Hotpoint 9kg
Energy Efficiency Class: A
Wash Performance Rating: A
Spin Efficiency: B

Candy 8kg
Energy Efficiency Class: A+
Wash Performance Rating: A
Spin Efficiency: A

Basically, the 8kg one has better spec on paper but if I get the 9kg one, it means I have one less wash to do by the time I'm on my 8th wash.

Which one will save me more money in the long run?

Spin efficiency might irrelevant as I dry all of my clothes on a rack in my utility room for free.

Of course this is not taking into account the brand, I have no idea how hotpoint compares against candy in terms of build quality and life.

Cheers
Community Updates
41 Comments
beko! and double post from another account?
i would not touch either
Type yourbeko! and double post from another account? comment here...
Basically, the 8kg one has better spec on paper but if I get the 9kg one, it means I have one less wash to do by the time I'm on my 8th wash.

Which one will save me more money in the long run?
both save the same then wouldn't they
That sounds terribly uncomfortable.

I can pm you the best buys from which if you like?
THIS IS NOT THE TIME FOR WASHING MACHINES
myself and a family member have a candy and only fault we have found is it has bother doing a high spin if there are only a couple of items(drum cant seem to balance properly with wee amount).
Wouldnt touch hotpoint washing machine(or any other hotpoint appliance)my last machine was an aquarius and the bearings went within a year and a half.
Edited by: "tr2n" 18th Dec 2012
I got a Samsung the other day with direct drive drum, really good at really quite, ... Id recommend a Samsung.
All depends how you want it to breakdown. Come to a grinding halt like a true hotpoint or for abit more excitement bursting into flames like a Candy?
hooray henry

All depends how you want it to breakdown. Come to a grinding halt like a … All depends how you want it to breakdown. Come to a grinding halt like a true hotpoint or for abit more excitement bursting into flames like a Candy?

Yeah just personal preference really.
tl;dr
Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments folks.

I'll scrap both and I think I'll go for this:

rgbdirect.co.uk/Pro…2LW

am I good now or do you folks recommend an alternative?

Cheers
whatsThePoint

direct drive offers no benefits so i wouldn't recommend … direct drive offers no benefits so i wouldn't recommend samsunghttp://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/buying-advice/washing-machine/3378-direct-drive-versus-indirect-drive-washing-machines.html

Well its quieter, and a 5 year motor guarantee
Bosch, you won't regret it...
Samsung, or at a lower price point Beko.

Avoid Hotpoint / Indesit, also Candy / Hoover.
Have to eat my like on Beko's not being decent, 75 % was one of their products scores, 5 % below the best buy. oO
Bosch is great. Mine still going stronger over 3 year
FTCom

Bosch, you won't regret it...

I did. A few months ago the bearings failed on my expensive Bosch machine after just 2 years. Bosch were very unsympathetic and told me I should have bought an extended warranty. Cost of repair would have been many hundreds of pounds. Wish I had known about the sale of goods act at the time or I would have taken this up with the retailer. Maybe I was just unlucky but even the so called 'quality' brands seem to offer no assurance that the machine will last these days. I really expected better from Bosch. This time I have gone for a John Lewis machine with a 5 year warranty in the hope that if it fails JL will actually do something about it.
Hotpoints are so reliable! wont let you down.
NabzE17

Be serious.

My local scrap dealer said that Hotpoint Washing Machines are his best form of income.
Inactive

Be serious.My local scrap dealer said that Hotpoint Washing Machines are … Be serious.My local scrap dealer said that Hotpoint Washing Machines are his best form of income.

everyone has their view on things Hotpoint is such a respected and well known company in my households its always been them for washing machines and they last years!
It may well be " well known " not so sure about the " respected " .. (_;)
CosmicCat

I did. A few months ago the bearings failed on my expensive Bosch machine … I did. A few months ago the bearings failed on my expensive Bosch machine after just 2 years. Bosch were very unsympathetic and told me I should have bought an extended warranty. Cost of repair would have been many hundreds of pounds. Wish I had known about the sale of goods act at the time or I would have taken this up with the retailer. Maybe I was just unlucky but even the so called 'quality' brands seem to offer no assurance that the machine will last these days. I really expected better from Bosch. This time I have gone for a John Lewis machine with a 5 year warranty in the hope that if it fails JL will actually do something about it.

I would make sure I got the German-made Bosch (Logixx or Exxcel).

We have a top of the range Hotpoint as recommend by 'Which' - a magazine we trusted until this disaster of a washing machine.

The Hotpoints that lasted for years were British, these newer ones are not British, and although they have the name they are not Hotpoint - they are shoddy and will fall apart in no time.
Ours is less than a year old and we've already had them out to repair it on five occasions.

You have an opportunity here to learn from our mistake.
tryn2help

I would make sure I got the German-made Bosch (Logixx or Exxcel).We have … I would make sure I got the German-made Bosch (Logixx or Exxcel).We have a top of the range Hotpoint as recommend by 'Which' - a magazine we trusted until this disaster of a washing machine.The Hotpoints that lasted for years were British, these newer ones are not British, and although they have the name they are not Hotpoint - they are shoddy and will fall apart in no time. Ours is less than a year old and we've already had them out to repair it on five occasions.You have an opportunity here to learn from our mistake.

Agree with this, had a Hotpoint and ended up regretting it, had the engineer out 8 times before we swopped out for Bosch, haven't had any issues in the time we've had it..
Banned
NabzE17

LOL - I hope you are kidding

thought everyone knew that hotpoint machines are very poor
If you want a wwashing machine that will last you 10/15 years like the old hotpoint ones used to then look no further than LG and Samsung (and to an extent Daewoo), they come with direct drive technology which not only means they quieter to run but also more energy efficient. In a few years time I think all washing machines will have this technology as the direct drive also means less chance of common faults with belts and motors. LG come with 2 years parts and labour warranty with 10 years direct motor warranty. Samsung comes with 5 years parts and labour warranty and 10 years motor warranty (and Daewoo with 2 years parts and labour). Hotpoint and Candy (as well as Indesit, Hoover and Cannon) both come with 1 year parts and labour warranty but they make it seem like 5 years warranty, which in fact only applies to parts and even though parts are covered for 5 years when you ring them up and tell them the washing machine has gone faulty after the first year, they will tell you that they supply part free as warranty but their condition is you have to use their engineer with absurd charges for each visit he makes.

I can guarantee that hotpoint washing machine bearings or programme circuit board will go faulty within the first 5 years.
My Hotpoint has been fantastic so far, only had it 2 years but it hasn't missed a beat. And my Mum's last two machines have been Indesits and they've both lasted 15+ years.
I got an Indesit PWE91672W about 5 months ago. Mainly on the basis that it's a Which best buy (IIRC) and good online reviews. I was dubious about it being an Indesit, but the build seems good for a £280 machine. Anyway, I've has no problems.
spec: 9kg, 1600rpm, big loading door, A++ etc.
Reasonably quiet (if you remember to level it out properly, in the first place). And my typical wash (coloured cottons) is only 1hr 37mins.
buddhabelly

I got an Indesit PWE91672W about 5 months ago. Mainly on the basis that … I got an Indesit PWE91672W about 5 months ago. Mainly on the basis that it's a Which best buy (IIRC) and good online reviews. I was dubious about it being an Indesit, but the build seems good for a £280 machine. Anyway, I've has no problems.spec: 9kg, 1600rpm, big loading door, A++ etc.Reasonably quiet (if you remember to level it out properly, in the first place). And my typical wash (coloured cottons) is only 1hr 37mins.

Surely nobody trusts Which anymore, I certainly do not.
Banned
Inactive

Surely nobody trusts Which anymore, I certainly do not.

Indesit has never made a machine that Which have recommended

I just checked.....
Original Poster
Hey guys,

We're not going with the Hotpoint anymore, we're going for the Beko:

rgbdirect.co.uk/Pro…2LW

Is that alright?
Banned
Mubs

Hey guys,We're not going with the Hotpoint anymore, we're going for the … Hey guys,We're not going with the Hotpoint anymore, we're going for the Beko:http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/Products/Appliances/Washing-Machine/BEKO/WMB91442LWIs that alright?

WHICH didnt rate it much but that was at £563

Boasting a large 9kg drum, the Beko WMB91442LR washing machine has a range of special programs including an impressive 'Quick Daily' wash that cleans a lightly soiled load in just 39 minutes. But does it pair speed with excellent cleaning? Read on to find out how it fared in our comprehensive lab tests.

After it appeared in a Beko TV ad, we had high hopes for the WMB91442L. But though it's a speedy and efficient machine, its cleaning power is nothing to write home about, so it's not a Best Buy.

Average cleaning
While the cottons wash performed better than synthetics in our tests, overall we judged this Beko's cleaning as average. It gets your clothes clean, but other machines we've reviewed do the job better.

Though you won't have to wait long for your clothes to be ready. With its large 9kg drum filled to 80% capacity with cottons, it took just 97 minutes to complete the cycle, which is staggeringly quick.

Good rinse and spin
The rinse cycle did a fine job of clearing detergent from our load of test clothes, but those worried about detergent residue may want to use the extra rinse option.

The 1400 rpm spin proved quite noisy, but it was effective at removing water from our clothes, so laundry shouldn't take long to dry once out of the machine.

Door and detergent tray hard to grip
When it comes to loading and unloading, the machine's door handle is designed to be used with the ends of your fingers only, but our scientists found there was a slight risk of your fingers being pinched by it in the process.

The detergent drawer moves very smoothly and requires little effort to open and close, but, like the door, it's a little hard to grip in the first place. There are markings to indicate the different compartments, but they are quite hard to read. There's a maximum fill line in the softener compartment, but not in the main wash compartment.

Hard to read control panel
Our test lab scientists found the controls rather difficult to use, and some of the symbols are quite hard to read. Though we always recommend you read the instruction manual before operating any large domestic appliance, it may be a necessity with this Beko washing machine.

The LCD is very easy to read and has a time-remaining display. The Beko also has a 24-hour delay start, so you can set the machine to start automatically up to a day in advance.

Good water and energy efficiency
Many modern washing machines are energy and water efficient, but this Beko goes the extra mile to deliver exceptionally low energy use, so it shouldn't add much to your electricity bill.

We measure exactly how much electricity is used by each of the large appliances we test. For the most up-to-date estimate of running costs for this machine, click the 'Full specification' tab at the top of this page.

Also available in white
This Beko's rather striking shade of red (WMB91442LR) is exclusive to customers shopping at BrightHouse, but a white version of the same machine (WMB91442LW) is more widely available.

Pros: Cleans clothes well, rinses thoroughly, spins out plenty of water, large opening into the machine, quick with cottons, low energy and water use

Cons: Door handle and detergent tray are difficult to grip, the control panel is hard to read, buttons close together
Original Poster
Thanks for that mate.
Does anybody have any better suggestions under 300 quid for a 9kg washer?

Thanks
buddhabelly

I got an Indesit PWE91672W about 5 months ago. Mainly on the basis that … I got an Indesit PWE91672W about 5 months ago. Mainly on the basis that it's a Which best buy (IIRC) and good online reviews. I was dubious about it being an Indesit, but the build seems good for a £280 machine. Anyway, I've has no problems.spec: 9kg, 1600rpm, big loading door, A++ etc.Reasonably quiet (if you remember to level it out properly, in the first place). And my typical wash (coloured cottons) is only 1hr 37mins.

This is the machine we went for in the end, only had it a few months and seems fine, but who knows what will happen in another year. I hope it does last because I love the way it all works.
Ive slagged hotpoints off but my old mums 20yr machine keeps going. Bits have been breaking off recently in the drum recently but it keeps going.Not for much longer though oO
Mubs

Thanks for that mate.Does anybody have any better suggestions under 300 … Thanks for that mate.Does anybody have any better suggestions under 300 quid for a 9kg washer?Thanks

hand wash is so much cheaper
Original Poster
So does anybody have anything bad to say about Beko or shall I go for it?

I went into a store today and the clerk slagged Beko off and recommended a Hotpoint wmud962. He agreed with me that Hotpoints are generally crap but this along with one other hotpoint machine was the only decent one in their entire range.

What do you reckon?
Mubs

Thanks for all the comments folks.I'll scrap both and I think I'll go for … Thanks for all the comments folks.I'll scrap both and I think I'll go for this:http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/Products/Appliances/Washing-Machine/BEKO/WMB91442LWam I good now or do you folks recommend an alternative?Cheers

thats the machine ive got. had it about 3 months. the only complaint i have is it holds a small amount of water in the seal when the cycle has finished. got mine from appliances online.
Never buy Hotpoint/indesit/Ariston or Hoover/Candy.

Best

Bosch ( German built ones )
Miele

Then

Panasonic
Samsung
LG
AEG
Zanussi
Beko

Random branded value rubbish i,e Bush, Quisjhfjkfgm or fdjfjkfgklghk etc...

Do not even consider Hotpoint, Even their premium top of the range machines contain the basement low quality parts that will not stand the test of time.

Edited by: ".MUFC." 19th Dec 2012
Original Poster
Thanks for that mate.

All of the advice here really helped.

I'll wait until the new year to see if any decent offers appear on other washers, if not I'll go with the Beko:

google.co.uk/pro…log?q=9kg+washing+machine&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.ZG4&bpcl=40096503&biw=1366&bih=599&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=13127850200662503412&sa=X&ei=a_3QUN_HL8KL0AX9y4G4BA&ved=0CKABEPMCMAc#scoring=tps

Thanks again.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants