Who else finds OVO ENERGY EXPENSIVE?

Found 24th Feb
Smart meters installed months ago, and even before then it was expensive. Live on my own and even my parents bills with three of them living there doesn't come to this, they even get broadband home phone line rental and energy and a mobile sim card with utility warehouse for cheaper than I'm paying a month of just for "energy"
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
I left them a few years ago when the boss was pouring our money into F1 team sponsorship. That always looks ex[pensive and its not a wonder their rates rose to near the big 6 level.

They started out meaning well but quickly crossed the line to join the greedy big providers. However that didn't stop them chutzpah to appear on radio and TV misrepresenting themselves as good for you and me and against the big suppliers.

Have since moved to Iresa who have been fantastic on price but terrible at taking DDs. I have an open complaint with the Ombudsman. Clearly they have got themselves into cashflow problems and have tried to rip off customers with huge DD increases to get cash in the bank.
ccnp11 m ago

I left them a few years ago when the boss was pouring our money into F1 …I left them a few years ago when the boss was pouring our money into F1 team sponsorship. That always looks ex[pensive and its not a wonder their rates rose to near the big 6 level.They started out meaning well but quickly crossed the line to join the greedy big providers. However that didn't stop them chutzpah to appear on radio and TV misrepresenting themselves as good for you and me and against the big suppliers.Have since moved to Iresa who have been fantastic on price but terrible at taking DDs. I have an open complaint with the Ombudsman. Clearly they have got themselves into cashflow problems and have tried to rip off customers with huge DD increases to get cash in the bank.

Thanks. At this rate I'm never going to be able to leave them. Canceled DD months ago I set up a standing order instead instructing my bank exactly how much I want to pay a month. Without ovo increasing it by massive amounts each month
If you compare price per unit they're probably cheap, the amount you use probably makes it expensive
They're far from the most expensive. I live in a two bed semi and Ovo bill me £45 a month for both gas and leccy, 12 months a year. It's coming ot the end of Winter and we're still nearly £200 in CREDIT. Infinitely cheaper than BG and the likes.
It all depends on where you live as to what prices are available. The wholesale prices companies pay in each area of the company vary quite wildly, this price variance is passed onto customers.

It also depends how much energy you use too.
cmdr_elito36 m ago

It all depends on where you live as to what prices are available. The …It all depends on where you live as to what prices are available. The wholesale prices companies pay in each area of the company vary quite wildly, this price variance is passed onto customers.It also depends how much energy you use too.

No where near as who I'm comparing myself to . Per per summary
I would say firstly check that the amounts they are charging per KwH and other charges are correct to what you signed up to, and then check that those amounts are reasonably competitive compared to other providers. If that's all ok, then I can think of 4 possible problems. 1. You use too much energy - your smart meter should be of help to work that one out. 2. The meter(s) are faulty - request that they are tested/replaced. 3. A neighbour has some devices connected to your supply - unlikely, but possible. 4. They are not billing as per meter readings - you'll need to check that yourself.
As others have said find out how much you are paying per unit and what your standing charge is. Then what you use exactly like TV's etc. I used to get high bills at a flat I used to rent as every device was very poorly rated for energy efficiency and I guess I used the tumble dryer too often as that just eats money.
OVO are the cheapest company that does the warm home rebate for a fixed tariff.
If you join through MSE you also receive £25 cashback.
machomansavage6 h, 27 m ago

Thanks. At this rate I'm never going to be able to leave them. Canceled DD …Thanks. At this rate I'm never going to be able to leave them. Canceled DD months ago I set up a standing order instead instructing my bank exactly how much I want to pay a month. Without ovo increasing it by massive amounts each month

OVO pay 3% interest on any credit which is a good rate nowerdays.
When I was looking around last year, they were the cheapest I could find.
RadiantDuck9 h, 30 m ago

When I was looking around last year, they were the cheapest I could find.

Heard they're being investigated by OFGEM. Yes they always advertise as being cheapest but I can assure you first had they're very expensive. Can't wait to leave them.
machomansavage24 m ago

Heard they're being investigated by OFGEM. Yes they always advertise as …Heard they're being investigated by OFGEM. Yes they always advertise as being cheapest but I can assure you first had they're very expensive. Can't wait to leave them.

I got my prices frozen so I should be alright. Once the price freeze finished I compare again and move on, so I'm not too worried.
machomansavage29 m ago

Heard they're being investigated by OFGEM. Yes they always advertise as …Heard they're being investigated by OFGEM. Yes they always advertise as being cheapest but I can assure you first had they're very expensive. Can't wait to leave them.

If you signed up to them you were happy with the price you were given, as posters have said if you use more then you pay more and the same would be said for any company you are with. As also mentioned put your details in to MSE and see who is the cheapest you might get a shock you will be moving to a company that costs you more. If you think you are paying over the odds change and pay the exit fee but make sure you give your new company the correct figures or in a few months time you will be back here again.

i bet it’s you are using more energy than before or what you were telling them or they estimated for you.
eslick9 h, 29 m ago

If you signed up to them you were happy with the price you were given, as …If you signed up to them you were happy with the price you were given, as posters have said if you use more then you pay more and the same would be said for any company you are with. As also mentioned put your details in to MSE and see who is the cheapest you might get a shock you will be moving to a company that costs you more. If you think you are paying over the odds change and pay the exit fee but make sure you give your new company the correct figures or in a few months time you will be back here again.i bet it’s you are using more energy than before or what you were telling them or they estimated for you.

I cant see this at all my sister lives with my parents so theres 3 of them living in one house hold also i have smart meters and they don't. I'm sp very annoyed with OVO. Read somewhere that they preform this chain thing where they deliberately up your dd more and more each month. Have u ever been with OVO? Or know anyone who has? Thanks for the MSE thing i normally use u switch
machomansavage4 h, 12 m ago

I cant see this at all my sister lives with my parents so theres 3 of them …I cant see this at all my sister lives with my parents so theres 3 of them living in one house hold also i have smart meters and they don't. I'm sp very annoyed with OVO. Read somewhere that they preform this chain thing where they deliberately up your dd more and more each month. Have u ever been with OVO? Or know anyone who has? Thanks for the MSE thing i normally use u switch

sadly it doesnt work like that, it could be you are being less efficient than they are, they may have energy saving lights, switch off lights, better insulation dont put the heating on as much as you do, have a different property, better boiler the list goes on and on. Its never wise comparing. Ovo should only be putting up your bills if you are using more than you are paying ask them to check. It could also be that you have a faulty meter, not very often it happens but it does.

Give you an example of us, we live in a detached house, 4 of us, washer on all the time pay £109 a month, now for our house we are paying £300 more than the national average. we have full insulation, all LED bulbs and can I get us to pay less nope. In laws pay £70, my mam pays £45 both have roughly the same size bungalow my mam has no energy saving bulbs, tell a lie she just got one inlaws do.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants