Which would you get - Samsung Galaxy S or HTC Desire HD??

Found 4th Jan 2011
My contract has run out and im looking at getting either the DHD or the Galaxy.

Love the Super AMOLED screen on Galaxy it really is by far the best looking.

But love the bigger screen, and better personalisation on HTC.

Hate the fact the Galaxy has no flash (i mean whats that all about?!) and the Facebook sync is supposed to be shoddy.

Hate the fact the battery life is so shocking on HTC.

But, which is better - cue Harry Hill -

25 Comments

SGS all the way

I have an iphone 4, my daughter has the dhd, the htc is the better phone!
Just don't tell her I admitted it : )

Original Poster

kev_u8701r

SGS all the way

yes but why?

Original Poster

triops

I have an iphone 4, my daughter has the dhd, the htc is the better … I have an iphone 4, my daughter has the dhd, the htc is the better phone!Just don't tell her I admitted it : )

again why?

Banned

It wouldnt be be fair for me to say which is better (as I have no knowledge on the HD desire - though I didnt think much of the Desire!)

But I still love my Samsung Galaxy S 5 months on!

i've had abit of a play with the desire hd and i have decided it will be my next phone

the desire.

Simple fact is the build quality is higher on the desire and there is more after market support available for the HTC.. Samsung have a nasty habit of bailing support on their old devices.

Battery isnt shoddy. You have to accep that you will get a days battery from any of these phones and you WILL need to charge them every night (unless you are frequently turning the radio off)

They are powerful devices that need to come at a price point and a form factor. which are the factor that keep the battery size smaller than people would want. but more than adequate for every day use.

Facebook will be the same, unless you are referring to facebook intergration into the UI. in which case the desire wins by miles.
Edited by: "Jetpac" 4th Jan 2011

Original Poster

Jetpac

the desire.Battery isnt shoddy. You have to accep that you will get a … the desire.Battery isnt shoddy. You have to accep that you will get a days battery from any of these phones and you WILL need to charge them every night (unless you are frequently turning the radio off)

Well i've decided that if i do get the desire i'll just buy an extra battery off ebay for about £7 and keep in in my handbag

Original Poster

Jetpac

Facebook will be the same, unless you are referring to facebook … Facebook will be the same, unless you are referring to facebook intergration into the UI. in which case the desire wins by miles.

What i meant (or what i think ive read on techradar) is the sync between phone book and facebook. Also there is a bug on the sammy that duplicates all contacts from sim card that u cant delete.

I just love the colour and screen on the Galaxy - why cant the DHD have the AMOLED screen? - argh!

Standard Desire here (amazing phone !) looked at the HD its just a little to large for my liking

Original Poster

zermattbusby

Standard Desire here (amazing phone !) looked at the HD its just a little … Standard Desire here (amazing phone !) looked at the HD its just a little to large for my liking

Standard desire has got an AMOLED screen too hasn't it?

Desire HD of the two. Though use my Nokia 5800 when I go out on the lash and find myself using it the next day. Just cant text with one hand with the Desire HD and my thumb just doesn't reach across the phone. The LG optimus 2x is due out soon, while it will be expensive it's specs look superb.

amoled but not super amoled there is a difference especially in sunlight

Banned

Supalynz

Standard desire has got an AMOLED screen too hasn't it?

The screen on the (standard) desire is pants. Take it out in sunlight and you cant even see whats on the screen. I had one for 3 weeks and swapped it for the galaxy s. Its streets ahead. (Dunno about the HD as I said earlier.)

guv

The screen on the (standard) desire is pants. Take it out in sunlight and … The screen on the (standard) desire is pants. Take it out in sunlight and you cant even see whats on the screen. I had one for 3 weeks and swapped it for the galaxy s. Its streets ahead. (Dunno about the HD as I said earlier.)

That was probably the revised one. The original Desire had AMOLED and they changed to SLCD. They both have benefits and drawbacks.

Original Poster

Well gone for the DHD, found a good deal too
hotukdeals.com/dea…47/

Thanks for all you comments guys

Edited by: "Supalynz" 4th Jan 2011

desire hd have poor battery life.

seancsc

desire hd have poor battery life.

as already mentioned by the OP in the OP!!

Original Poster

fern37

as already mentioned by the OP in the OP!!

Lol, thanks, was hoping for some constructive feedback - as you said i already know it has a bad battery.

htc batterys need to be so called "calibrated" over a few days
i have a desire(not hd) and it only lasted 16-20 hours first few days but since then i have last upto 60 hours

Original Poster

StevenBrown

htc batterys need to be so called "calibrated" over a few daysi have a … htc batterys need to be so called "calibrated" over a few daysi have a desire(not hd) and it only lasted 16-20 hours first few days but since then i have last upto 60 hours

So how would you suggest i 'calibrate'?

Supalynz

Keep it turned off turn it on once in 3 days for 1 minute call works every time

Banned

dcx_badass

Not used the Galaxy X, but the Desire HD is a fantastic phone.

Galaxy X is a dodgy scammer! X)

Google jumped from HTC to Samsung when making the new Nexus S, which is technically the Samsung Galaxy S which a few tweaks, but a pure OS.

Given the Super AMOLED which I have compared to my Desire AMOLED is alot nicer, without a doubt, Samsung Galaxy S wins
Bear in mind I believe within a few months something nicer will be around which is what I'm waiting for.

Supalynz

Full charge cycles.
It takes a week or 2 for the battery to be leveled out.

Charge then drain the battery fully, so the phone powers off.
turn it on and use up anything extra to the point where it wont turn on.

Charge it up without it powered on until green light and repeat the above process a few times.

I have the original desire and the battery was poor to begin with, however now i get over a day out of it. It will also appear poorer to begin with because you wll be using all the bells and whistles all the time.

Best thing you can do is search online (or on here) for improving HTC battery life.
Dont use task killers
look at using something like Locale to manage profiles.

you wont need an extra battery.
Post a comment
@
    Text