Groups

Who doesn't use pc security tools?

following on from a post where someone said they don't use anti virus software...

this is just a general reminder that these tools are essential for a internet pc / laptop

there are millions of vulnerabilities lieing about on the internet and not protecting your pc could result in some consequences..

i made a list in the thread about tools i recommend....

common guys do yourself a favour and protect yourself online

links in next post

27 Comments

Original Poster

takes 30 mins from your time to install some essential apps to protect your pc / laptop when online

avast.com/eng…tml - avast anti virus - FREE
    personalfirewall.comodo.com/ - comodo firewall - free
    ccleaner.com/ - ccleaner - free
    superantispyware.com/ - superanti spyware - free

using them tools will protect you online .... by not protecting yourself your leaving your laptop open to vuilnerabilities including malware... not all will be malicious but some will steal bank / cvard details / personal information or just break your laptop

for the price of well £0 you can protect yourself online ..... its suicide not to...

I know what you are referring to:) but you'd have to be a bit daft not to secure your computer.

Banned

faevilangel the new hotukdeals 'security consultant' lol

Can a computer virus be contagious?

lumoruk;5765196

:giggle:

i found that by installing all the apps didnt really make sense as i only get attacked about twice a day and they take up so much hd space, NOT,lol

Original Poster

lumoruk;5765196

you don't wanna know how many people tell me "my pc is slow", and their pc is full of crap cos they didnt have the tools securing the pc

PraxxtorCruel;5765208

Can a computer virus be contagious?

different viruses do different things... some are "contagious" and move around the os infecting different areas

Original Poster

wickedteen;5765213

i found that by installing all the apps didnt really make sense as i only … i found that by installing all the apps didnt really make sense as i only get attacked about twice a day and they take up so much hd space, NOT,lol

all of the tools i linked too are tiny in size... i have only comodo and avast running 24/7 and run the others regularly

Banned

faevilangel;5765228

you don't wanna know how many people tell me "my pc is slow", and their … you don't wanna know how many people tell me "my pc is slow", and their pc is full of crap cos they didnt have the tools securing the pcs

Yeah I know the feeling, but it's their own fault for looking at dodgy websites :whistling:

Original Poster

lumoruk;5765264

Yeah I know the feeling, but it's their own fault for looking at dodgy … Yeah I know the feeling, but it's their own fault for looking at dodgy websites :whistling:

ahahaha nah i find most of it is downloading programs/ films (illegally) that come with loads and loads of shat!

faevilangel;5765241

all of the tools i linked too are tiny in size... i have only comodo and … all of the tools i linked too are tiny in size... i have only comodo and avast running 24/7 and run the others regularly

+1

I only have my virus scanner running in the background, I run the others manually. I don't get any real viruses, just once-in-a-while a trojan. This is the same for the five computers in our house.

faevilangel;5765241

all of the tools i linked too are tiny in size... i have only comodo and … all of the tools i linked too are tiny in size... i have only comodo and avast running 24/7 and run the others regularly

what i put was a JOKE

Original Poster

Predikuesi;5765287

+1I only have my virus scanner running in the background, I run the … +1I only have my virus scanner running in the background, I run the others manually. I don't get any real viruses, just once-in-a-while a trojan. This is the same for the five computers in our house.

with avast, it has a access scanner and when opening websites it checks it.... i get it once in a blue moon tell me that the website has rogue code built in and warns me to close the page

wickedteen;5765297

what i put was a JOKE

i know :thumbsup: but someone people won't see it as a joke and i used your quote to mention that the programs are so tiny in size compared to other programs

i use avg as its free, but there is a full version with a crack file floating about

good post faevilangel :thumbsup:

Is the guy who doesn't use PC security me? If you want, for a giggle, I'll go and install Avast and Spybot right now.

Original Poster

no not you dxx, a post on here today

I only use avast, I don't bother with Anti-Spyware I got fed up with that many false positives and I never really got on with any of the interfaces.

But then again I have a pretty good grasp on PCs so am generally cautious anyway.

Good advice though none the less

faevilangel;5765576

no not you dxx, a post on here today

Oh, f'nuff. I've got Avast and Spybot running now anyway though, should be fun seeing if it turns anything useful up.

If you use internet banking, some banks require you to take "reasonable measures" to secure your pc, if your account gets raided or whatever because you don't have protection the bank may not cover all your losses....

Original Poster

i love avasts reboot search .... when you reboot your pc it will do a deep scan of the pc (like the windows bsod)

never used spybot myself, i use superantispyware and ccleaner

Original Poster

civms47;5765967

If you use internet banking, some banks require you to take "reasonable … If you use internet banking, some banks require you to take "reasonable measures" to secure your pc, if your account gets raided or whatever because you don't have protection the bank may not cover all your losses....

good info thanks :thumbsup:

its the same as your car? you lock your car so why not lock your pc! make it as secure as you can

"If you’re not protected and someone uses your computer to get passwords or access your bank account or other financial products, you could be liable. The Banking Code says banks should provide protection for consumers in cases where their accounts have been misused but also says you must:

“Use up-to-date anti-virus and spyware software and a personal firewall”

... then later

“If you act without reasonable care, and this causes losses, you may be responsible for them”

and specifically refers back to the bit about anti-virus.

While the burden of proof's on the bank to prove you didn’t act with care, it's best to be safe. For more on what to do if you think you've been defrauded read the ID Fraud protection guide."

Above taken from mse site, link here: moneysavingexpert.com/sho…are

Better safe than sorry!!!

civms47;5766300

"If you’re not protected and someone uses your computer to get passwords o … "If you’re not protected and someone uses your computer to get passwords or access your bank account or other financial products, you could be liable. The Banking Code says banks should provide protection for consumers in cases where their accounts have been misused but also says you must: “Use up-to-date anti-virus and spyware software and a personal firewall”... then later “If you act without reasonable care, and this causes losses, you may be responsible for them” and specifically refers back to the bit about anti-virus. While the burden of proof's on the bank to prove you didn’t act with care, it's best to be safe. For more on what to do if you think you've been defrauded read the ID Fraud protection guide."Above taken from mse site, link here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/free-anti-virus-softwareBetter safe than sorry!!!

All Very true, However recentley some SOB got my Credit card details, long story nothing to do with Internet or PCs, anyways the gits spent £3k.

Went through all the rigmorale of filling in fraud forms and speaking to people, what was interesting was when they asked what Antivirus software I used and I said 'None' the girl I was talking to gasped paused and asked me why, and I answered I do all my banking on my Apple Mac, her response was "Oh thats ok then thats excellent"

Made me chuckle though (don't start the Macs are immune arguement I am well aware they are not) Just found the response interesting

I'd highly recommend not using Internet Explorer and instead browse with an alternate browser, a lot of malware is aimed at IE therefore without it the malware can't even get the first steup into your system.

John

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;5766910

I'd highly recommend not using Internet Explorer and instead browse with … I'd highly recommend not using Internet Explorer and instead browse with an alternate browser, a lot of malware is aimed at IE therefore without it the malware can't even get the first steup into your system.John

thats a good point there.... IE is known for its vulnerabilities, and with windows 7 not coming with IE, im guessing a lot more will be moving over to firefox, opera and safari

as long as you keep your AV and spyware/ malware systems up to date, you shouldn't have a problem

I don't use anti-virus just scan my PC every 4/5months for viruses still yet to have got a virus in 8 years, I do have a hardware firewall tightened up to the hilt though.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767218
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1012
      3. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?917
      4. love affairs912

See more discussions