Which washing machine

Posted 25th Jun 2019
Hi guys

I've never purchased a washing machine before and was hoping somebody could give me some tips.

I need a 9kg, 1400rpm washer.
budget is £250 but am willing to stretch that slightly on your recommendation.

there are about 2 dozen machines within my budget on Google shopping but I don't know how to decide between them.

Which are the best brands?
there's some useful info on the "which?" website but I'm not a member.

I would be grateful for any advice.

kind regards

Mubs
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

27 Comments
There’s 2 ways to go about buying a washing machine, cheap as chips and hope it lasts (my last sub £200 Vestel made machine lasted 7 years) or pay more for something with a longer warranty, not sure if you’ll get 9KG and a long warranty for £250 though.
paulj4825/06/2019 17:21

There’s 2 ways to go about buying a washing machine, cheap as chips and h …There’s 2 ways to go about buying a washing machine, cheap as chips and hope it lasts (my last sub £200 Vestel made machine lasted 7 years) or pay more for something with a longer warranty, not sure if you’ll get 9KG and a long warranty for £250 though.

Yeah, good shout.
I have seen a 10 year parts warranty and 1 year labour on one washer.

Which are the brands I should look out for?
Mubs25/06/2019 17:30

Yeah, good shout.I have seen a 10 year parts warranty and 1 year labour on …Yeah, good shout.I have seen a 10 year parts warranty and 1 year labour on one washer.Which are the brands I should look out for?

That's a con as you'll find the labour call out rate will be over £100 to get your 'free' part fitted.

Bosch have a 2 year warranty and are usually quite reliable

LG and Samsung sometimes have 5 year warranty
paulj4825/06/2019 17:33

That's a con as you'll find the labour call out rate will be over £100 to …That's a con as you'll find the labour call out rate will be over £100 to get your 'free' part fitted.Bosch have a 2 year warranty and are usually quite reliableLG and Samsung sometimes have 5 year warranty

Aah right. Clever. I take it I can't take it to my local engineer for them to repair and the manufacturer sends me the parts?

LG, Bosch and Samsung take me way over budget.
Which budget brands should I look out for?
Edited by: "Mubs" 25th Jun 2019
Mubs25/06/2019 17:34

Aah right. Clever. I take it I can't take it to my local engineer for them …Aah right. Clever. I take it I can't take it to my local engineer for them to repair and the manufacturer sends me the parts?LG, Bosch and Samsung take me way over budget.Which budget brands should I look out for?

Out of the budget brands I’d personally go for Beko.
I've a Samsung at the moment because I had a bigger budget, but every cheap one I've ever had lasted five years and I've had all sorts of makes. The drum dropped on the hoover, the indesit started making holes in the clothes and the hotpoint just died. Have heard good things about beko but never had one.
Blomberg brand has five years parts and labour warranty. Got one last summer from a Euronics dealer and have been happy so far. It's 1400 spin, but i've read that that speed is only very marginally better than 1200.
Edited by: "terriclarkfan" 25th Jun 2019
Samsung ecobubble, but you'll need to look for offers for it to be anything near your price range. The good thing is with a 5 year parts and labour warranty you know you wont have to spend anything on it for at least 5 years unlike some of these machines that only have 1 year.
Aim a bit lower for capacity and get a Bosch (unless you have a large family you won't need a massive machine) for less than £300 you get a machine with a 10 year motor warranty on top of the usual warranty.
Only Which best buy below £250

Beko WTG741M1W
£242.00
70%

Next least expensive Which best buy

Bosch WAN24100GB
£299.99
72%
Edited by: "davewave" 25th Jun 2019
davewave25/06/2019 20:08

Only Which best buy below £250Beko WTG741M1W£242.0070%Next least expensive …Only Which best buy below £250Beko WTG741M1W£242.0070%Next least expensive Which best buyBosch WAN24100GB£299.9972%

£279 @ AO eBay with code
37935420-cZuRq.jpgThis is £279 with the 20% eBay code, it’s only 8kg but has a 2 year warranty.
Mubs25/06/2019 17:34

Aah right. Clever. I take it I can't take it to my local engineer for them …Aah right. Clever. I take it I can't take it to my local engineer for them to repair and the manufacturer sends me the parts?LG, Bosch and Samsung take me way over budget.Which budget brands should I look out for?

Ignore which best buys they until recently at least still recommend hotpoint even though they are unreliable. Reliability is not something they capture in the reviews.

Don’t fall for the free parts warranty as said it’s over £120 a call out or they will allow you to pay that per year. They won’t send parts out has to be their engineers.

These machines are cheap say £250 add £120 and that’s into a 5 year machine price range.

Go for a 5 year warranty, LG or Samsung’s are the normal ones that gave 5 year warranty. My preference would be LG after issues with two Samsung’s earlier in the year one lasted 2 washes we went back to LG which our last one had lasted 9 years.
Edited by: "eslick" 25th Jun 2019
devinn25/06/2019 22:53

9kg Beko washer for £199 with code …9kg Beko washer for £199 with code https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beko-WTG941B2W-A-Rated-9Kg-1400-RPM-Washing-Machine-White-New/292678342847?epid=21032463877&hash=item4424fd18bf:g:t50AAOSw3S5b1t4V

Good find that @devinn
devinn25/06/2019 22:53

9kg Beko washer for £199 with code …9kg Beko washer for £199 with code https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beko-WTG941B2W-A-Rated-9Kg-1400-RPM-Washing-Machine-White-New/292678342847?epid=21032463877&hash=item4424fd18bf:g:t50AAOSw3S5b1t4V

Thanks for the replys fellas.
If I don't get the missus a 9kg there's going to be trouble.

Great find there devinn. I was just about to click buy and then I saw the dimensions.
Its 64cm deep. I need it to be less than 60

What do you guys think about this one:

rover.ebay.com/rov…720

Is Candy a good brand?
Its nice and slim at 52cm depth and is 1600 rpm spin.
Its got some nice and gimmicky NFC features and good reviews.
Edited by: "Mubs" 25th Jun 2019
Remember you can make use of PayPal Credit if buying on eBay or places that use PP.

As usual with all credit type things as long as you don't stretch yourself its a good option :-)
I would go with a 9Kg Hoover for £250

Hoover and Candy are sister brands of the same company. There are other examples of the same machine for less depending on your particular wants and circumstances.
Hotpoint had mine just 12 months and going strong.
At my parents 10yrs+ still good.
At two rental places for 5yrs+ good as gold.
Hotpoint are crap......they are living off a good reputation they built for themselves about 30 years ago when you could rely on them.
Mubs25/06/2019 23:40

Thanks for the replys fellas.If I don't get the missus a 9kg there's going …Thanks for the replys fellas.If I don't get the missus a 9kg there's going to be trouble.Great find there devinn. I was just about to click buy and then I saw the dimensions.Its 64cm deep. I need it to be less than 60 What do you guys think about this one:rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F302838419720Is Candy a good brand?Its nice and slim at 52cm depth and is 1600 rpm spin.Its got some nice and gimmicky NFC features and good reviews.

No, Hoover/Candy are as bad, If not worse than Hotpoint/Indeshite.

Beko = Best budget/Value. LG = Best

Bosch are usually good, Miele good but expensive.
On the subject of Beko.......Blomberg are part of Beko and worth considering. Think they offer 3 years min warranty but when i was looking at dishwashers they had an offer of 5 year parts and warranty and their dishwasher was a which best buy.

Whether their washing machines are good and offer this type of warranty i've not looked into.
Mubs25/06/2019 17:30

Yeah, good shout.I have seen a 10 year parts warranty and 1 year labour on …Yeah, good shout.I have seen a 10 year parts warranty and 1 year labour on one washer.Which are the brands I should look out for?

10 years parts is a joke, I have it on tumble dryer, you have to use there repair men and the call out and labour more than cover the parts. Your better off with appliance cover £6 a month. Cover call out labour and parts. I’ve had 2 replaced what couldn’t be fixed at no extra cost.
m1keyp1key26/06/2019 13:21

On the subject of Beko.......Blomberg are part of Beko and worth …On the subject of Beko.......Blomberg are part of Beko and worth considering. Think they offer 3 years min warranty but when i was looking at dishwashers they had an offer of 5 year parts and warranty and their dishwasher was a which best buy.Whether their washing machines are good and offer this type of warranty i've not looked into.

Thanks for all the help thus far.

I have a problem with beko.
All of their models are 64cm deep according to their website.

This is a deal breaker for me.

Blomberg don't have any 9kg within budget.

What are my next best options?

I need a machine that gives me variable spin as I want to run quick washes at max rpm

Many thanks

Mubs
Mubs27/06/2019 16:05

Thanks for all the help thus far.I have a problem with beko.All of their …Thanks for all the help thus far.I have a problem with beko.All of their models are 64cm deep according to their website.:(This is a deal breaker for me.Blomberg don't have any 9kg within budget.What are my next best options?I need a machine that gives me variable spin as I want to run quick washes at max rpmMany thanksMubs

Even my samsung doesnt do that. If i run a quickwash it's 15mins on a default of 800. Then afterwards i'd have to select a fast spin setting.

To be fair though the samsung on a quickwash on a nice day like today stuff can go on the line and come in and go staight in the airing cupboard.

In winter if i run a quickwash on 800 then it goes on the heated airer overnight and then in the airing cupboard.
Edited by: "m1keyp1key" 27th Jun 2019
m1keyp1key27/06/2019 17:10

Even my samsung doesnt do that. If i run a quickwash it's 15mins on a …Even my samsung doesnt do that. If i run a quickwash it's 15mins on a default of 800. Then afterwards i'd have to select a fast spin setting. To be fair though the samsung on a quickwash on a nice day like today stuff can go on the line and come in and go staight in the airing cupboard.In winter if i run a quickwash on 800 then it goes on the heated airer overnight and then in the airing cupboard.

Cheers buddy.
The beko's that I've seen do have this option.
Shame about the depth being so chunky
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants