Groups

Who remembers Radio Luxembourg?

Does anyone remember Radio Luxenbourg?.
    I've fond memories of tuning in on a pocket transistor with a single mono earpiece.
    No ipods and mp3 players then :-)

18 Comments

mod

I used to listed to Radio Luxembourg when I was a nipper.

I'd be put to bed about 8/9pm (I'd have been about 7 to 10) and if there was no football commentary (on Radio 2 I think it was back then) I'd tune in to Radio Lux as they always had the best music and DJ's and fall asleep listening to it.

I had a mono pocket radio too (man I went through some batteries) and a single earpiece.

meeee, I remember.
    We had a radiogram, looked a bit like a coffin lol.
    The good old days!!

I do -- creepy DJs and an altogether old world feel.. Radio Caroline was the vibe.
    But what do I know? My memory is failing.

Chris Moyles does.

the old stuff had the stations printed on them - it seemed so exotic then. Hilversum used to stand out for me - then I went there, was'nt quite what I expected.

yeah the jingle went something like - "275/285..... Radio Luxembuuuurrggg"

I remember it well. My sister used to listen to it a lot for the charts. Always having to move the radio and/or aerial around to get a reception as it was always crackly and wavy.

I also seem to remember they were the first to announce the death of Elvis Presley - again I remember my sister going on about it as it had just been revealed.

Much better than the rubbish presenters we have to put up with these days.

I thought it was Radio 1 on 275 & 285? Radio Luxembourg was 208.

Some old people itt

Original Poster

sancho1983

Some old people itt

Oi less of the old lol.I'm still in my forties (just)

yeah my mistake - 27/285 was Radio 1. Can't remember what they sang on the luxemburg jingle but it was very similar.

good days, proper radio.

karaokecolin

yeah the jingle went something like - "275/285..... Radio … yeah the jingle went something like - "275/285..... Radio Luxembuuuurrggg"I remember it well. My sister used to listen to it a lot for the charts. Always having to move the radio and/or aerial around to get a reception as it was always crackly and wavy.I also seem to remember they were the first to announce the death of Elvis Presley - again I remember my sister going on about it as it had just been revealed.Much better than the rubbish presenters we have to put up with these days.

OMG.......Radio Lux is where I also heard Elvis Presley had died. I might be wrong but I heard one evening about 9pm (always tuned to Lux at that time), I was studying for my exams at the time.

Got goose bumps now:D

Dont remember Radio Luxembourg but i do remember Atlantic 252 (tribute stream here)
    Edited by: "Carley" 12th Mar 2011

I remember Atlantic 252

from what I remember about radio Luxemburg the signal used to fade in & out & I had to keep moving the radio to get a better signal, used to listen to it under the bed-clothes & the same as andy w, I spent or should I say my parents spent a small fortune on batteries, enough money to keep a small country going ! Then I discovered The Friday Rock Show hosted by Tommy Vance, RIP fella
    Edited by: "richp" 12th Mar 2011

i'm 33 and remember radio luxemburgh!:)

Falling asleep with a tranny was so different then.

dontasciime

Falling asleep with a tranny was so different then.

beautiful!

richp

from what I remember about radio Luxemburg the signal used to fade in & … from what I remember about radio Luxemburg the signal used to fade in & out & I had to keep moving the radio to get a better signal, used to listen to it under the bed-clothes & the same as andy w, I spent or should I say my parents spent a small fortune on batteries, enough money to keep a small country going ! Then I discovered The Friday Rock Show hosted by Tommy Vance, RIP fella

I can remember my parents always used to have Luxembourg on in the car when I came out of Cubs on a Friday night around 8ish. Home, clean teeth and get to bed sharpish and listen to Tommy V with the old mono ear plug in. Can remember the first time he played Princess of the Night by Saxon, wish it had been in stereo mind!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What would be HELL to you?2635
      2. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2241
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047132
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767346

See more discussions