Expired

who's responsible for my landline...sky or bt ?...

Found 5th Oct 2013
I've been with sky for years and pay sky talk and landline through sky, my phone at the minute has no dial tone, contacted sky via email and they back with a list of things to do to fix this, so tried them all and still no luck, can't get in contact with them again and just wondering who is responsible for the landline, is it sky or maybe bt, and will there be a call out fee?
Community Updates
AskSky
19 Comments
When my line had a fault, I telephoned sky and they contacted Openreach. Hope that helps.
I don't know who is responsible for the line, I do know that if the fault is with something inside the house, ie filter, they will charge you.

There might be an online telephone line checker, try that. (google)
We had this problem.....phoned sky and they arranged for someone to come out at an appointed time.....bt van turned up....hooked up his gadget thing to the socket then fiddled at the exchange and voila! No call out charge or anything but double check when you phone as this was last year
Edited by: "bunny_boiler" 5th Oct 2013
Also, if the fault is on the inside there is usually a charge, on the outside, they pay .....
Thank you so much for all your answers really appreciate it, will maybe try a new filter first...
Try a different phone if possible to rule out handset problems, and also try using a different RJ11 cable (the one from the filter to the phone jack).... cos if your internet is working fine my guess is that it's either the RJ11 cable needs replacing, the filter needs replacing or the phone handset itself.
If none of the above but the internet still works in the house, my guess would be the 2 wires inside the master socket that are dedicated to the phone line have somehow come loose... that or a problem with the wires at the exchange or junction box.
Whoever you pay your bill to is responsible for sorting it. If they don't, don't pay them.
The thing what I would do is take the face plate off the master socket, then plug a wired phone into the test socket, then see if you get a dial tone .

If not then call them out .
Bt will fix it, however.....IF they can say the fault is on your property and not anywhere else on the line, they will charge you around £130, but they won't tell you that until they get there. Had this problem with them about 4 years ago and left over it and went with virgin.
philmitchell

The thing what I would do is take the face plate off the master socket, … The thing what I would do is take the face plate off the master socket, then plug a wired phone into the test socket, then see if you get a dial tone .If not then call them out .

I agree. Do this. Make sure you tell sky if (when) it doesnt work and tell them you need an engineer out. I had a similar problem about a year ago when my phoneline was dead and had no internet access. I had to tether from my phone to contact them. It took days for them to get a BT engineer out, who said it was down to Skys router. I had, had problems on and off for a long time so I knew it wasnt the router. It turned out to be a loose card at the exchange just down the road. As you pay sky,make sure they are the ones chasing it up or you could end up with the bill if you go directly to BT.
sky will sort the landline out. there may be a charge if they find it is faulty equipment or connection inside your home.
hey, had this same problem the other day. We're with sky broadband/phone line but just canncelled the tv so thought it might have been something to do with that.Tried connecting another phone and still nothing. Then noticed our broadband wasn't working either so my husband tried another phone socket and surprisingly that worked.......hope this helps.
philmitchell

The thing what I would do is take the face plate off the master socket, … The thing what I would do is take the face plate off the master socket, then plug a wired phone into the test socket, then see if you get a dial tone .If not then call them out .

This /\ /\ /\ . Only way to test if its your problem or bt openreach, have had to call them out 3 times in last 2 years, always at exchange but worried would get a bill of £100.
i have done everything suggested but still no joy, the funny thing is that I tried to call my landline from my mobile, the landline never rang but it came up on the call display that I had one missed call, been trying from yesterday to get in touch with sky, thankyou so much for all the comments made.
Did you get it sorted ?
In a word NO, have been waiting for sky to call me back, said they would call within 3 days, good job I'm laid back, but I have no phone to phone them and it's takes about 12hrs to even answer an email
We'll just to update, phone wasn't working half hour ago so, just picked it up again there now and it's working again, there was also a voice mail from a telephone engineer to say my phone is now working, so no idea what was wrong but it's working thank goodness so thanks again for all the help
honeybunny10

We'll just to update, phone wasn't working half hour ago so, just picked … We'll just to update, phone wasn't working half hour ago so, just picked it up again there now and it's working again, there was also a voice mail from a telephone engineer to say my phone is now working, so no idea what was wrong but it's working thank goodness so thanks again for all the help

sometimes when there is a problem at the exchange or outside your property, they fix it without having to contact you.

glad to hear that it is sorted at last.
Well would you believe I got up this morning and no dial tone on the phone bit of a disaster, nearly a week now with no phone
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants