Groups

Who are the BBC's biggest star earners? SHOCKING!

Well it's fair to say the TV LICENCE PAYER (That's YOU) are funding some pretty hefty salaries for people earning several times more than the PM (you know the person who runs a whole country and one of the biggest economies in the world).

Topping the list is MR Walkers crisps himself Gary Linekar at £1,800,000 a year for hosting a football show. Graham Norton on £1.200,000 for hosting the Graham Norton show of all things.

Fantastic breakdown in this video

youtube.com/wat…U4c

And the channel is well worth checking out to view all the doorstop threatening videos.

Just waiting for my friend Miles to pop up with his love of the BBC

69 Comments

Banned

Some people are happy to pay it, some aren't. A bit like the brexit vote, always a for and against. Unfortunately no matter how many times you try and put people off the BBC, NOTHING is going to change. I suggest you just get on with what else matters to you in life. There must be more than the BBC?

It's not a fantastic breakdown - it's a list without context.

Just to explain why that's important, let's take someone like Graham Norton who earns £1.2 million apparently. Now I quite like his show, I find it an entertaining take on the format.

But that show is sold around the world, from America to Scandinavia to Australia to India. Now beyond arguing that it's good promotion for Britain, don't these countries pay the BBC to broadcast these shows?

What you're not including is what this wage generates in income. You wouldn't do the same in business or sport - Jose Mourinho is paid a lot but if he wins the league or qualifies for the Champions League (thus generating greater income) then that's money well spent.

It's quite simple really.

Original Poster

MrScotchBonnet

Some people are happy to pay it, some aren't. A bit like the brexit vote, … Some people are happy to pay it, some aren't. A bit like the brexit vote, always a for and against. Unfortunately no matter how many times you try and put people off the BBC, NOTHING is going to change. I suggest you just get on with what else matters to you in life. There must be more than the BBC?

A world free of intimation and harassment, can you imagine some of these people earn more in 7 months than nurses will in their entire career. My problem is WHY would I want to pay the BBC to watch Sky?

MrScotchBonnet

Some people are happy to pay it, some aren't. A bit like the brexit vote, … Some people are happy to pay it, some aren't. A bit like the brexit vote, always a for and against. Unfortunately no matter how many times you try and put people off the BBC, NOTHING is going to change. I suggest you just get on with what else matters to you in life. There must be more than the BBC?

nothing is going to change? wow what a negative attitude.

Original Poster

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

It's not a fantastic breakdown - it's a list without context.Just to … It's not a fantastic breakdown - it's a list without context.Just to explain why that's important, let's take someone like Graham Norton who earns £1.2 million apparently. Now I quite like his show, I find it an entertaining take on the format.But that show is sold around the world, from America to Scandinavia to Australia to India. Now beyond arguing that it's good promotion for Britain, don't these countries pay the BBC to broadcast these shows? What you're not including is what this wage generates in income. You wouldn't do the same in business or sport - Jose Mourinho is paid a lot but if he wins the league or qualifies for the Champions League (thus generating greater income) then that's money well spent.It's quite simple really.

So why have a licence based system? Why not have the whole corporation based on subscription, people could then subscribe from around the world and you would have a potential audience of billions contributing, those who don't want or watch then don't pay for it and are free to watch other channels without being accused of committing an offence.

To be fair the Prime Minister and government decisions ends up costing us a lot more than the salaries of a few entertainers.

Original Poster

brendanhickey

LOL the Brexit vote did change things, that's what he missed.

Banned

brendanhickey

So Graham posting another thread is going to make the BBC pull the plug is it? This isn't a BBC referendum, they aren't going anywhere.

The BBC has to pay a competitive salary to keep or entice its talent. I'm not entirely sure how this is in any way shocking...
    Edited by: "RossD89" 15th Sep 2016

MrScotchBonnet

So Graham posting another thread is going to make the BBC pull the plug … So Graham posting another thread is going to make the BBC pull the plug is it? This isn't a BBC referendum, they aren't going anywhere.

They will if people stop paying the TV tax.

Banned

Graham1979

A world free of intimation and harassment, can you imagine some of these … A world free of intimation and harassment, can you imagine some of these people earn more in 7 months than nurses will in their entire career. My problem is WHY would I want to pay the BBC to watch Sky?

I hardly watch BBC shows. I would not have an issue if they were operating or not, I don't want to pay my TV license either, but you just have to accept it for what it is. Why worry about it?

Graham1979

So why have a licence based system? Why not have the whole corporation … So why have a licence based system? Why not have the whole corporation based on subscription, people could then subscribe from around the world and you would have a potential audience of billions contributing, those who don't want or watch then don't pay for it and are free to watch other channels without being accused of committing an offence.

We've moved on from the original point quickly. That was easy. X)

We have a licence fee because we recognise that the BBC is a valuable institution in this country for helping create and promote British culture.

You might not use it but you probably benefit in some small way from it, possibly by enjoying some form of entertainment created by someone who was nurtured by the BBC. Maybe you don't care about culture but you don't get to choose what taxes you pay for just like I don't. I have private health insurance but my taxes still go to the NHS and I don't begrudge that because I recognise what a valuable institution it is for this country as a whole.

Banned

stuarthanley

They will if people stop paying the TV tax.

But that's not going to happen.

MrScotchBonnet

But that's not going to happen.

It is slowly. More and more people are realising that it's not compulsory and are switching to on-demand services.
    The less money the BBC have to spend, the worse their programming will get and more people will switch off.

Banned

BBC pays £204m to keep Match of the Day as ITV declines to bid
    theguardian.com/foo…hts

The BBC has lost the contract to broadcast The Great British Bake Off, which will now be shown on Channel 4.
    BBC News understands the corporation offered Love Productions £15m per year to keep the show, but the company would not accept offers below £25m.

Bake Off was 2015's most-watched programme, with 15.1 million viewers for the final, according to consolidated figures which include catch-up viewing. It got an average audience of 13.4m people watching on the night it was broadcast.

MOTD averages around 4 million viewers.

Does seem a bit strange.

i like the bbc and think it's a great institution, i don't mind paying my tv licence, i use their radio services i watch their channels and thinks it's good value, when you go to another country and you see what their tv consisits of, i think its good quality, long live the bbc,
    i pay sky £25.00 a month to watch sky sports and all i watch is the football, i think that is a waste of money and when my subsciption is up in november i think i won't be renewing,
    Edited by: "waycash" 15th Sep 2016

Banned

Gary Lineker: I accept many people think my £2million BBC salary is too much
    mirror.co.uk/tv/…017

From 2014. At least he's honest (_;)

Banned

waycash

i like the bbc and think it's a great institution, i don't mind paying my … i like the bbc and think it's a great institution, i don't mind paying my tv licence, i use their radio services i watch their channels and thinks it's good value, when you go to another country and you see what their tv consisits of, i think its good quality, long live the bbc, i pay sky £25.00 a month to watch sky sports and all i watch is the football, i think that is a waste of money and when my subsciption is up in november i think i won't be renewing,

But that's the issue, you can cancel sky if you dont feel like you're getting your moneys worth.

stuarthanley

It is slowly. More and more people are realising that it's not … It is slowly. More and more people are realising that it's not compulsory and are switching to on-demand services. The less money the BBC have to spend, the worse their programming will get and more people will switch off.

But then where you will you get your news from, that you frequently post links to on this site?

hotukdeals.com/mis…798
    hotukdeals.com/mis…705
    hotukdeals.com/mis…355
    hotukdeals.com/mis…594
    hotukdeals.com/mis…201

FYI - the BBC News website is part of the BBC and is funded by the licence fee (or TV Tax as you call it).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3b/Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Edited by: "HotEnglishAndWelshDeals" 15th Sep 2016

Can't really see it as being as simple as stating some are happy to pay it and some aren't.

IMO the idea behind the BBC is advantageous to have as I do want impartial news and quality TV programming (which I don't really feel I get) but at present it would find it hard to justify these huge public funded pay packets especially as the BBC has cut various content, channels and radio stations as part of their 'cost cutting measures'.

Surely as their resin d'etre is to provide the nation with quality content should the first place they start not be with these headline salaries. I would feel it hard to argue that Gary Linekar is worth £1.8million or that news readers are worth more than £200K.

The BBC has been resting on their laurels for too long and I'm sure the disclosure of employees earning over £150K will make interesting reading.

MrScotchBonnet

But that's the issue, you can cancel sky if you dont feel like you're … But that's the issue, you can cancel sky if you dont feel like you're getting your moneys worth.

Do I get a rebate on the taxes I contributed to the NHS if I don't get ill? Can I get a gift voucher for HMV in exchange for not calling the police out in the last tax year? If I'm employed full-time, does the person who gets jobseekers allowance from my taxes have to give me a foot massage?

There are three things in life that are certain - death, taxes and people complaining about taxes.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

But then where you will you get your news from, that you frequently post … But then where you will you get your news from, that you frequently post links to on this site? http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/government-steps-training-unit-2442798http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/google-buys-your-medical-records-2441705http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/only-apple-agreed-help-2423355http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/refugee-camps-set-up-uk-2391594FYI - the BBC News website is part of the BBC and is funded by the licence fee (or TV Tax as you call it).

Other news outlets.
    Those examples are taken from an android app that collates dozens of news websites. If the BBC didn't report it, someone else would.

When people go private for their dentistry, health, kids' school etc they rarely whine about their taxes paying for public services for those who don't.

Why does a tax which you are able to opt out of get a worse rap?

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Do I get a rebate on the taxes I contributed to the NHS if I don't get … Do I get a rebate on the taxes I contributed to the NHS if I don't get ill? Can I get a gift voucher for HMV in exchange for not calling the police out in the last tax year? If I'm employed full-time, does the person who gets jobseekers allowance from my taxes have to give me a foot massage?There are three things in life that are certain - death, taxes and people complaining about taxes.

It's either a tax or it isn't. Make your mind up.

OP, I might disagree with you but at least when you post links to stuff it's not from the very service you're slating. X)X)

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

OP, I might disagree with you but at least when you post links to stuff … OP, I might disagree with you but at least when you post links to stuff it's not from the very service you're slating. X)X)

4 month and older posts. Well done.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

It's not a fantastic breakdown - it's a list without context.Just to … It's not a fantastic breakdown - it's a list without context.Just to explain why that's important, let's take someone like Graham Norton who earns £1.2 million apparently. Now I quite like his show, I find it an entertaining take on the format.But that show is sold around the world, from America to Scandinavia to Australia to India. Now beyond arguing that it's good promotion for Britain, don't these countries pay the BBC to broadcast these shows? What you're not including is what this wage generates in income. You wouldn't do the same in business or sport - Jose Mourinho is paid a lot but if he wins the league or qualifies for the Champions League (thus generating greater income) then that's money well spent.It's quite simple really.

Your point about income generated by these wastes of space is flawed. They get this money whether there's a downstream return or not. In the case of a football manager, he may well/probably get the heave, but by then, his pockets are full of cash and he'll get employed by some other gravy train whether he's worth it or not.

RossD89

The BBC has to pay a competitive salary to keep or entice its talent. I'm … The BBC has to pay a competitive salary to keep or entice its talent. I'm not entirely sure how this is in any way shocking...

As Yosser Hughes used to say"I can do that,Gis a job"
    (but for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOt less money).

qbs

Your point about income generated by these wastes of space is flawed. … Your point about income generated by these wastes of space is flawed. They get this money whether there's a downstream return or not. In the case of a football manager, he may well/probably get the heave, but by then, his pockets are full of cash and he'll get employed by some other gravy train whether he's worth it or not.

Your point is also flawed because it's a generalisation.

Let's take the Graham Norton example. The BBC knows what type of audience he can deliver based on past statistics so he'll be paid based on that. Similarly, Jose Mourinho is being paid based on the results he's got in the past (although bonuses will also apply).

Original Poster

MrScotchBonnet

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/14344682_668907706601146_8083967354089219276_n.png?oh=7de841dbb62aa6f549adce4c9a5b0513&oe=587A7C47[/img]

Oh don't forget Rolf Harris and that VERY NICE pension you're paying him and the rest!

Banned

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

We've moved on from the original point quickly. That was easy. X)We have … We've moved on from the original point quickly. That was easy. X)We have a licence fee because we recognise that the BBC is a valuable institution in this country for helping create and promote British culture. You might not use it but you probably benefit in some small way from it, possibly by enjoying some form of entertainment created by someone who was nurtured by the BBC. Maybe you don't care about culture but you don't get to choose what taxes you pay for just like I don't. I have private health insurance but my taxes still go to the NHS and I don't begrudge that because I recognise what a valuable institution it is for this country as a whole.

Is that the royal 'we'? What does that sentence mean? Is Graham Norton somehow 'British culture' now. I've read your sentence 6 times and can't make head nor tail of it.

cchopps

Is that the royal 'we'? What does that sentence mean? Is Graham Norton … Is that the royal 'we'? What does that sentence mean? Is Graham Norton somehow 'British culture' now. I've read your sentence 6 times and can't make head nor tail of it.

You can take that 'we' to be the British public as a whole or those who simply want to keep the BBC.

As for the rest of that sentence, I'm not sure I can re-word it to be honest. It reads perfectly and no-one else has an issue with it.

Graham Norton is part of British culture which will elicit some guffaws from some but is also true.

Again, I know the culture argument is perhaps hard for some but look back over the BBC's history and look at the performers, writers and behind the scenes staff that they've given starts to. It's hard to separate modern British arts and culture from the BBC.
    Edited by: "HotEnglishAndWelshDeals" 15th Sep 2016

Banned

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

You can take that 'we' to be the British public as a whole or those who … You can take that 'we' to be the British public as a whole or those who simply want to keep the BBC.As for the rest of that sentence, I'm not sure I can re-word it to be honest. It reads perfectly and no-one else has an issue with it.Graham Norton is part of British culture which will elicit some guffaws from some but is also true.Again, I know the culture argument is perhaps hard for some but look back over the BBC's history and look at the performers, writers and behind the scenes staff that they've given starts to. It's hard to separate modern British arts and culture from the BBC.

So is Simon Cowell a part of British culture which will elicit some guffaws from some?

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

You can take that 'we' to be the British public as a whole or those who … You can take that 'we' to be the British public as a whole or those who simply want to keep the BBC.As for the rest of that sentence, I'm not sure I can re-word it to be honest. It reads perfectly and no-one else has an issue with it.Graham Norton is part of British culture which will elicit some guffaws from some but is also true.Again, I know the culture argument is perhaps hard for some but look back over the BBC's history and look at the performers, writers and behind the scenes staff that they've given starts to. It's hard to separate modern British arts and culture from the BBC.

As you a lover of the BBC will you pay for my tv licence/tax please?

cchopps

So is Simon Cowell a part of British culture which will elicit some … So is Simon Cowell a part of British culture which will elicit some guffaws from some?

Yes.

landros1

As you a lover of the BBC will you pay for my tv licence/tax please?

No.

Banned

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Yes.No.

So now can we say.

We recognise that the ITV is a valuable institution in this country for helping create and promote British culture.

I'm sure you can work out who the 'we' is on this occasion.

cchopps

So now can we say.We recognise that the ITV is a valuable institution in … So now can we say.We recognise that the ITV is a valuable institution in this country for helping create and promote British culture.I'm sure you can work out who the 'we' is on this occasion.

You absolutely can say that - were you under the impression that I had said otherwise?

I would argue that it's cultural impact doesn't come close to the BBC's (especially on the world stage) but that's a personal view.

Banned

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

You absolutely can say that - were you under the impression that I had … You absolutely can say that - were you under the impression that I had said otherwise?I would argue that it's cultural impact doesn't come close to the BBC's (especially on the world stage) but that's a personal view.

I personally think both Graham Norton show and the X Factor are bother utter tat. However I would be quite sure that Simons Cowel's version of British culture (shudder - is that what you really believe) will be exported to a larger world arena than Graham Norton (again shudder to keep things balanced).

In a nutshell.

'We have a licence fee because we recognise that the BBC is a valuable institution in this country for helping create and promote British culture, is a complete pants thing to say and our little tête-à-tête clearly shows that.

Must dash.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?1116
      2. In-store receipt cashback - Shopitize, TopCashBack's 'Groceries', Quidco's …25101
      3. Sky Store £2 Voucher22
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767262

See more discussions