Who can I complain to about Groupon?

Found 28th Aug 2015
Last week somone hacked my groupon account and I received a confirmation email for a purchase I didn't make. I immediately called Groupon to let them know that I didn't place this order and was told the order would be cancelled, the fraud team would look into it and I would receive a refund after up to 5 working days.
After 5 working days I still hadn't had a refund so called up again. I was told that the order wasn't actually cancelled and that I shouldn't have been told I would get a refund as the fraud team had to contact me first. The advisor said that I had been sent an email from them and when I said I didn't receive anything he told me another email would be sent within 5 working days.
Surprise surprise today is day 5 and no email.
After the second call I phoned my bank to let them know about the fraudulent payment and was informed that the person actually tried two other larger purchases which were refused due to insufficient funds, groupon never mentioned this to me or sent me emails telling me payment was refused so I had no idea. The visa fraud team are looking into it but before they can force Groupon to refund me they need proof that groupon think the transaction was fraudulent. Any idea who I can complain about this to as I'm quite angry that the order wasn't cancelled straight away when I told them and also that they are dragging their feet over giving me a refund!

9 Comments

I'd contact Groupon 1 last time and if they don;t deal with it straight get back on at the bank telling them that you have contacted Groupon several times and they are yet to take any action as the fraud team have failed to contact you after 3 attaempt/ 2 weeks, that is not on!

trading standards? or maybe on groupon's twitter facebook pages? ir if not then i would see if you can write a offical letter to them in writing, by recorded post? try contacting them, if not then send a letter, if they dont respknd contact your bank again and speak to trading standards

See it from their side. Someone has phoned up and 'claimed' that their Groupon account was hacked. Now people use the term 'hacked' nowadays a too common. In reality what's probably happened is that you have inadvertently given your login details to someone via a phishing attack. They also probably get many people with buyers remorse and pretend it has happened.

So, Groupon need time to check and verify that your 'claims' are correct before they can / are able to issue a refund. Ultimately I am sure you will get your money back, in these circumstances ensure that you are polite, factual and persistent you'll likely get much more back from someone then as well.

If you did pay with a Credit Card you'll also have their protection as well so I wouldn't worry to much, assuming everything is above board you won't end up out of pocket.
Edited by: "ipswich78" 28th Aug 2015

Original Poster

ipswich78

See it from their side. Someone has phoned up and 'claimed' that their … See it from their side. Someone has phoned up and 'claimed' that their Groupon account was hacked. Now people use the term 'hacked' nowadays a too common. In reality what's probably happened is that you have inadvertently given your login details to someone via a phishing attack. They also probably get many people with buyers remorse and pretend it has happened.So, Groupon need time to check and verify that your 'claims' are correct before they can / are able to issue a refund. Ultimately I am sure you will get your money back, in these circumstances ensure that you are polite, factual and persistent you'll likely get much more back from someone then as well.If you did pay with a Credit Card you'll also have their protection as well so I wouldn't worry to much, assuming everything is above board you won't end up out of pocket.

Groupon have a 14 day cooling off/cancellation period so there would be need to lie about fraud to cancel as it was right after the order was placed.

I never click links from emails etc so I don't believe they got information via phishing.

Three weeks later and I am still without my money and Groupon are basically ignoring me. Excellent. It was a visa debit card that was used and unfortunately visa need Groupon to confirm that they think the transaction was fraudulent before they can force a refund.

I'd be kicking off at the bank, someone has stolen from your account does not matter what Groupon think, if Groupon think that it is not fraudulent they should take that upon with you

Original Poster

Dubplated

I'd be kicking off at the bank, someone has stolen from your account does … I'd be kicking off at the bank, someone has stolen from your account does not matter what Groupon think, if Groupon think that it is not fraudulent they should take that upon with you

The bank themselves were actually very helpful, informing me about the other attempted transactions that weren't allowed due to lack of funds Groupon never told me about that, and they also cancelled any ability for Groupon to try and take any more money. It's the Visa Fraud team who are wanting the evidence from Groupon. Total nightmare.

Still, would be nice to know if Groupon didn't respond within x amount of time then it would be dealt with anyway.

Original Poster

Dubplated

Still, would be nice to know if Groupon didn't respond within x amount of … Still, would be nice to know if Groupon didn't respond within x amount of time then it would be dealt with anyway.

Yeah definitely, at the moment it seems like they can get away with it unfortunately. Going to go into my bank tomorrow and see if speaking to someone face to face gets me anywhere.

Id call the police. After all its fraud. Then Groupon would have to get off their backside and do something.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions