Who's had an iMac?

Posted 6th Feb
Looking to get an iMac, probably the 2015 or 2017, but probably the 2017 version (4k).

Just wanted to hear thoughts/experiences on having any of these?

Many thanks in advance!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
I've got the 2015 non-4K, and I've had an older 2009 iMac. I love them, even though I use a Windows PC as well I really like Mac OS and the hardware. Make sure that you are getting what you want under the hood in terms of RAM, storage, graphics, etc because it's pretty locked in. I've added an SSD in an external caddy to my 2015 and use it to boot Mac OS from (and some selected software) as it had a HDD inside.
Thank you! Ideally I'd like to go for a mid-range 2017 model with 4k, but if I need to cut the costs then I may go for a 4k 2015 model. Only concern is not having USB-C ports, as everything seems to be going that way at the moment - so probs worth putting the extra bit in for the 2017 model.
Haircut_10006/02/2020 10:43

I've got the 2015 non-4K, and I've had an older 2009 iMac. I love them, …I've got the 2015 non-4K, and I've had an older 2009 iMac. I love them, even though I use a Windows PC as well I really like Mac OS and the hardware. Make sure that you are getting what you want under the hood in terms of RAM, storage, graphics, etc because it's pretty locked in. I've added an SSD in an external caddy to my 2015 and use it to boot Mac OS from (and some selected software) as it had a HDD inside.

Did you get used it rather quickly? Coming from windows?
Windows to Mac for me was easy.
In recent years I’ve tried to go the other way due to some technical programs and it’s been hard graft.

Personally I feel Apple products are very user friendly in comparison to windows.

I don’t think you would have an issue.

I’d go for the newest model your budget gets achieves.

Apples ports are always a talking point as they have a lot of hardware specific to their applications. This being said I’d go for it without thinking too much into this as you can always buy adapters on Amazon for a few quid.
TheRatedSeller06/02/2020 11:43

Did you get used it rather quickly? Coming from windows?

Yes, it's quite easy and the way that the Settings screens are laid out are much better than Windows and it's Control Panel. The only thing I have a little difficulty remembering how to use is cutting and pasting files because it's a tiny bit different to Windows in how it works (I often accidentally end up with two copies of the files). But then again I don't have to tinker under the hood of my Macs as it were, as the old saying goes stuff just works.
The iMac range has always suffered from poor port placement. They're generally hidden out of sight on the back of the screen, requiring you to fumble around even for such common a task as plugging in a USB stick. Most other all in ones at least have a couple of the side, and the best designs have front facing ports.

Oh, and second hand prices are silly - but that's a mac thing in general.

Mac OS and Windows are very similar. A few elements are in different places but almost all of the concepts are the same.
I purchased a 27” imac in 2010.

Im still using it today without doing anything to it other then the free updates and macos updates you get now and again and its still smooth and very quick with all the photo editing i do.

In comparison, my sister has had 5 windows laptops in that time (provided by work and hammered to death with use). And my brother has had three pcs in that time that end up running out of life.

Buy the best mac you can afford and it will last for over a decade!
My brother had an IMac until recently. Seemed to do everything he needed until he started uni.
I have had my Mac around 10 years now. I think its the 2010 model. Only thing i have changed is i increased the ram to its full capacity but it still works great. Theyre so easy to use.
Edited by: "SmokinAce7" 7th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants