Misc
35 Comments
Banned
No
yes
PC World and Game 'in stock'?

Hmm...
Not decided.
No am not dumping on the Xbox brand. But Microsoft when it comes to first party titles is embarrassingly bad. How many first party Microsoft games has been released in 2017 Halo Wars 2 and that is it until Forza I think. Even with the low amount of first party titles I can simply play them on PC no need for an Xbox (I do own an S though).

I own a PS4 Pro I am happy with it but I was expecting more from it to be fair. I prefer better frames per second over nicer graphics and higher resolution. Some games on the Pro have given me better FPS but not as much as I thought. I am almost certain it will be the same with the XOX considering it has the same CPU as that Pro but only 0.2ghz faster.

It's why we don't see many 60FPS games on PS4 or Xbox because of the really bad Jaguar CPU. If only Sony and Microsoft went with a Ryzen CPU for the Pro and X 30FPS would of been a thing of the past. It's all good having a decent GPU but the CPU is just as important and sadly we have 2 consoles with pretty beefy GPU's paired with a rotten potato of a CPU.

I understand why both Sony and Microsoft went with the Jaguar CPU back in 2013 for the base PS4 and Xbox. But we are in the year 2017 the Jaguar processor simply does not cut it any more (it's essentially an underclocked FX 8120 which was pretty crap when it released back in 2012).

At least with Ryzen now out. The PS5/Nextbox should have a decent Ryzen CPU inside and 30FPS will be a thing of the past.
To be honest I can barely tell the difference between my pro on 4k and the normal ps4 on 1080... That didn't stop me ordering two xb1x's though!

A fool and his money...
Original Poster
I was more getting at the 'play it from launch until January free' angle THEN decide.

Likely cashback from whoever you use is likely to have kicked in so you'll actually getting paid to play the new console.
Nope not getting one, although I wish Microsoft would start making their controllers with internal rechargeable batteries and I hoped they fixed the controller syncing/disconnecting issues.

I think when 4k tv's become the norm like 1080p is now, then more people will take interest. Also I think most people including myself are used to console generations and these mid-cycle consoles are murkying the waters which could overflow the market (ps4,ps4 slim,ps4 pro, xbox one, xbox one S, Xbox one X, nintendo switch and the ds family)causing confusion for the mass market. On the positive side it should reduce the price of the original ps4 and Xbox one and price will be the biggest factor come Xmas time.

For me I'm happy to wait until the PS5/Xbox Two
Not interested, looking forward to my snes mini tho.
No, they pissed on their chips when they decided not to release that VR headset after all. What's the point?
ostinato10 m ago

Eurogamer aren't so keen …Eurogamer aren't so keen either!http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-21-microsofts-final-sales-pitch-for-xbox-one-x-falls-flat

Needs exclusive games. I am a little bemused by one thing though, for the first 18 months to two years the ps4 had practically nothing and yet it outsold the xbox1 by two to one.
Flodd46 m ago

Needs exclusive games. I am a little bemused by one thing though, for the …Needs exclusive games. I am a little bemused by one thing though, for the first 18 months to two years the ps4 had practically nothing and yet it outsold the xbox1 by two to one.

Sheep mentality, they had sony console, so they buy sony console, next console will be a sony console etc
ocelot2014 h, 14 m ago

No am not dumping on the Xbox brand. But Microsoft when it comes to first …No am not dumping on the Xbox brand. But Microsoft when it comes to first party titles is embarrassingly bad. How many first party Microsoft games has been released in 2017 Halo Wars 2 and that is it until Forza I think. Even with the low amount of first party titles I can simply play them on PC no need for an Xbox (I do own an S though). I own a PS4 Pro I am happy with it but I was expecting more from it to be fair. I prefer better frames per second over nicer graphics and higher resolution. Some games on the Pro have given me better FPS but not as much as I thought. I am almost certain it will be the same with the XOX considering it has the same CPU as that Pro but only 0.2ghz faster. It's why we don't see many 60FPS games on PS4 or Xbox because of the really bad Jaguar CPU. If only Sony and Microsoft went with a Ryzen CPU for the Pro and X 30FPS would of been a thing of the past. It's all good having a decent GPU but the CPU is just as important and sadly we have 2 consoles with pretty beefy GPU's paired with a rotten potato of a CPU.I understand why both Sony and Microsoft went with the Jaguar CPU back in 2013 for the base PS4 and Xbox. But we are in the year 2017 the Jaguar processor simply does not cut it any more (it's essentially an underclocked FX 8120 which was pretty crap when it released back in 2012).At least with Ryzen now out. The PS5/Nextbox should have a decent Ryzen CPU inside and 30FPS will be a thing of the past.

All that waffling about latest tech as if it matters, yet buys a console. It just all sounds misguided if you are bothered about specs to such a degree why buy a product in the first place you know is miles behind PC.
Error4405 h, 22 m ago

All that waffling about latest tech as if it matters, yet buys a console. …All that waffling about latest tech as if it matters, yet buys a console. It just all sounds misguided if you are bothered about specs to such a degree why buy a product in the first place you know is miles behind PC.

Why buy a console? Exclusives you simply can't play on any other platform hence why owning a PS4 and a Switch is a very good option. Playing games with friends who don't own a PC. Pre owned games even though it's rare for me to trade games in these days. It nice to have an option to sell them once am finished unlike PC. Am a little surprised you even bothered to ask. Spite the consoles lacking the power of a decent PC. They still have many benifits even to PC gamers.

As I said I understand why they went with the poor CPU back in 2013. It was probably cheap for them to go with it and some what did a ok job. With the PS5 and Nextbox since AMD finally has a decent CPU line. Putting one of them in the PS5/Nextbox is a must in my opinion.
Edited by: "ocelot20" 22nd Aug 2017
ocelot2019 m ago

Why buy a console? Exclusives you simply can't play on any other platform …Why buy a console? Exclusives you simply can't play on any other platform hence why owning a PS4 and a Switch is a very good option. Playing games with friends who don't own a PC. Pre owned games even though it's rare for me to trade games in these days. It nice to have an option to sell them once am finished unlike PC. Am a little surprised you even bothered to ask. Spite the consoles lacking the power of a decent PC. They still have many benifits even to PC gamers. As I said I understand why they went with the poor CPU back in 2013. It was probably cheap for them to go with it and some what did a ok job. With the PS5 and Nextbox since AMD finally has a decent CPU line. Putting one of them in the PS5/Nextbox is a must in my opinion.

You got steam and emulation you don't need pre-owned, the games are cheaper anyway and then they get their life extended with strange mods. If i was bothered enough I'd buy one, I've only got the xbox because the small person wanted forza.

Pc can't replace Nintendo tho.
ocelot2019 h, 55 m ago

No am not dumping on the Xbox brand. But Microsoft when it comes to first …No am not dumping on the Xbox brand. But Microsoft when it comes to first party titles is embarrassingly bad. How many first party Microsoft games has been released in 2017 Halo Wars 2 and that is it until Forza I think. Even with the low amount of first party titles I can simply play them on PC no need for an Xbox (I do own an S though). I own a PS4 Pro I am happy with it but I was expecting more from it to be fair. I prefer better frames per second over nicer graphics and higher resolution. Some games on the Pro have given me better FPS but not as much as I thought. I am almost certain it will be the same with the XOX considering it has the same CPU as that Pro but only 0.2ghz faster. It's why we don't see many 60FPS games on PS4 or Xbox because of the really bad Jaguar CPU. If only Sony and Microsoft went with a Ryzen CPU for the Pro and X 30FPS would of been a thing of the past. It's all good having a decent GPU but the CPU is just as important and sadly we have 2 consoles with pretty beefy GPU's paired with a rotten potato of a CPU.I understand why both Sony and Microsoft went with the Jaguar CPU back in 2013 for the base PS4 and Xbox. But we are in the year 2017 the Jaguar processor simply does not cut it any more (it's essentially an underclocked FX 8120 which was pretty crap when it released back in 2012).At least with Ryzen now out. The PS5/Nextbox should have a decent Ryzen CPU inside and 30FPS will be a thing of the past.

The new xbox is capable of 4k 60fps.
CoeK6 m ago

What has been confirmed to run at 60fps?
ThugBasher5 m ago

What has been confirmed to run at 60fps?

Forza 7
MSK.12 h, 32 m ago

No, they pissed on their chips when they decided not to release that VR …No, they pissed on their chips when they decided not to release that VR headset after all. What's the point?

They are going mixed reality next year apparently. Can't imagine it not costing a lot though.
CoeK37 m ago

Didn't say it can't even the PS4 Pro can do 4K 60FPS. But you won't be seeing CPU heavy games hit 60 even at 1080p. Destiny 2, Division, Assassin's Creed, Fallout, Skyrim all come to mind.
Edited by: "ocelot20" 22nd Aug 2017
Error44037 m ago

You got steam and emulation you don't need pre-owned, the games are …You got steam and emulation you don't need pre-owned, the games are cheaper anyway and then they get their life extended with strange mods. If i was bothered enough I'd buy one, I've only got the xbox because the small person wanted forza.Pc can't replace Nintendo tho.

Pre-owned in my opinion is still good to have around. Just last year when Dead Rising 4 released it was actually the last XB1 game I bought. I got it for £40 played and completed it within a week got a good 20+ hours out of it. Sold it on for £36. I can't do that on Steam. The best I can do is pay £40 on Steam play it for 2 hours if I don't like it get a refund. Or if I do get 20 hours use out of it that £30-£40 am not getting back am then stuck with the game.

However, I suppose the many sales Steam have make up for it.
ocelot208 m ago

Didn't say it can't even the PS4 Pro can do 4K 60FPS. But you won't be …Didn't say it can't even the PS4 Pro can do 4K 60FPS. But you won't be seeing CPU heavy games hit 60 even at 1080p. Destiny 2, Division, Assassin's Creed, Fallout, Skyrim all come to mind.

3 polished turds and 2 games that are the same game anyway really.
ocelot208 m ago

Didn't say it can't even the PS4 Pro can do 4K 60FPS. But you won't be …Didn't say it can't even the PS4 Pro can do 4K 60FPS. But you won't be seeing CPU heavy games hit 60 even at 1080p. Destiny 2, Division, Assassin's Creed, Fallout, Skyrim all come to mind.

Then they should optimise them better. They know the hardware they have to use, it is for them to decide the best way to program their games to make use of that hardware.

The xbox would have cost a lot more and would probably have taken longer to come out if they went for Ryzen.
CoeK51 m ago

They are going mixed reality next year apparently. Can't imagine it not …They are going mixed reality next year apparently. Can't imagine it not costing a lot though.

They are? I thought it had been dropped.
MSK.2 m ago

They are? I thought it had been dropped.

Not as far as I know. Mixed reality actually looks pretty good too. I'll be using it in my home office to make my desk area look more interesting and have my whiteboard actually be useful. This is of course on the PC rather than xbox.
CoeK9 m ago

Not as far as I know. Mixed reality actually looks pretty good too. I'll …Not as far as I know. Mixed reality actually looks pretty good too. I'll be using it in my home office to make my desk area look more interesting and have my whiteboard actually be useful. This is of course on the PC rather than xbox.

I must have stopped paying attention after E3:

cnet.com/uk/…ty/

Very sketchy on details though, first he says it does, then he says:

"What Spencer did tell GameSpot today is that he hadn't gotten a lot of requests for mixed reality games for the consoles, but that he'll continue focus on what users want, which leaves an opening for future mixed reality and VR games for the Xbox One X."

That almost sounds it like can, or could, but not a firm promise of it will.

Ah well, if it ever does it sounds like I've got time to wait for a price drop!

Have you tried MR before with a headset?
MSK.8 m ago

I must have stopped paying attention after …I must have stopped paying attention after E3:https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/phil-spencer-xbox-one-x-still-supports-virtual-reality/Very sketchy on details though, first he says it does, then he says:"What Spencer did tell GameSpot today is that he hadn't gotten a lot of requests for mixed reality games for the consoles, but that he'll continue focus on what users want, which leaves an opening for future mixed reality and VR games for the Xbox One X."That almost sounds it like can, or could, but not a firm promise of it will.Ah well, if it ever does it sounds like I've got time to wait for a price drop!Have you tried MR before with a headset?

Nope not tried MR, only tried VR, I'm hoping the demos of what it can do are at least slightly realistic.
CoeK22nd Aug

Then they should optimise them better. They know the hardware they have …Then they should optimise them better. They know the hardware they have to use, it is for them to decide the best way to program their games to make use of that hardware.The xbox would have cost a lot more and would probably have taken longer to come out if they went for Ryzen.

I know devs can work wonders with limited hardware but there is a limit to what they can do. Working with a weak CPU must really annoy developers.
Error44022nd Aug

3 polished turds and 2 games that are the same game anyway really.

Dosen't matter what you think if the games are good or not. The fact is these games can't run at 60 on consoles due to the poor CPU.
Edited by: "ocelot20" 23rd Aug 2017
ocelot201 h, 26 m ago

I know devs can work wonders with limited hardware but there is a limit to …I know devs can work wonders with limited hardware but there is a limit to what they can do. Working with a weak CPU must really annoy developers.

So they should make the Xbox cost £600 to save developers the hassle of coding to the system they have available? I'm sure that would sell well.
CoeK4 h, 43 m ago

So they should make the Xbox cost £600 to save developers the hassle of …So they should make the Xbox cost £600 to save developers the hassle of coding to the system they have available? I'm sure that would sell well.

As if anyone is going to do that anyway, the code is written for the easiest system for porting to other formats most of the time, you used to get proper kudos at work if you got a S-bug or super bugs we called em. Get the PlayStation to show the error screen for the xbox Cos the codes ws all in there intact they were just spost to turn it off and put the other formats licencing standards in ontop.

Hardly anyone is going to code for the maximum potential of a system it simply isnt worth the hassle its not going to make any more money. Well other then crippling the PC versions to make them look on a par with the console ones because there's more profit in selling people console games even with all the licensing costs.
CoeK8 h, 2 m ago

So they should make the Xbox cost £600 to save developers the hassle of …So they should make the Xbox cost £600 to save developers the hassle of coding to the system they have available? I'm sure that would sell well.

Again didn't say anything like that. I don't see why they released a beefier Xbox. Sony I can sort of understand due to the PSVR and it was only £350. But Microsoft want £450 and is releasing a year late. Why not just wait that extra year and then release a new generation console before the competition?

If you don't mind me asking. How do you know Microsoft would of had to charge £600 if they put a Ryzen CPU inside instead of the crappy jaguar? I have no idea how much AMD charge per crappy Jaguar CPU to Microsoft or Sony but am certain they don't charge them full RRP. I also don't think it would of cost Microsoft a lot more (certainly not £150 more per chip) to go with say a cut down mobile version of the Ryzen 5 1600 6 core.

Someone from Sony fairly recently said that 1 in 5 PS4's sold is a Pro. For the Xbox One X I wouldn't be surprised if that number is 1 in 10. I think it will sell ok I just don't think it will do much for Microsoft.
The chip in the x is modified and isn't your typical jaguar..... The x would have been closer to £600 had it been ryzen
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions