Groups

Whisky help required - what shall i buy him???

Good morning all

My manager is leaving work today and he drinks single malt whisky and i'm going to treat him to a bottle for xmas, i've got a £20 budget and will be nipping into Tesco on my lunch but i haven't got a clue what whisky is good / bad?? Please can you let me know which you'd prefer for the list below?

The Glenlivet 12 Year Old Malt Whisky 70Cl
    Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Malt Whisky 70Cl
    Isle Of Jura Malt Whisky 70Cl
    Glenfiddich 12Yo Malt 70Cl

All help will be gratefully received

Thanks

Neil

29 Comments

Never heard of any of them x

Original Poster

i don't even drink whisky but i've heard of all of the ones i've listed lol

Isle of Jura... Might be a bit strong [flavour wise] but it's one of my Father's faves...

Original Poster

cheers men, one vote each of the Jura and Glenlivet

all of them are good, the Jura would be my choice

not a whisky drinker but a bought a bottle for someone the other day and they wanted Bush Mills

Glenmorangie for me

Yep Glenmorangie is a good bet!

Original Poster

Glenmorangie is looking like a good bet, thanks for all your help guys

Neil

All those on your list are good to give as a gift, but Jura is a bit of an acquired taste for some people.

Banned

Glenmorangie is the tipple of choice for my old man, used to be Glenfiddich.

My Father in law is the same, I struggled with what to get him, so went for the Glenmorangie from the advice of a man in the store!

My Dad mixes his whiskey so I can get him Bells, grants or any of them x

All of them are good, though the Glenfiddich is a bit pedestrian. If you're ever unsure, go by the colour - the better a whisky is, the further it is from the regular mid-tone whisky shade. So a particularly light or dark colour will tend to indicate a better whisky. It's not always accurate, but it's a pretty good rule of thumb

I know you said single malt but if he likes Jack Daniels I would recommend the 'Gentleman Jack' at the moment is £20 in tesco really is nice (but that depends on if he likes JD to start with) Its something a little different to the run of the mill Single Malts you listed.

I like Monkey Shoulder. It's very smooth and distinctive and every whisky drinker I have given it to has loved it. It's available in most supermarkets.

4leafed

I like Monkey Shoulder. It's very smooth and distinctive and every whisky … I like Monkey Shoulder. It's very smooth and distinctive and every whisky drinker I have given it to has loved it. It's available in most supermarkets.

Yup another good 'different' choice, I believe the master blender of Balvenie had a hand in the Monkey shoulder blending. A nice whiskey.

Very difficult - as malts have very different flavour notes dependant on where they're made - some are peat-driven - and a lot of malt drinkers really don't like that.

Is there any way you could find out what he normally drinks?

Sir Alex Ferguson doesn't care as long as it's wet.

Shouldn't your manager be buying you a bottle?

Jura is probably the best on the list.

Bushmills

Goonieman

Shouldn't your manager be buying you a bottle?

Why? The manager is the persson leaving.

Oh aye just re-read that bit! Doh!

If it were me (the manager, as if) I'd be a bit more impressed and excited by receiving an unknown and untried bottle, otherwise it just becomes another bottle of Glenfiddich in the cupboard. he may look forward to trying an unknown but fairly expensive bottle too. May make you look like you know your malts too rather than going with the obvious.

OP, If your manager is leaving surely its time to stop licking his bottom!

Original Poster

transit

OP, If your manager is leaving surely its time to stop licking his bottom!

to be honest he's more like a friend, been working with him for 14 years since i was 16. I've just been and bought the Glenmorangie

Thanks everyone for your advice

Glenmorangie 10 Year Old Malt Whisky all the way.
    Last month asda was selling them for 2 for £29.99

Ditto with Glenmorangie - I don't drink either but when serving it to friends and family...smells like a "proper" whisky and they liked it....but good old chivas regal or lepfraigh think its called.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764205
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?31136
      3. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio33
      4. What do these 2 men have in common69

See more discussions