Groups

Who "invents" words ?

Why is "dyslexia" so hard to spell ?
    Why is there an "s" in "lisp" ?
    Why is there an "st" in "stutter" ?

Discuss and add others.

26 Comments

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words...

hi is a short word

lol thats funny :lol:

The longest english word is:

cetylseryltyrosylserylisoleucylthreonylserylprolylserylglutaminyl-
    phenylalanylvalylphenylalanylleucylserylserylvalyltryptophylalanyl-
    aspartylprolylisoleucylglutamylleucylleucylasparaginylvalylcysteinyl-
    threonylserylserylleucylglycylasparaginylglutaminylphenylalanyl-
    glutaminylthreonylglutaminylglutaminylalanylarginylthreonylthreonyl-
    glutaminylvalylglutaminylglutaminylphenylalanylserylglutaminylvalyl-
    tryptophyllysylprolylphenylalanylprolylglutaminylserylthreonylvalyl-
    arginylphenylalanylprolylglycylaspartylvalyltyrosyllysylvalyltyrosyl-
    arginyltyrosylasparaginylalanylvalylleucylaspartylprolylleucylisoleucyl-
    threonylalanylleucylleucylglycylthreonylphenylalanylaspartylthreonyl-
    arginylasparaginylarginylisoleucylisoleucylglutamylvalylglutamyl-
    asparaginylglutaminylglutaminylserylprolylthreonylthreonylalanylglutamyl-
    threonylleucylaspartylalanylthreonylarginylarginylvalylaspartylaspartyl-
    alanylthreonylvalylalanylisoleucylarginylserylalanylasparaginylisoleucyl-
    asparaginylleucylvalylasparaginylglutamylleucylvalylarginylglycyl-
    threonylglycylleucyltyrosylasparaginylglutaminylasparaginylthreonyl-
    phenylalanylglutamylserylmethionylserylglycylleucylvalyltryptophyl-
    threonylserylalanylprolylalanylserin

A chemical name though

Don't forget Rhinoplasty is for a nose job....as if people aren't humiliated enough already without being called a rhino nose. :giggle:

DarkKnight;6309392

The longest english word … The longest english word is:cetylseryltyrosylserylisoleucylthreonylserylprolylserylglutaminyl-phenylalanylvalylphenylalanylleucylserylserylvalyltryptophylalanyl-aspartylprolylisoleucylglutamylleucylleucylasparaginylvalylcysteinyl-threonylserylserylleucylglycylasparaginylglutaminylphenylalanyl-glutaminylthreonylglutaminylglutaminylalanylarginylthreonylthreonyl-glutaminylvalylglutaminylglutaminylphenylalanylserylglutaminylvalyl-tryptophyllysylprolylphenylalanylprolylglutaminylserylthreonylvalyl-arginylphenylalanylprolylglycylaspartylvalyltyrosyllysylvalyltyrosyl-arginyltyrosylasparaginylalanylvalylleucylaspartylprolylleucylisoleucyl-threonylalanylleucylleucylglycylthreonylphenylalanylaspartylthreonyl-arginylasparaginylarginylisoleucylisoleucylglutamylvalylglutamyl-asparaginylglutaminylglutaminylserylprolylthreonylthreonylalanylglutamyl-threonylleucylaspartylalanylthreonylarginylarginylvalylaspartylaspartyl-alanylthreonylvalylalanylisoleucylarginylserylalanylasparaginylisoleucyl-asparaginylleucylvalylasparaginylglutamylleucylvalylarginylglycyl-threonylglycylleucyltyrosylasparaginylglutaminylasparaginylthreonyl-phenylalanylglutamylserylmethionylserylglycylleucylvalyltryptophyl-threonylserylalanylprolylalanylserinA chemical name though

You made a typo

realfriendlyman;6309410

You made a typo

Doh i forgot an "A"

If there were no 's' in lisp then peeps would have to say ''she/he speaks with a lips'' & it would make peeps talk funny.

supercalafragilisticexpealodocious thread!

realfriendlyman;6309410

You made a typo

DarkKnight;6309414

Doh i forgot an "A"

Can you please seperate the word, so we can all see how it should be pronounced. :giggle:

I think I've just foundout how to keep you occupied until next christmas. :lol:

"Marriage" is the longest sentence.

hiya everyone

good point btw ...

realfriendlyman;6309464

Can you please seperate the word, so we can all see how it should be … Can you please seperate the word, so we can all see how it should be pronounced. :giggle:I think I've just foundout how to keep you occupied until next christmas. :lol:

Nah i'll just use Spellcheck on Word. that never fails :whistling:

fanpages;6309471

"Marriage" is the longest sentence.

Yeah but it's not never-ending

muffin247;6309368

hi is a short word

O?

DarkKnight;6309479

Nah i'll just use Spellcheck on Word. that never fails :whistling:

That's cheating....I think you should show us how the word is pronounced...I'm intrigued. :lol:

realfriendlyman;6309644

That's cheating....I think you should show us how the word is … That's cheating....I think you should show us how the word is pronounced...I'm intrigued. :lol:

Sure...i can even say it backwards :lol:

krazie2004;6309349

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words...

bud that is a great word :thumbsup:

Why English is so difficult...
    ---
    We polish Polish furniture.

He could lead if he got the lead out.

A farm can produce produce.

The dump was so full, it had to refuse refuse.

The soldier decided to desert in the desert.

The present is a good time to present the present.

At the Army base, a bass was painted on a bass drum.

A dove dove into the bushes.

I didn’t object to the object.

The insurance for the invalid was invalid.

The bandage was wound around the wound.

There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.

The two were too close to the door to close it.

The buck does funny things when does are present.

They sent a sewer down to stitch a tear in the sewer line.

To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.

The wind was too strong to wind the sail.

After a number of Novocain injections, my lips got number.

I shed a tear over a tear in my shirt.

I had to subject the subject to a number of tests.

How can I intimate this to my most intimate friends?

I spent last evening evening out a pile of dirt.
    ---

BFN,

fp.

what is uncommon with this following piece?

This is an unusual month — Santa, snow and so on. But this is an unusual paragraph too. How quickly can you find out what is so uncommon about it? It looks so ordinary that you may think nothing is odd about it, until you actually match it against most paragraphs this long. If you put your mind to it and study it hard, you will find out — but nobody may assist you — do it without any coaching. Go to work and try your skill at figuring it out. Par on it is about half an hour. Good luck — and don't blow your cool.

EDIT: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog uses all the letters of the alphabet.

Disco;6312698

EDIT: [b]The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog uses all the letters … EDIT: [b]The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog uses all the letters of the alphabet.

Another example of a "panagram" using less characters than above (and making some kind of sense; unlike other shorter "panagrams" that just seem to be a collection of unrelated words):

"Bright vixens jump; dozy fowl quack"

Microsoft have recently used the panagram "Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz" to preview the alphabetic characters of non-TrueType fonts.

The following text is also a very cleverly-devised Panagram:

"This Pangram contains four a's, one b, two c's, one d, thirty e's, six f's, five g's, seven h's, eleven i's, one j, one k, two l's, two m's, eighteen n's, fifteen o's, two p's, one q, five r's, twenty-seven s's, eighteen t's, two u's, seven v's, eight w's, two x's, three y's, & one z"

See if you can do better!

BFN,

fp.

Disco;6312698

what is uncommon with this following piece?This is an unusual month — S … what is uncommon with this following piece?This is an unusual month — Santa, snow and so on. But this is an unusual paragraph too. How quickly can you find out what is so uncommon about it? It looks so ordinary that you may think nothing is odd about it, until you actually match it against most paragraphs this long. If you put your mind to it and study it hard, you will find out — but nobody may assist you — do it without any coaching. Go to work and try your skill at figuring it out. Par on it is about half an hour. Good luck — and don't blow your cool.

I hadn't seen that before. Thanks for sharing, Disco.

If you know the most common letter of the English Language then that should be a big clue

BFN,

fp.

know the most common letter of the English Language then that should be a big clue
    [/quote]

Is it a leccy bill?

Jumpingphil;6313476

And twenty apostrophes that should not be there.:thumbsup:

Yes... but for every person who knows how to use an apostrophe you will find two more who cannot read a grammatically correct sentence because of the presence of correct apostrophe usage.

Without them, to be fair, it is more difficult to understand (initially):

"This Pangram contains four as, one b, two cs, one d, thirty es, six fs, five gs, seven hs, eleven is, one j, one k, two ls, two ms, eighteen ns, fifteen os, two ps, one q, five rs, twenty-seven ss, eighteen ts, two us, seven vs, eight ws, two xs, three ys, & one z"

BFN,

fp.

mod

fanpages and Jumpingphil you are both legends

I always wondered why abbreviation was such a long word BTW

cannyscot;6313283

Is it a leccy bill?

I am surprised Microsoft (or, maybe, perhaps the Massachusetts Institute of Technology) has not chosen to seek copyright (or exclusive rights) of the abbreviation of "electronic" to "e", like Apple uses an "i" prefix (alleged to previously have represented "internet") for branding their products.

Imagine the revenue they could have seen if every time an "e-" prefix was used in printed material a small fee had to be paid.

BFN,

fp.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Best 40 inch TV for £30033
      2. Ask and Misc quieter since for sale has gone?915
      3. Should I buy brand new wd drive without warranty on ebay79
      4. 10% Argos code with glitch40

See more discussions