Who sang the original? Songs needed!

Found 9th Aug
I need 20 songs which have been covered by another artist to use in a quiz.

I'm going to play a covered version but ask who sang the original. I'm going to use the following but need more.

1. I Fought the Law - The Clash (Originally but The Crickets)
2. I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston (Originally by Dolly Parton)
3. Love Letters - Alison Moyet (Originally by Elvis)

Can anyone think of anymore?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
43 Comments
Knockin' on Heaven's Door, guns and roses and Eric Clapton with bob Dylan as the original
How about:

The Locomotion.

Originally by Little Eva (1962) - covered by (of course) "little" Kylie Minogue.
'Respect' made famous by of course Aretha Franklin, but the original was actually Otis Reading
Suspicious Minds.

Elvis

Fine Young Cannibals
ceres11 m ago

Tainted Love - cover Soft Cell, original Gloria Jones (bonus point for …Tainted Love - cover Soft Cell, original Gloria Jones (bonus point for knowing who her boyfriend was).

even better play em the Marilyn Manson version

there' s been so many, how about run by Leona Lewis, won't be fair to the youngsters to go with all very old songs.
Edited by: "maddogb" 9th Aug
The Fugees - killing me softly
Original by Lori Lieberman

Mad World Gary Jules (Tears for Fears)
Hurt Johnny Cash (Nine Inch Nails)
It's my life - No doubt was originally by Talk Talk

Jersey Girl by Bruce Springsteen was originally by Tom Waits.

Nothing compares to you - Sinead O'connor was originally by Prince

I will always love you - Whitney Houston was originally by Dolly Parton.

Hound Dog - Elvis Presley, originally by Willie Mae "Big Mama" Thornton.

I'm usually good at this so I'll have a bit of a think and post more, I like to think I have a good knowledge on music and the artists
Edited by: "SquirbyDude" 9th Aug
Don't turn around - Ace of Base, original by Tina Turner

Torn - Natalie Imbruglia, originally by Ednaswap

I love Rock n roll - Joan Jett and the blackhearts, original by Arrows, was also covered by Brittany Spears but the less said about that the better!

Red Red Wine - UB40 originally by Neil Diamond.

Oh so quiet - Bjork, original by Betty Hutton.
Billy joel - uptown girl. (Covered by westlife)

The bangles - eternal flame (covered by atomic kitten
Edited by: "Caroline_1993" 9th Aug
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da original by the Beatles cover by Marmalade.
Robbie Williams, ‘she’s the one’ originally sang by Karl Wallinger of the Waterboys
Nellie the Elephant ... Toy Dolls, orignally Mandy Miller.
Valarie - the Zutons (covered byAmy Winehouse)
Run Snow Patrol (Covered by Leona Lewis)
Word up by Cameo (covered by loads of people but my favourite is Korn)
When the going gets tough Billy Ocean / Boyzone
Words Bee Gees / Boyzone
Love me for a reason The Osmonds / Boyzone
Basically lots of Boyzone songs!!
Adele "Make you feel my Love" original Bob Dylan
Don't use Torn, there'll be some arguments there as it was recorded several times.
Disturbed -“Sound of Silence”original Simon and Garfunkel.
Damned. - “Eloise” original Paul and Barry Ryan.
LJM11 m ago

Disturbed -“Sound of Silence”original Simon and Garfunkel.Damned. - “El …Disturbed -“Sound of Silence”original Simon and Garfunkel.Damned. - “Eloise” original Paul and Barry Ryan.

Paul and Barry Ryan - aren’t they (weren’t they) The Chuckle Brothers?
u6645418 m ago

Paul and Barry Ryan - aren’t they (weren’t they) The Chuckle Brothers?

No.
MadeDixonsCry10 m ago

Sugarbabes - shape (originally by sting)

The Sugababes' track is not the same lyrically; apart from the chorus to "Shape of My Heart" (that Sting re-recorded).
With a little help from my friends - Wet Wet Wet, previously Joe Cocker, original The Beatles
fanpages36 m ago

The Sugababes' track is not the same lyrically; apart from the chorus to …The Sugababes' track is not the same lyrically; apart from the chorus to "Shape of My Heart" (that Sting re-recorded).

You're right. Ignore my suggestion
The First Cut Is The Deepest - Rod Stewart, previously PP Arnold, original Cat Stevens.

Wild World - Jimmie Cliff, original Cat Stevens
Tom Traubert's Blues (Waltzing Matilda) and Downtown Train - Rod Stewart, both originals Tom Waits.
eayragt1 h, 16 m ago

Don't use Torn, there'll be some arguments there as it was recorded …Don't use Torn, there'll be some arguments there as it was recorded several times.

No arguments here:

[ hotukdeals.com/com…510 ]
fanpages16 m ago

No arguments here:[ https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/33479510 …No arguments here:[ https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/33479510 ]

No, but your post (correctly) contradicts an earlier answer. You don't need arguments like than in a quiz, especially with both artists being obscure.
ceres3 h, 5 m ago

Tainted Love - cover Soft Cell, original Gloria Jones (bonus point for …Tainted Love - cover Soft Cell, original Gloria Jones (bonus point for knowing who her boyfriend was).

Think it was Mark Bolan before he crashed into a tree.
did you try google?
'cover songs'
/thread
You beat me to I Will Always Love You

Love is All Around mega hit for Wet Wet Wet was originally recorded by The Troggs.

First Time Ever I Saw Your Face most famously sung by Roberta Flack was originally sung by Peggy Seeger. It was written for her by her future husband Ewan MacColl.

Always On My Mind originally by Elvis Presley, covered by the Pet Shop Boys.
Love is all around - Wet Wet Wet originally the Troggs
Am I Evil - Metallica originally Diamond Head

Nothing like contrasting options and the last one might get No scores.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 9th Aug
fanpages1 h, 12 m ago

No arguments here:[ https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/33479510 …No arguments here:[ https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/33479510 ]

You learn something every day thought that was her pension song.
All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix cover of Bob Dylan original.

And I only recently realised that Don't Leave Me This Way by The Communards was a cover, and was originally sung by Thelma Houston.
Edited by: "Cinnabar" 9th Aug
The wanderer originally dion then status quo
Manic Monday - Prince (or symbol) performed by The Bangles.
RiverDragon82 h, 48 m ago

Manic Monday - Prince (or symbol) performed by The Bangles.

Prince wrote the song but didn't record it.

A few examples of the compositions originally performed by Prince, but later recorded by another artist:

"I Feel For You" (on his 1979 eponymous album) & then by Chaka Khan (in 1984).

"Nothing Compares 2 U" was originally on the eponymous (1995) album by "The Family", then released as a single performed by Sinéad O'Connor (in 1990), performed live as a duet with Prince & the Revolution with Rosie Gaines for inclusion on the 1993 "The Hits/The B-Sides" compilation album, & very recently re-released in the original form performed by Prince (in 1984) as a standalone single.

"Kiss" released in 1986 by Prince & the Revolution, & in 1988 by The Art of Noise with Tom Jones.
Have a look on Spotify at songs by Richard Cheese.
one of my youthful favourites!! and possibly quite a rare one as i don't think it was released as a single
"You've lost that loving feeling"
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants