Which Xiaomi Phone?

Found 1st AugEdited by:"khal-ab"
Hi
I am looking for a new phone and after reading many discussions on HUKD, I have settled on a Xiaomi. But I can't decide which one, so I am hoping you guys can give me some advice.

I like the Mi A2 lite, but it still isn't available on Amazon (I would prefer to order through Amazon). The Mi A1 has far too high radiation levels.

I need a phone fairly quickly, my old one had died and I am using an old backup, so now I have been considering one of the Redmi models, although I am slightly put off by the larger screens. After reading discussions on here, I understand that the Redmi Note 5 is the better option out of the Redmi range. How comparable is this phone to the new Mi A2? And would anyone suggest any other model?

My budget is around £200.

Thank you in advance for your help and input.
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
You would be happy with either as Xiaomi make great phones.
The A2 Lite with 4/64GB in on sale here for £158, which seems a great deal
The radiation levels for A1 is confusing, just a quick Google showed some people claiming it was 1.76, others around 1.2.
Sandy10122 h, 51 m ago

You would be happy with either as Xiaomi make great phones. The A2 Lite …You would be happy with either as Xiaomi make great phones. The A2 Lite with 4/64GB in on sale here for £158, which seems a great deal

Thanks for the offer link. I would prefer to buy from either ebay or Amazon UK sellers, even if I have to pay a bit more.

I have not been able to find the Redmi Note 5 that comes with a UK charger. Will using a different charger affect the charging performance?
Iv ordered 9 or10 Xiaomi phones from aliexpress/china and the chargers that come with them are the EU type - all sellers included an extra UK adapter and it works fine. You can get a superfast charger for £5-£7, so dont base your decision on the charger.
Buying xiaomi from the UK usually cost alot more i.e redmi 5 plus 3/32GB is £148 supplied by amazon and just £100 on aliexpress (plus possible £12 fee, iv only ever paid this twice)
Sandy10125 m ago

Iv ordered 9 or10 Xiaomi phones from aliexpress/china and the chargers …Iv ordered 9 or10 Xiaomi phones from aliexpress/china and the chargers that come with them are the EU type - all sellers included an extra UK adapter and it works fine. You can get a superfast charger for £5-£7, so dont base your decision on the charger.Buying xiaomi from the UK usually cost alot more i.e redmi 5 plus 3/32GB is £148 supplied by amazon and just £100 on aliexpress (plus possible £12 fee, iv only ever paid this twice)

I am also concerned about the warranty when buying from AliExpress, gearbest etc. Amazon and Ebay make it so much easier if anything goes wrong.

A question about the Redmi interface- I understand it is MIUI. What does this mean? Can I still use Google Play and use Google apps on it? It is just a different interface?
Yes MUI is just an android skin/interface with all the same functions, all the google apps and appstore etc. I was also very initially sceptical about ordering phones from china, but with so many people on this site ordering i took the chance and never looked back. Iv never need warranty and nobody in family has had a problem with any of the different models.

Iv ordered from gearbest and eglobal before, but generally aliexpress is my prefered place to order Xiaomi from as delivery is always tracked and seller is not paid until item is delivered and you have confirmed your satisfaction with the item. As its a marketplace with different sellers, customer service is alot better.
They also have a very decent resolution process similar to ebay if anything is wrong, in my experience they are the best place to order from and generally the cheapest or thereabout.
The A2 is a fair bit better than the Note 5, snapdragon 660 vs 636. The note 5 is still great though and more powerful than the 625 based A1/A2 Lite/Note 4 (which I have and is fine) & 97 other xiaomi's with it.

I use aliexpress for mine, at the time you could pay £5-10 for a 1yr UK warranty which I did but that doesn't seem to be offered now. I'll keep this another year and Three are due to officially launch them at some point anyway.

MIUI is just an android skin. It's fairly good but no app drawer annoys me so I use Nova Launcher instead for my home screen.

Honk Kong models should include a UK plug but for some reason these never seem to make it as the models available here.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 1st Aug
Thank you everyone for the useful info. I've decided to go for the Redmi Note 5 from Amazon. I know I have paid way too much for it, but I need it asap and not quite ready yet to venture into Aliexpress.
Sandy101221 h, 2 m ago

Iv ordered 9 or10 Xiaomi phones from aliexpress/china and the chargers …Iv ordered 9 or10 Xiaomi phones from aliexpress/china and the chargers that come with them are the EU type - all sellers included an extra UK adapter and it works fine. You can get a superfast charger for £5-£7, so dont base your decision on the charger.Buying xiaomi from the UK usually cost alot more i.e redmi 5 plus 3/32GB is £148 supplied by amazon and just £100 on aliexpress (plus possible £12 fee, iv only ever paid this twice)

I bought a Redmi Note 5 just a couple of days ago from Amazon, came without a UK charger as I expected it would. I contacted Amazon chat and explained that it is a legal requirement to supply a UK charger or adaptor.....Straight away they asked me to find a Compatible charger on amazon and give them the link and they would give me an account credit to cover the cost.

I ordered this charger amazon.co.uk/Spi…8/r

Happy with that result.....

BTW the Note 5 is very good. Only downsides I would say are MicroUSB not USB-C and only a single colour LED notification light.
I went for the Note 5 over the A2 as I wanted the larger battery of the Note 5
Edited by: "Uridium" 2nd Aug
Uridium2 h, 34 m ago

I bought a Redmi Note 5 just a couple of days ago from Amazon, came …I bought a Redmi Note 5 just a couple of days ago from Amazon, came without a UK charger as I expected it would. I contacted Amazon chat and explained that it is a legal requirement to supply a UK charger or adaptor.....Straight away they asked me to find a Compatible charger on amazon and give them the link and they would give me an account credit to cover the cost.I ordered this charger https://amazon.co.uk/Spigen-Essential-Intelligent-Technology-Smartphone/dp/B075V42TN8/rHappy with that result.....BTW the Note 5 is very good. Only downsides I would say are MicroUSB not USB-C and only a single colour LED notification light.I went for the Note 5 over the A2 as I wanted the larger battery of the Note 5

Thank you so much for the info. I will keep that in mind in case I don't receive a UK charger with the phone. Btw, I think the Note 5 is fast-charge, so if I only receive a standard UK 3 -pin plug, can I ask them to send a fast charger like the link you sent? Or is a legal requirement that they only have to supply any charger, it does not have to comply with the phone specs?

I feel a lot more reassured now that i made the right choice with the Note 5 over the A2. It should arrive by the weekend- can't wait!
I bought a Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 from eglobal, about £162 delivered within 10 days of order a couple of weeks ago.

It's the Pro version 4/64GB with the better dual camera, works on all UK mob networks (incl. band 20), has the larger battery and Qualcomm 636 processor. It came with UK adapter on the plug and included gel case.
Paid by credit card to ensure cover if anything goes wron and there#s a warranty issue, and eglobal delivers from EU source so there is no duty/VAT liability on the purchaser.

Very pleased with it, wouldn't hesitate to buy again.
khal-ab7 h, 35 m ago

Thank you so much for the info. I will keep that in mind in case I don't …Thank you so much for the info. I will keep that in mind in case I don't receive a UK charger with the phone. Btw, I think the Note 5 is fast-charge, so if I only receive a standard UK 3 -pin plug, can I ask them to send a fast charger like the link you sent? Or is a legal requirement that they only have to supply any charger, it does not have to comply with the phone specs?I feel a lot more reassured now that i made the right choice with the Note 5 over the A2. It should arrive by the weekend- can't wait!

I believe the requirement is a working charger or adaptor. I just picked one from amazon that happened to be quick charge
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/gov…pdf
I paid £199 from Amazon for the dual camera 4/64 version. yeah £40 more than the chinese sellers like gearbest etc...but after having 2x phones die that were purchased from Chinese website I couldn't be doing with the grief again.

It was delivered next day and I know that should I have any issue I can get an immediate no questions refund from Amazon.

I had a 4mth old £200 phone overheat when charging on Monday, I was using the factory supplied charger and cable and it got so hot it melted the USB connector in the phone and it was fused to the charging cable when I unplugged it. Thank god it was charging overnight while I slept. This was a Gearbest supplied handset. They have finally agreed to refund me but I still have to ship the phone back to Spain at my own expense....
Edited by: "Uridium" 2nd Aug
Uridium12 h, 51 m ago

I believe the requirement is a working charger or adaptor. I just picked …I believe the requirement is a working charger or adaptor. I just picked one from amazon that happened to be quick charge https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/294047/07-615-product-standards-electrical-equipment-plugs-sockets-guidance-notes.pdfI paid £199 from Amazon for the dual camera 4/64 version. yeah £40 more than the chinese sellers like gearbest etc...but after having 2x phones die that were purchased from Chinese website I couldn't be doing with the grief again.It was delivered next day and I know that should I have any issue I can get an immediate no questions refund from Amazon.I had a 4mth old £200 phone overheat when charging on Monday, I was using the factory supplied charger and cable and it got so hot it melted the USB connector in the phone and it was fused to the charging cable when I unplugged it. Thank god it was charging overnight while I slept. This was a Gearbest supplied handset. They have finally agreed to refund me but I still have to ship the phone back to Spain at my own expense....

Thanks for sending the link, I'll quote it if needed. I should receive the phone tomorrow so then I'll know if it comes with a UK charger or not. I also paid £200 for my phone from Amazon, the same version as yours and for the same reasons that you gave. My previous phone was a generic Chinese brand that died, but as I had bought through Amazon, they refunded my money no questions asked, even though it had been over a year since purchase. Hence I was not too bothered about spending a bit more on this new phone as I used the refund money to pay for some of it, and I have the peace of mind that I can send it back very easily if needed.

Once I receive it and check it over, I will most likely order the same one for my husband as we both had the same phone and I expect his to die very soon too! He doesn't want to spend as much so I might try Ebay, where I saw one for £170 from a UK seller. (Update: I just bought that phone from ebay for £153 using the 10% discount code that is valid for today only! I couldn't resist a bargain and reading all of the positive reviews on here, I'm sure the phone should be great)
Edited by: "khal-ab" 3rd Aug
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants