Expired

Who does the washing line belong too?!?!

Found 17th May 2014
I moved in to a block of flats a few months ago (rented) There are 6 flats in our block - two flats on the ground floor, two on the 1st floor and two on the second. We are one of the ground floor flats. There are two washing lines at the back of us in the communal yard. I cant find information anywhere on who the two washing lines belong to! No washing has been put on either line since we moved in. My guess is there is one line for each ground floor flat and wanted to see if anyone is in a similar situation and knows anything about this. I rarely see the neighbours to ask and there is nothing in our tenancy agreement.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
  2. Washing
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Washing
21 Comments
When we bought our first flat(we were 2nd floor out of 4 high) there was a communal washing area. It was basically a free for all. 4 lines in a square. I ended up buying extra line to cross the middle of the square and a washing pole. In the summer if you weren't fast you were last!

Bloody cheek aswell considering I put new line out lol never used to leave the pole out though,it would have been swiped!

Maybe the same for you?
if its a communal back then it is first come basis.. generally try to not use it all but if no one is using it then get the washing out.. you may also find that people moan if it needs replacing but that can be done quick and cheap at poundshop...
Original Poster
Yes could be a first come type thing - ive bought a replacement line anyway as the old ones a little tatty just didn't want to put new line up then hang all my washing out for some crazy person to come and have a go!
TL:DR The Woman
as others have said, just because you're on ground floor don't assume you have rights to it
Communal ergo anybody can use them this said dont be surprised if washing goes missing
Original Poster
raptorcigs

TL:DR The Woman

Well don't comment then?!
Original Poster
arachnoid

Communal ergo anybody can use them this said dont be surprised if washing … Communal ergo anybody can use them this said dont be surprised if washing goes missing

Yes I thought this aswell - I think ill only be hanging it out when I know im at home for the day
Why dont you speak to the neighbours
allowed

Why dont you speak to the neighbours

Very few people talk to their neighbours nowadays - with the move-away (excuse the pun) from small communities and extended families living close by it is all too common for us never to see, let alone speak to our neighbours. The exceptions are the areas where families stay in the same area generation after generation ie the South Wales valleys, where neighbours know each other, watch out for them, shop for them, care for them.

My experience of washing lines in this situation are that some residents will use laundries so won't ever put washing out, others (single men) will get their mothers to wash and iron for them so feel free to replace the grotty line and use it whenever it's free of other's washing.
Bargainhuntersupreme

Very few people talk to their neighbours nowadays - with the move-away … Very few people talk to their neighbours nowadays - with the move-away (excuse the pun) from small communities and extended families living close by it is all too common for us never to see, let alone speak to our neighbours. The exceptions are the areas where families stay in the same area generation after generation ie the South Wales valleys, where neighbours know each other, watch out for them, shop for them, care for them.My experience of washing lines in this situation are that some residents will use laundries so won't ever put washing out, others (single men) will get their mothers to wash and iron for them so feel free to replace the grotty line and use it whenever it's free of other's washing.

Knock on their doors, ask them nicely, roberts your dads brother.
Bargainhuntersupreme

My experience of washing lines in this situation are that some residents … My experience of washing lines in this situation are that some residents will use laundries so won't ever put washing out, others (single men) will get their mothers to wash and iron for them so feel free to replace the grotty line and use it whenever it's free of other's washing.

With respect that sounds like a stereotypical statement to make. I am sure you didn't mean to infer that only single men of an indeterminate age will foist their washing onto others.....
hairyboxxox

With respect that sounds like a stereotypical statement to make. I am … With respect that sounds like a stereotypical statement to make. I am sure you didn't mean to infer that only single men of an indeterminate age will foist their washing onto others.....

i admire you're opinion of this obnoxious soul stating his pedantic view of a trivial matter, good on you sir.

Put a towel up.
Works for the Germans.
We used to live in an older flat with a communal back garden and it was just a case of whoever hung their washing out first. I always used my own clothes poles though.

Now we live in a modern flat with a back garden and it's actually against the title deeds to hang washing out! We bought a rotary (whirly) washing line and use it though, and then fold it down and bring it in after we've finished. A couple of complaints initially but those people moved and all has been harmonious ever since
tomdavidrichards

i admire you're opinion of this obnoxious soul stating his pedantic view … i admire you're opinion of this obnoxious soul stating his pedantic view of a trivial matter, good on you sir.

I appreciate some single men will do their washing and ironing but lets be honest here a great proportion of men still rely on mummy or girlfriend even to wash and iron for them. Once married most of them expect their wife to do it yet I bet no one would leap on me if I'd replaced 'mother' with 'wife' now would they?
Being in the communal area, it will be meant to be available for all occupants in the block. I would only ever hang out non personal stuff if I live in a communal block as the idea of my neighbours walking past me underwear and all me clothes doesn't sit well in my head.
Inb4 my g-string & thong have been stolen. X)
mutley1

Being in the communal area, it will be meant to be available for all … Being in the communal area, it will be meant to be available for all occupants in the block. I would only ever hang out non personal stuff if I live in a communal block as the idea of my neighbours walking past me underwear and all me clothes doesn't sit well in my head.

I wouldn't want to see your old manky y fronts either! That would be enough to traumatise anyone!!
takethatfan1978

I wouldn't want to see your old manky y fronts either! That would be … I wouldn't want to see your old manky y fronts either! That would be enough to traumatise anyone!!

Come now.. I'm sure the skid marks would've washed off.. (mostly)
LetoKynes

Come now.. I'm sure the skid marks would've washed off.. (mostly)

Well that depends you see,I can't see him shelling out for new scants unless they as cheap as you could get,will only be replaced if they are falling apart!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions