Who would like to help me with my computer?

Recently my desktop died, at the minute i am using my acer aao, which is brilliant for browsing etc but unfortunately i will soon have to run more challenging programs in order to complete work for uni.

So in short i am in need of a new desktop. I like to think that i am pretty capable at putting stuff together so building a PC is an option, alas though i lack knowledge when it comes to components and dont really know which ones i want/need.

The computer will need to be able to run ProEnginner (a 3D modelling suite), Photoshop, a variety of maths programs and obviously general day to day tasks.

I all ready have a monitor, wireless card, harddrive and operating system so i think all i need and correct me if im wrong is:

A Case, a PSU, a motherboard, processor, gfx card and some ram.

Would any kind soul out there like to put together a prospective system, Ideally for under £300.

Thanks and apologies for the lengthy rambling

10 Comments

If you are getting everything new, from your needs a quad-core is probably a good idea but obv. you have a limited budget. The new Athlon II fits the bill (although with motherboard+DDR3 ram you aren't going to have that much left over). Not sure if ProEngineer uses the graphics card for rendering (which would be a struggle anyway in your budget) but look to the Radeon 46xx series or better for very decent cards at a budget.

A quick look at ebuyer and you can get the following:
] Athlon II X4 620 2.6GHz AM3 Retail Boxed Processor 173368
]MSI 770-C45 AMD 770 AM3 DDR3 Support 8 channel Blu-ray Audio GB LAN ATX Motherboard 165438
]Crucial 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10600 Memory Kit CL9 1.5V 166995
]XFX HD 4650 XXX Edition 512MB VGA DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card 175341

For £227, leaving a bit to play with for a nice case and several options to get better graphics/CPU...

Original Poster

ProE runs at uni with an Nvidea 512 gfx card, cant recall the the model though

Original Poster

cheers jah, do you want to recomend a case and psu as well (they are the bits i really dont understand

guerilla;6597567

ProE runs at uni with an Nvidea 512 gfx card, cant recall the the model … ProE runs at uni with an Nvidea 512 gfx card, cant recall the the model though

Problem is it might need a workstation graphics card? They are essentially the same hardware as a normal desktop card but have additional support and are several times more expensive (even a old model will push your budget). On the other hand if it works with a normal Radeon or GeForce card then you're laughing (maybe stretch to a 48x0 series or a 57x0 series Radeon or similarly-rated Geforce if the budget allows?)

guerilla;6597579

cheers jah, do you want to recomend a case and psu as well (they are the … cheers jah, do you want to recomend a case and psu as well (they are the bits i really dont understand

Depends a lot on what you want case wise. PSU - look for an 80+ certified PSU which gives out a suitable amount for your chosen card/CPU and is of a known brand. For the system above I'd be happy with any properly-rated 400W PSU (so not a generic sub-£15 jobbie but something along the likes of an Antec Earthwatts 430W). You might want a smaller (mATX) case and motherboard if it suits your living space better. If you want a larger case, again Antec make some good sensibly priced ones such as the Sonata 2 (not very cheap but quiet and well made). There are some okay cases for sub-£30 but I would avoid ones with a cheap built-in PSU of dubious quality, a false economy in the long run.

Original Poster

i think they are just normal cards because i used to run ProE on my old desktop and that was a radeon

Original Poster

thanks again, are PSUs just a standard fit, ie can they go in any case?

guerilla;6597645

thanks again, are PSUs just a standard fit, ie can they go in any case?

Generally, except in some desktop cases/mATX cases; the vast majority are so called ATX power-supplies at should fit in any case that says it takes an ATX PSU...

(Also some ATX PSUs are very deep and might not fit in all cases but that shouldn't be a problem with the sort you will be looking at).

Original Poster

marvelous, thanks a lot for your help.

on a different note... have you ever used the software LabView?

guerilla;6597695

marvelous, thanks a lot for your help.on a different note... have you … marvelous, thanks a lot for your help.on a different note... have you ever used the software LabView?

I haven't I'm afraid...

PSU wise ]this would probably do for the system above, but probably not quite if you were to get a much more powerful CPU/graphics card...
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764030
    2. Any PS4 News Here29213603
    3. jeremy hunt £44.000 for a new bathroom ??1413
    4. PS4 Beta Software Version 511

See more discussions