Who Uses Virgin Media Free Usenet?

Found 15th Aug 2012
Pretty shocked at how many people are unaware that Virgin Media offer a pretty good free newsgroup service.

Wondering how many people use it or don't even know what it is.
Community Updates
32 Comments
Here is an really old post I did years ago about it for Windows. The site is offline now but archive.org has a copy. The guide maybe old but what it covers hasn't changed. Its still done the same way as it was done then as it is now.
http://web.archive.org/web/20090228062346/http://pinguy.infogami.com/usenet

This ones more up-to-date but is for Ubuntu/Ubuntu based systems.
http://forum.pinguyos.com/Thread-Usenet-How-To-Guide

For quick access:

Host: news.virginmedia.com
Port: 119
Username: Blank/None
Password: Blank/None
Connections: 6
Usenet Retention: 30 Days
Edited by: "pinguy" 17th Aug 2012
No way!? How did I miss this. I pay for mine, damn it
First rule of newsgroups...
sancho1983

lol. I think most people are aware of it or at least heard of it by now
Might be free, but the retention is poor

I pay for my newsgroup, its like £7 a month, but can download something which was posted 3 years ago lol
Is it 30 days for binaries? Used to be 5-7 days when I was on there a while back

No SSL which is a bit worrying as well...
1tb from astraweb is pretty cheap, with great retention and ssl.
Retention is 7 days for binaries. SSL not really needed unless you're downloading at work or are paranoid about someone snooping on your local network. As the servers belong to VM, kind of pointless trying to disguise your downloads (assuming that's what you want SSL for)
Only used as a backup with minimal retention, logs show is hardly accessed.
Pretty shocked at how many people use Virgin Media's free newsgroup service to download films / music! oO

oldmanhouse

Retention is 7 days for binaries. SSL not really needed unless you're … Retention is 7 days for binaries. SSL not really needed unless you're downloading at work or are paranoid about someone snooping on your local network. As the servers belong to VM, kind of pointless trying to disguise your downloads (assuming that's what you want SSL for)

its 30 days now. I just use it for tv show downloads as really dont think they'll hassle me for that as opposed to film / music downloads.

Edited by: "csiman" 16th Aug 2012
csiman

Pretty shocked at how many people use Virgin Media's free newsgroup … Pretty shocked at how many people use Virgin Media's free newsgroup service to download films / music! oO

Why? If Virgin Media didn't want that content on their Newsgroup they wouldn't mirror groups like alt.binaries.boneless or alt.binaries.hdtv.x264. When it was NTL the newsgroup was rubbish. It had hardly any groups on it.

Also Virgin Media are pretty good. Virgin Media and TalkTalk where the only two ISP in the UK that wouldn't hand over user data to ACS:Law.

Plus using newsgroup to download copyrighted content is a bit of an grey area. Torrents are not legal because you are sharing the content as you are downloading. But just downloading the content is not breaking the law. Its the person hosting it thats in the wrong.

Its why when watching a copyrighted video on youtube you are not doing anything wrong. Its Youtube responsibility to not have it there.

Its only breaking the law when you are sharing the copyrighted material. Not downloading it.

Edited by: "pinguy" 16th Aug 2012
pinguy

Why? If Virgin Media didn't want that content on their Newsgroup they … Why? If Virgin Media didn't want that content on their Newsgroup they wouldn't mirror groups like alt.binaries.boneless or alt.binaries.hdtv.x264. When it was NTL the newsgroup was rubbish. It had hardly any groups on it.Also Virgin Media are pretty good. Virgin Media and TalkTalk where the only two ISP in the UK that wouldn't hand over user data to ACS:Law.Plus using newsgroup to download copyrighted content is a bit of an grey area. Torrents are not legal because you are sharing the content as you are downloading. But just downloading the content is not breaking the law. Its the person hosting it thats in the wrong.Its why when watching a copyrighted video on youtube you are not doing anything wrong. Its Youtube responsibility to not have it there.Its only breaking the law when you are sharing the copyrighted material. Not downloading it.

regardless of the law, VM will have a log of what you download so is it really worth the risk for the sake of 2.5p per GB for SSL?

I would hate for VM to cut my connection as the other ISPs seem crap in comparison on price.
sancho1983

Get as much as you can in the queue and suck it dry for several days on the spin at full throttle.

BTW.... Bloody whs2011 just knackered my sabszb and sick beard combo.... Got up this morning expecting numerous shows to find it had updated overnight. Briefly tried this morning to log in and get going again, but the saved shortcuts won't load either!
guv

Get as much as you can in the queue and suck it dry for several days on … Get as much as you can in the queue and suck it dry for several days on the spin at full throttle.BTW.... Bloody whs2011 just knackered my sabszb and sick beard combo.... Got up this morning expecting numerous shows to find it had updated overnight. Briefly tried this morning to log in and get going again, but the saved shortcuts won't load either!

Just woke up and couldn't check if my downloads had completed on my phone, just checked why and it had updated also, for some reason not restarted Sab.

Have you got it sorted yet?
sancho1983

Just woke up and couldn't check if my downloads had completed on my … Just woke up and couldn't check if my downloads had completed on my phone, just checked why and it had updated also, for some reason not restarted Sab.Have you got it sorted yet?

No.... I'm at work!
The more I hear about this WHS the more I smile
I never knew this existed either, whats the best way to browse and search the virgin media newsgroup?, thunderbird is getting a bit crashy with the amount of data.
thieving pirates
georgecat

thieving pirates

^^^^ brainless moron
dga

Browse for what? Text?

Yeah posts, I wanna see what weirdos are using newsgroups for social purposes.
dga

Multi will be found out.

Multi Has been found out! X)
What's newgroups?
deek72

What's newgroups?

Click the links in the first post. It explains what newgroups are with a how-to.
Put some files on the go, speed is maxed out at +3 mbits per sec. Thanks for bringing this to my attention pinguy this service is bound to come in handy at some point!
Just to update this thread

I use 50 threads on grabit and max out at 100mbps

might only be 30 days but one newsgroup I get from all the time is 265GB in size!
A lot has changed in the usenet scene since this thread was started.
theworkingdead

A lot has changed in the usenet scene since this thread was started.

Like what? Other than the corporations more actively tracking NZB indexing sites, and taking not only the sites, but the content down, not a lot has really changed.

Virgin is still the same, and great for stingy people, who don't care about low retention, third-party newsgroups are still there for those paranoid enough to want SSL.

Whether an user-generated NZB index or an automated one is used, the content and the indexing is still very much there. Not a lot has changed in seven months at all.

However, cheers pinguy for the server details, just reformatted my computer and I couldn't be bothered to dig out the details when I knew the internets would have my back.
Gynx

Like what? Other than the corporations more actively tracking NZB … Like what? Other than the corporations more actively tracking NZB indexing sites, and taking not only the sites, but the content down, not a lot has really changed.Virgin is still the same, and great for stingy people, who don't care about low retention, third-party newsgroups are still there for those paranoid enough to want SSL. Whether an user-generated NZB index or an automated one is used, the content and the indexing is still very much there. Not a lot has changed in seven months at all.However, cheers pinguy for the server details, just reformatted my computer and I couldn't be bothered to dig out the details when I knew the internets would have my back.

The biggest NZB site has gone.
sancho1983

The biggest NZB site has gone.

Maybe it's just because of my personal preference on that particular site, but I wouldn't class it as massive change because for me it wasn't, never used it, but I know it was the go-to-site for many, I just never understood why, maybe there was something I missed, alas I'll never know now!
Gynx

Maybe it's just because of my personal preference on that particular … Maybe it's just because of my personal preference on that particular site, but I wouldn't class it as massive change because for me it wasn't, never used it, but I know it was the go-to-site for many, I just never understood why, maybe there was something I missed, alas I'll never know now!

More and more often articles have been taken down due to DMCA requests.
Articles can still be found but I have had so much trouble with incomplete downloads or articles that are just missing completely (on many usenet providers) that I now only use it for very recent uploads. For example, Walking dead on a moday morning. For anything older than a few days I just use a VPN and torrent it. Not as quick but atleast it'll be complete.

I love how you contradict yourself though:

Gynx

Like what? Other than the corporations more actively tracking NZB … Like what? Other than the corporations more actively tracking NZB indexing sites, and taking not only the sites, but the content down, not a lot has really changed.

Edited by: "theworkingdead" 23rd Mar 2013
Is the youtube free on virgin,?not sure
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants