White LED side lights

Found 25th Jan 2012
Community Updates
Misc
17 Comments
Banned
Who cares, don't let the law stop you from doing things that you want to do.

Within reason of course
not
defo not and u can be fined too as per my poor nephew
White are legal, other colours are illegal.
Edited by: "PraxxtorCruel" 25th Jan 2012
Original Poster
PraxxtorCruel

White are legal, other colours are illegal.

That's what I thought.

Confused oO
LED bulbs to replace incandescent ones are technically illegal to be used on the road, as they are not e-marked (they have to be of the same type as those being replaced which LED's aren't). Only a really ar**y copper would do you for LED's that looked white (unless they could be interpreted as blue). You can get whiter upgraded legal bulbs like the Philips Bluevision and Osram Hyper Cool Blue. Ebay usually has them for the best price on the net.

Guessing the OP has LED sidelights and has been pulled by BIB. If this is the case, sorry to say your bulbs are illegal - pay the fine/get the vehicle rectification notice sorted at an MOT test centre.
my white led sidelights have passed 2 MOT's
Mot is different. If they're white they pass. Mot testers can't remove anything to inspect the particulars.

Construction and use legislation is different
Banned
Do you mean white bulbs or white lenses?

Bulbs should be orange, lenses are ok to be white
Aren't most new Audi's made with white sidelights?
Banned
day light running lights are going to be made a legal requirement on all new cars, LEDs are legal.

"Following a wide public consultation, the Commission decided not to propose DRL on existing vehicles. As for new vehicles, however, Directive 2008/89/EC makes them mandatory (in the form of dedicated lights) as of 7 February 2011 for cars and light vans, as of 7 August 2012 for other vehicles."
Edited by: "lumoruk" 25th Jan 2012
^^^^^ white led lights ^^^^
Original Poster
anewman

LED bulbs to replace incandescent ones are technically illegal to be used … LED bulbs to replace incandescent ones are technically illegal to be used on the road, as they are not e-marked (they have to be of the same type as those being replaced which LED's aren't). Only a really ar**y copper would do you for LED's that looked white (unless they could be interpreted as blue). You can get whiter upgraded legal bulbs like the Philips Bluevision and Osram Hyper Cool Blue. Ebay usually has them for the best price on the net.Guessing the OP has LED sidelights and has been pulled by BIB. If this is the case, sorry to say your bulbs are illegal - pay the fine/get the vehicle rectification notice sorted at an MOT test centre.

Thanks for info.

No, I don't yet have LED lights just really pathetically dim side lights that I want to change.
Banned
You need to insure they don't have a hint of blue anything above 5k will have. Those ones are illegal.

The current legislation is for filament bulbs requiring E marking. LEDs aren't covered yet.
Edited by: "lumoruk" 25th Jan 2012
lumoruk

day light running lights are going to be made a legal requirement on all … day light running lights are going to be made a legal requirement on all new cars, LEDs are legal.

That's entirely different though, as they have European type approval (hence are E marked). Replacing an incandescent bulb with an LED one is technically illegal. LED DRL's are different to replaceable bulbs though. On DRL's there should be a specific E marking on the lens, although I forget the specific numbers - some coppers mistake them for fogs so if I had a car with them I'd learn off by heart what they mean in case I ever got pulled so I could have a little banter with the officer while knowing I'm fully legal. LED's on cars do require E marking.

cannyscot

Thanks for info.No, I don't yet have LED lights just really pathetically … Thanks for info.No, I don't yet have LED lights just really pathetically dim side lights that I want to change.

If you want to be 100% legal, coppers can't possibly touch - and if they try and it goes to court they can't possibly win, the best way is the upgrade bulbs mentioned by Osram and Phillips - they're a marked improvement on the standard bulbs. Halfords have their own blue tinted road legal side lights which glow whiter, but I found them rather carp compare with the Philips and Osram ones.

It's highly unlikely you'll get pulled though just for LED sidelights, so long as they appear white and could not be interpreted as blue.

Edited by: "anewman" 25th Jan 2012
Banned
do you drive a vauxhall nova?
Banned
csiman

do you drive a vauxhall nova?

saw one yesterday with LEDs on his number plate, he must have bought the cheapest going looked ****.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions