White noise machine/Sound system

Posted 23rd Oct
Hi,
Please could some kind people offer some advice or insight.

I'm looking for a device or some way of playing tracks/sound files for say about 8-10 hours at night.
It should be something that uses little electricity or something that is unlikely to mess up with continuious daily use.

I was looking at the white noise machines which have been designed to play contionusly during the night however most of these play simple noises.
I would like something similar but that allows me to play my own tracks/sound files.

I've never really been into music or listening to the radio so not sure if sound system are a good choice.
I've tried MP3 players and tablets and they mess up after a few months, I dont think they last long with nightly uses and daily charging.

Anyone with some good suggestions please?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

24 Comments
I have one of these ....

It’s called a wife
ashmac23/10/2019 22:36

I have one of these ....It’s called a wife

If she can sit up all night talking or reading from a book then send her over.
Is this to mask tinnitus?
I struggle to sleep in quiet room, I play “sleep sounds” through my Amazon echo dot, I use the airplane one which sounds like the inside sound of a plane
Barboo23/10/2019 22:47

I struggle to sleep in quiet room, I play “sleep sounds” through my Amazon …I struggle to sleep in quiet room, I play “sleep sounds” through my Amazon echo dot, I use the airplane one which sounds like the inside sound of a plane

I like the rain/storm ones
Why do your MP3 players "mess up after a few months"? Anyway it sounds like what you need is just a little micro hi-fi with cd to play a cd-r of your tracks on repeat play or an ac powered speaker with a 3.5mm jack in for a simple MP3 player. I'm sure you could even buy a cd of ambient noise or white noise and rip it to MP3, or as said above just use an Amazon Echo Dot and ask it to play a suitable sound.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 23rd Oct
Try having a fan running in the room, that should create some noise.
joeydeacon23/10/2019 22:46

Is this to mask tinnitus?

No, its to ease someone to sleep and keep them occupied if they wake up in the middle of the night.
Haircut_10023/10/2019 22:52

Why do your MP3 players "mess up after a few months"? Anyway it sounds …Why do your MP3 players "mess up after a few months"? Anyway it sounds like what you need is just a little hi-fi with cd to play a cd-r of your tracks on repeat play or an ac powered speaker with a 3.5mm jack in for a simple MP3 player. I'm sure you could even buy a cd of ambient noise or white noise and rip it to MP3.

If you continuously use a MP3 player all night and then charge it all day the batteries mess up. Most devices need some 'down time'. i.e. a time to cool down and stay cool

Thank you for the idea of the hi-fi system though, never had one so was unsure if it would be suitable.
Would a hi-fi system play a CD on repeat for 8 to 10 hours?
Edited by: "NuffinisFree" 23rd Oct
NuffinisFree23/10/2019 22:57

If you continuously use a MP3 player all night and then charge it all day …If you continuously use a MP3 player all night and then charge it all day the batteries mess up. Most devices need some 'down time'. i.e. a time to cool down and stay cool

How about just a little mains powered radio with an SD card/USB socket so it can play back your music files? These kind of devices are designed to be plugged in an on for long periods at a time. This was the first thing I found on a quick search but there will be hundreds of other things like it available.

amazon.co.uk/LLOYTRON-Vintage-Style-Bluetooth-Radio/dp/B07VMT9R1Q

Maybe even just a little clock radio with USB would be perfect.

argos.co.uk/pro…806
deeky23/10/2019 22:52

I like the rain/storm ones

Il give that a go tonight
Haircut_10023/10/2019 23:06

How about just a little mains powered radio with an SD card/USB socket so …How about just a little mains powered radio with an SD card/USB socket so it can play back your music files? These kind of devices are designed to be plugged in an on for long periods at a time. This was the first thing I found on a quick search but there will be hundreds of other things like it available.https://www.amazon.co.uk/LLOYTRON-Vintage-Style-Bluetooth-Radio/dp/B07VMT9R1Q

Thank you,
Yes something like this might be ok, that is if it can handle the size of the sound files.
p.s. what phrase did you google? I tried and got random stuff

Everyone else.....NO WHITE NOISE, please something to play actual sound files
Edited by: "NuffinisFree" 23rd Oct
NuffinisFree23/10/2019 23:11

Thank you,Yes something like this might be ok, that is if it can handle …Thank you,Yes something like this might be ok, that is if it can handle the size of the sound files.p.s. what phrase did you google? I tried and got random stuffEveryone else.....NO WHITE NOISE, please something to play actual sound files

I just searched both Amazon and Argos for "Radio with USB"
Haircut_10023/10/2019 23:35

I just searched both Amazon and Argos for "Radio with USB"

Thank you,
I dont know why i didnt think of it before?
Very easy to use, switch it on when you want to use it i.e. just before you go to bed, and then switch it off when you wake up.

I just hope they have the repeat function so the same tracks play all night.
I have a white noise app on my iPhone and iPad. There are lots of sounds - white noise, rain, birds, heartbeat etc etc. The sound plays for 8 hours, for free. Or for longer if you upgrade and pay.
NuffinisFree23/10/2019 22:46

If she can sit up all night talking or reading from a book then send her …If she can sit up all night talking or reading from a book then send her over.

I'm up now...can talk or read....up to you
Edited by: "tiggerloveslife" 24th Oct
cant u use ya phone and leave on charge what i do. or i put next to pillow on airplane mode
Edited by: "kevlfc" 24th Oct
I use my phone with bluetooth sleep phones. I have found Sleep With Me podcast to be the best for dozing off to.
I’ve got the £7 soundbar from Ebuyer fixed to my headboard with cable ties. A soundfile of 10 hours thunder, rain and wind I found on youtube. Play it on my phone with airplane mode on. Drains the battery by about 5%. Works a treat for me.

I used a program called clipgrab to download the audio. Tell it to save as mp3 and the file without the video was about 1Gb.
When my son was a baby we used an old tablet, downloaded a few clips then used an app to loop them continuously. Doesn't use too much battery so don't need to leave it plugged in overnight either. Worked fine.
There are a few apps that can play videos with the screen off on an android phone, link the phone to a Bluetooth speaker and play a YouTube video, many are 10 Hours long.
If it's for a baby or a small child then we use this for our son. Plays white noise and stops when he is sleeping and has an auto detection when he wakes up.

myhummy.co.uk/
Just use your phone. Lots of white noise apps available on Play Store.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants