GIGABYTE RADEON HD 5770 - 1 GB GDDR5 ---------- for £115

pixmania.co.uk/uk/…tml

...and why?

Many thanks!

15 Comments

What mobo you using?

Banned

I'd choose nVidia

They are models with aftermarket coolers. Couldn't say which is best without seeing some temperature comparisons.

Personally I would go for the Sapphire Vapor-X as I have seen evidence that it performs slightly better than a standard 5770 (£124.90)
    pixmania.co.uk/uk/…oui

Indeed that was my choice until I decided to bite the bullet and get a 5850 instead

Original Poster

MBeeching;7823269

They are models with aftermarket coolers. Couldn't say which is best … They are models with aftermarket coolers. Couldn't say which is best without seeing some temperature comparisons.Personally I would go for the Sapphire Vapor-X as I have seen evidence that it performs slightly better than a standard 5770 (£124.90)http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/4209906/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-5770-vapor-x-1.html?srcid=369&Partenaire=affiliatewindow&CodePromo=ouiIndeed that was my choice until I decided to bite the bullet and get a 5850 instead

Thanks for the advice!

MBeeching;7823269

They are models with aftermarket coolers. Couldn't say which is best … They are models with aftermarket coolers. Couldn't say which is best without seeing some temperature comparisons.Personally I would go for the Sapphire Vapor-X as I have seen evidence that it performs slightly better than a standard 5770 (£124.90)http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/4209906/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-5770-vapor-x-1.html?srcid=369&Partenaire=affiliatewindow&CodePromo=ouiIndeed that was my choice until I decided to bite the bullet and get a 5850 instead

MBeeching is correct for the extra £5 or so quid may as well go for the Sapphire had so many sapphire cards never had one fail and always good temperatures.

Original Poster

Adam2050;7823188

What mobo you using?

I'm pretty sure I will go for a basic GA-P55m-UD2... is it a good idea to choose same brand mobo/graphics?

Frukoz;7823306

I'm pretty sure I will go for a basic GA-P55m-UD2... is it a good idea to … I'm pretty sure I will go for a basic GA-P55m-UD2... is it a good idea to choose same brand mobo/graphics?

With MSI I've seen a lot of conflicts, Gigabyte would be the first choice if you were to only choose one of them two, but personally and as Mbeeching has said the other would be a better choice.

I used this site a lot when I built my first computer last month. Doesn't cover every single retailer (Scan is noticeably absent), but very handy to get a feel for prices. skinflint.co.uk/?m=1

Actually bought most of my components on Scan's deal of the day. Citylink must have got sick of delivering to my address

If you use any of these you need to be sure that you case is well vented as these expel heat inside your PC which can heat up your harddrives and damage them ,If you have a small case you would be better with a reference design that expels heat out of the case,

tonyg1962;7823475

If you use any of these you need to be sure that you case is well vented … If you use any of these you need to be sure that you case is well vented as these expel heat inside your PC which can heat up your harddrives and damage them ,If you have a small case you would be better with a reference design that expels heat out of the case,

Good point. But I am surprised how little heat is coming out of the rear vents on my 5850. Temps are Typical: 30º / Max: 60º

Original Poster

Well, called up Pixmania and they are out of stock for the two cheaper cards (although they obviously didnt feel like updating their website)... They do have the Sapphire one so I reckon Ill go for that.

I'm thinking of buying a very basic Mid tower case, probably a coolermaster.

I'm only a light gamer but will use this a lot for media... do you really think I will have major problems with over heating?

Also, cheers for the SkinFlint Link, didnt know about this site, but looks very useful.

Here is the build im looking at:

-Cooler Master Elite 334
    -Corsair TX 650W OR ]OCZ Stealth XStream 600W
    -Core i5 750
    -Samsung SATA II F3 1TB
    -Ati Radeon HD 5770 (Looking like the Sapphire Vapour-X)
    -GA-P55M-UD2 motherboard
    -4GB of whatever DDR3 is on offer
    -Samsung Syncmaster XL2370 LED Monitor

Any recommendations are hugely apprciated! :-D

I went for:

Lian Li PC-V351 small form factor case - £81
    Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4 -£116
    Intel Core i5 750 - £145
    4GB Corsair (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 XMS3 - £84
    Seasonic X-650 (80plus Gold rated: 90% efficient) Modular PSU - £111
    XFX ATI 5850 XXX Edition - £235
    500gb Samsung F3 - £35
    Logitech G110 Keyboard - £52
    Windows 7 Premium - £50
    22" Benq G2222HDL Monitor - £118
    Logitech Z-10 Speakers - £35

No heat problems, with a smaller case and higher spec graphic card than you're aiming for. The i5 platform and ATI 5 series are good as they are much more energy efficient and generate less heat than previous generation hardware.

MBeeching;7824427

I went for:Lian Li PC-V351 small form factor case - £81Gigabyte … I went for:Lian Li PC-V351 small form factor case - £81Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4 -£116 Intel Core i5 750 - £1454GB Corsair (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 XMS3 - £84Seasonic X-650 (80plus Gold rated: 90% efficient) Modular PSU - £111XFX ATI 5850 XXX Edition - £235500gb Samsung F3 - £35Logitech G110 Keyboard - £52Windows 7 Premium - £5022" Benq G2222HDL Monitor - £118Logitech Z-10 Speakers - £35No heat problems, with a smaller case and higher spec graphic card than you're aiming for. The i5 platform and ATI 5 series are good as they are much more energy efficient and generate less heat than previous generation hardware.

Considering the rest of the PC i probably would have opted for 8GB, may i ask why not? Or was it purely price? I have a lower spec pc compared to you, but opted for 8gb:
    AMD Athlon II X3 435 2.9GHz
    XFX 4870 1GB GDDR5
    Kingston 8GB (4x2gb) DDR3 1333Mhz

On the heat issue, I dont suffer from it due to 4870 has an external vent. Although the rest of my PC runs really cool, the 4870 does run hot naturally though.

Was tempted to buy this one from overclockers.co.uk , they will have new stock in this coming Monday, but part of me wants to wait until the new Nvidia cards come out, hopefully same pricing levels at ATI, we will see.

]http//ww…-XF
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial1219
      2. Are these two things distinctly different to you?2487
      3. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1117
      4. So, whose already pre-ordered a Scorpio and where from?917

See more discussions