Groups

Who is responsible?

I just purchased some brand new PC parts for a from a repuatable supplier. Got my local shop to fix the items together to make me a fully working pc. I wanted to install the operating system myself as its not the hardest job in the world to install and update windows. Got the pc home witihin 20 minutes of use i had the screen freeze, no movement of anything so reset and started again since last night this happened 20 times approx. It has now gone back to the shop for further testing. I am responsible for the costs involved or should I expect a pc that works for what i paid to have in the first place? They have had the pc since 9am this morning and want to keep hold of it until lunchtime tomorrow how long does it take to fully test a pc?

9 Comments

i would expect it to work!!!

but they could argue they didnt supply the parts so arent aware if the fault is with them

make sure u listen carefully to there explanation on whats wrong so u can tell if they are responsible asnd then state that

bad move, buying parts from one place and expecting another to sort it all out good luck you may need it.

Its my fault, im male therefore I am to blame!

harlzter;3052281

Its my fault, im male therefore I am to blame!

smart man if only the rest would learn that :thumbsup::p

my first thought would be that its a manufacure fault ie. A fault with the parts you bought
    If correct then you would need to take it up with the shop that supplied you with the goods.

However until a full test is carried out on the PC to tell where the problem is you wont know for sure. Some diagnostics take overnight to complete...i would suggest you contact the store where you have left your pc sometime tomorrow afternoon if you have not heard anything.

Original Poster

susie123;3052357

my first thought would be that its a manufacure fault ie. A fault with … my first thought would be that its a manufacure fault ie. A fault with the parts you boughtIf correct then you would need to take it up with the shop that supplied you with the goods.However until a full test is carried out on the PC to tell where the problem is you wont know for sure. Some diagnostics take overnight to complete...i would suggest you contact the store where you have left your pc sometime tomorrow afternoon if you have not heard anything.

Many thanks for all your help. Hopefuly some good news tomorrow.

Why didn't you buy a ready made PC if you can't make one yourself?

Dead on arrival parts happen, there's nothing you can do or the seller can do about it and they'll be quite happy to replace it for free once you report it.

Getting someone else to assemble it is a problem, as you can't tell whether the parts were broken on arrival or whether they broke it. If you don't trust the assembler then I would expect the cost to fall on you unless you can prove that it was broken one way or another.

Testing a PC depends on how quick the fault is to appear and how consistant it is, it sounds like your fault takes a while to appear so I'd say a day and a half is perfectly reasonable - bear in mind that yours may not be the only PC they're looking at right now.

Original Poster

Abvance;3052421

Why didn't you buy a ready made PC if you can't make one yourself?

I like to buy components myself so i know what im getting for the money spent. I wanted a 3ghz dual core processor with 2gb ddr3 pc1600 ram upgradable to 8gb in long run running ultimate 64bit with the evga 790i ultra triple sli motherboard with a evga gtx 280 in a decent ish case with 900w PSU at present only having a standard dvd/rw and a 500gb hd wanting eventually to get a blu ray/hd player and a velociraptor hard drive. So I shop around on the internet for best prices and order that way. Im not over keen on playing with PSU's and what plug goes where so i pay my local shop to fix it together in respect to knowing when i have it at home nothing should go wrong with it.. Witha bit of luck problem will be resolved
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Unexpected house guest query (Ratatouille)1317
      2. Just an thought regarding Paypal98
      3. Samsung 4k TVs which one 49/55inch curved? £1.50034
      4. Type 11, 21 or 22 Radiators?24

See more discussions