing this for years very successfully.
Don’t fall for the cheap washers sold by the likes of hotpoint, indesit, Hoover, candy or any other that will give you a 10 year parts warranty. It will cost you £120+ a time or they will allow you to pay this yearly for labour charges. This makes a cheap machine very expensive
airbus33001/02/2020 23:48

I recently disposed of a Hotpoint Washer/Dryer. It was utterly hopeless as …I recently disposed of a Hotpoint Washer/Dryer. It was utterly hopeless as a dryer and average as a washer. If I was in the situation of needing to dry clothes in a small flat again, I'd hang the clothes in bathroom on a clothes airer or install a retractable clothes line and buy a good quality dehumidifier to dry them overnight. Friend of ours has been doing this for years very successfully.

When I had to use Hotpoint (landlord's choice), it was awful. It wouldn't clean clothes. It left detergent on and at high spins damaged clothing.
eslick02/02/2020 05:10

Don’t fall for the cheap washers sold by the likes of hotpoint, indesit, H …Don’t fall for the cheap washers sold by the likes of hotpoint, indesit, Hoover, candy or any other that will give you a 10 year parts warranty. It will cost you £120+ a time or they will allow you to pay this yearly for labour charges. This makes a cheap machine very expensive

Ah I liked the look of Hoover/Candy and that they had apps. What about Beko?
I'd never buy or recommend a Hotpoint or Whirlpool appliance. The worst of the worst.

Beko are an excellent budget brand and offer profound reliability and performance for the price you pay. We've got Beko everything in terms of white goods and have also recommended their products to close family members and friends. I have yet to hear one person complain about any product made by Beko.
chance18902/02/2020 09:30

Ah I liked the look of Hoover/Candy and that they had apps. What about …Ah I liked the look of Hoover/Candy and that they had apps. What about Beko?

Beko are a generally trusted washer brand, but factor in the warranty again, the slides of Samsung and LG can be had for not much more when on offer and have a full 5 year warranty
Edited by: "eslick" 2nd Feb
pot luck nowadays, pros n cons with most brands.
chance18902/02/2020 09:30

Ah I liked the look of Hoover/Candy and that they had apps. What about …Ah I liked the look of Hoover/Candy and that they had apps. What about Beko?

Beko are probably best budget brand. If price is an issue then go for one of those. Don't be fouled by gadgetry either. Candy/Hoover are just as bad as Hotpoint/Indesit crap.
I have owned a Hotpoint Aqualtis 11kg washer dryer for about 6 years, it has been amazing. And it takes massive wash loads when we really need it, to get through the mountain of washing from the kids.
Edited by: "slɐǝpʞnʇoɥ" 2nd Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants