Groups

Who knows anything about Sheffield?

Well I've just landed a fantastic new job but need to relocate to Sheffield (from Portsmouth!). I've never even been to the place before, so was wondering if anyone had any useful tips/info about it?

I would be very interested in any info about good places to live. I'm looking to buy/rent a nice place...ideally a new/modern apartment. What are good locations to look into?

Of course I'll be visiting before my start date in September, but it would be good to have some heads up before then! Thank you!!!

29 Comments

Me................................................steel.

raptorcigs;2313912

beaten me to it.

Original Poster

raptorcigs;2313912

Lol thats what scared me the most as I was accepting the offer! But I'm told there's more to the place than that!...

Original Poster

ctuk;2313916

wiki knows a lot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield

There's some good stuff, I just thought insider information could give me more useful hints lol! Their article on Portsmouth doesn't really highlight any of the areas one should avoid! :thumbsup:

Check out ]http//ww….uk great for accomodation and going out etc. Good luck with the move. :thumbsup:

Quidco is located there.

If it isn't I was told total BS.

Original Poster

t0mm;2313966

Quidco is located there.If it isn't I was told total BS.

Hahahahaha, maybe I should pay them a visit and claim back all those payments that never tracked!!!

So what's this new job?

Sebastain Coe comes from there.
    Meadowhall for shopping.

Original Poster

Abvance;2314050

So what's this new job?

I'm not 100% sure what I' doing yet, but its a graduate role working on a contract BT have...good job though!

Original Poster

chesso;2314055

Sebastain Coe comes from there.Meadowhall for shopping.

I've heard of the Meadowhall place...will defo be paying it a visit, or two, or three....

Like most place it has good areas and bad do research into any areas you may be thinking of moving too, I lived there for a while and you get to the point of thinking "will my TV still be there when i get back?" I have a scar above my eyebrow from when I got burgled and whacked there with a hammer whilst asleep (the two lads who did it have more scars though and one a permanent limp). Off the top of my head areas to avoid (among others) "The Manor" "Arbourthorne" "Parson Cross" "Norfolk Park - where i lived".

Nightlife was pretty good (dont know if its still there but a place called millionaires used to attract minor celebs, I managed to cop off whilst bladdered with someone from corrie in there) lots of cheap nights aimed at students about, and the leadmill has some good live music on (as does the boardwalk), every night is party night, the kasbah is good if you like rock, roundhouse used to be a dive (we used to get all those coming in who where barred elsewhere - door policy was everything goes unless you are tooled up) but is supposedly better these days, chilling out in the peace gardens is a must.

As previously said meadowhall is well worth a visit, everything under one roof, and the countrys largest live exhibition of chavs, hoodys and assorted dregs in one place!

It's known as Meadowhell to the locals lol

full monty

Original Poster

dmissy13;2314071

It's known as Meadowhell to the locals lol

Eeeek, I think i get the drift now! Lol

Original Poster

harlzter;2314069

Off the top of my head areas to avoid (among others) "The Manor" … Off the top of my head areas to avoid (among others) "The Manor" "Arbourthorne" "Parson Cross" "Norfolk Park - where i lived".

Brill, thanks for that! I shall be paying closer attention to what the estate agent tries to sell me now! I'm looking forward to the nightlife now after what you say too

03bintls;2314126

Brill, thanks for that! I shall be paying closer attention to what the … Brill, thanks for that! I shall be paying closer attention to what the estate agent tries to sell me now! I'm looking forward to the nightlife now after what you say too

Ive seen some very cheap properties in the sheff area then you realise why when you experience the area!

Will you be working in central sheffield? would you be willing to commute? within a 20-25 minute commute its a completely different world, the nightlife is what kept me at Sheffield (sans TV) for so long!

stay out of manor estate

rough as hell.

Apart from that, sheffields alright. Like any other city tbh, good parts and bad parts.
    Hallam FM gets quite alot of big names, so quite handy if your into your music or ice hockey etc

Original Poster

harlzter;2314157

Ive seen some very cheap properties in the sheff area then you realise … Ive seen some very cheap properties in the sheff area then you realise why when you experience the area!Will you be working in central sheffield? would you be willing to commute? within a 20-25 minute commute its a completely different world, the nightlife is what kept me at Sheffield (sans TV) for so long!

I'll be in central Sheffield, Rockingham Street to be precise! I don't mind the idea of commuting, it would have been good to live somewhere central though. But if its all a bit 'dodgy' then commute it will have to be!!!

Original Poster

stratomaster;2314167

stay out of manor estate

Thank you! Advice noted!!

03bintls;2314174

I'll be in central Sheffield, Rockingham Street to be precise! I don't … I'll be in central Sheffield, Rockingham Street to be precise! I don't mind the idea of commuting, it would have been good to live somewhere central though. But if its all a bit 'dodgy' then commute it will have to be!!!

Expect high insurance rates too for both cars and home, make sure you mix in with your neighbours well and they will look out for you, the locals are a generally friendly bunch though!

Original Poster

harlzter;2314202

Expect high insurance rates too for both cars and home, make sure you mix … Expect high insurance rates too for both cars and home, make sure you mix in with your neighbours well and they will look out for you, the locals are a generally friendly bunch though!

Omg you don't know how much you are scaring me now! What have I let myself in for......

Last time i went to Sheffield it was flooded!

the legend kazim richards played there :P

Original Poster

miffy121;2314260

Last time i went to Sheffield it was flooded!

And there I was thinking it was on the top of a very big hill.!!!

03bintls;2314251

Omg you don't know how much you are scaring me now! What have I let … Omg you don't know how much you are scaring me now! What have I let myself in for......

Dont mate, ask about most cities and you will get the same types of advice, even the villages I live in now have there good and bad areas!

Original Poster

harlzter;2314296

Now this is a good part of sheffield I miss … Now this is a good part of sheffield I miss http://www.spinsheffield.com/tours/Peace_Gardens/

Every time I try and open your link it just makes my computer crash!!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767472
      2. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4691425
      3. word association Game74044579
      4. One thing you've forgotten911

See more discussions