Groups

Who's still buying a Nintendo Switch at launch?

I'm on the fence at the moment about buying one but like the idea of it. What's everyone's thoughts on it?

127 Comments

Im going to see if i can get the neon for £198.50 when agme seek put it up.

if not then i will wait until october/november for a cheaper bundle.
    Edited by: "phillips4551" 10th Feb

Meeeee! Wahoo! ...sorry but yeah, I'm a day one adopter. Always have been with Nintendo, always will be

Wii U when the price drops

Decoded

I'm on the fence at the moment about buying one but like the idea of it. … I'm on the fence at the moment about buying one but like the idea of it. What's everyone's thoughts on it?

"Nintendo's Witch" will go through a bad spell initially, then it will either be the curse of the Company, or be a return to the magic of old.

Oh yeah, & I won't be buying one.

Don't need a portable at all, rarely use the one's I have and its not really a home console with such a dated performance level. I still want one though but nowhere near launch pricing. I think it will be years before I get one.

Original Poster

​Yeah, the Wii U really has held its money. A new one is still around £250.00

No, I was seriously considering it but the price, the 32gb memory, the extortionate price of controllers/accessories and a very poor launch line up has really put me off.

Original Poster

killerboy32

No, I was seriously considering it but the price, the 32gb memory, the … No, I was seriously considering it but the price, the 32gb memory, the extortionate price of controllers/accessories and a very poor launch line up has really put me off.

​Yes, I agree it's very pricey with only 1 good game at launch.
    Edited by: "Decoded" 10th Feb

Banned

Come on Noah, show your face.

Nope don't get one wait till the first batch is out as someone will buy one hate it and sell it on here for a lot less.

Banned

Got a pre order with Amazon but can see me cancelling it. The only game I'd really want to play is Zelda and I can get that for the Wii U and save a few quid. If I did get it, it would end up sitting on the tv stand gathering dust and playing second fiddle to the ps4 and Xbox one, which I have a stack of games still to be played on them.

Or the other alternative is to get it and hope there is a shortage and just sell it for profit..

If you can resist buying at launch there is only one direction the price will go. How fast it goes in that direction is another matter though. It won't be until Mario Odyssey comes out that my interest will peak again as I'm not interested in any of the intervening titles announced so far.

Also I've just purchased an alternative hybrid console thanks to topcashback's £5 cashback for purchases over £10 promotion they ran a little while ago and bought this;

ebay.co.uk/itm…761?

youtube.com/wat…=4s

About £5.80 paid for this level of awesomeness. In fairness I like playing games in the bath when I'm having a good soak in hot water and no way am I doing that with a £280 Switch. No Sensible Soccer or Mean Bean Machine on Switch. Also lasts 7hrs compared to as little as 2.5hrs with Switch.

I'm going to do the mod at some point so it plays all the games without having to insert the supplied extra cartridges.

It has no games, Splatoon and mk8 are Wii u games and Zelda is on the Wii u... so as a Wii u owner the first game I want is mario... which will probably be delayed to 2018 and they just put it in 2017 window to make it look less dire.

On top of that it's arm based and has less power so developers are already saying their games won't be coming to it... the Wii and Wii u all over again, no third party support, so you'll still have to own a PS4 or Xbox one.

I'll buy one, but maybe in 3 years like I did the Wii u when it has a handful of must play Nintendo games.

I stayed up for the launch expecting really big things, due to the U being a massive let down. As the days have passed I have been tempted to cancel my pre order, but have yet to do it.

The biggest problem for me was NOT having mario as a release day game, closely followed by the price and then them bringing out the zelda game on the U.

As it stands i'll probably cancel by the end of next week. I'd also go as far as claiming that this could genuinely be the end for Nintendo.
    Edited by: "mac9091" 10th Feb

Sticking with wii the original one.

Waiting till Xmas before I consider a switch. A small handful of games and a ton of indie and old ports isn't what I want from a new console.

If the console doesn't take a £200-220 price point by the end of the year. Then I won't get one till next year, unless a good bundle hits.

Also, it's really down to how 3rd party support looks. And if the console is looking strong by then as well.

Original Poster

mac9091

I stayed up for the launch expecting really big things, due to the U … I stayed up for the launch expecting really big things, due to the U being a massive let down. As the days have passed I have been tempted to cancel my pre order, but have yet to do it.The biggest problem for me was NOT having mario as a release day game, closely followed by the price and then them bringing out the zelda game on the U.As it stands i'll probably cancel by the end of next week. I'd also go as far as claiming that this could genuinely be the end for Nintendo.

​Mario and Zelda should have both been released at launch and throwing a few Wii U ports in between does seem a tad poor. They have also not mentioned what games are coming out on the e-store. Are the rumoured GameCube games coming? It really does seem all so quiet near launch time.

kos1c

Waiting till Xmas before I consider a switch. A small handful of games … Waiting till Xmas before I consider a switch. A small handful of games and a ton of indie and old ports isn't what I want from a new console...

That selection of titles did not do M̶i̶c̶r̶o̶s̶o̶f̶t̶ a̶n̶d̶ Sony any harm in their first year.

Lol no

Didn't preorder because I felt dissaponted with the reveal, then did preorder due to hype, and since then cancelled it as I came to my senses.

Ive still got mine preordered, and I expect I will buy it too..

Very much want Zelda.. and Mario Kart, Puyo Puyo...

I have a feeling there is going to be a lot more to the Switch than we know right now. its not a massive amount of money to outlay £320 with Zelda, Im kidding myself thinking i wont want one, I will and I really do not see Nintendo doing a 3DS on the price at least this side of Xmas.. not with Mario coming out.

Kids are excited for it... and the more i read about it the more it does look very interesting in other areas you wouldnt think of,

also the Joycon Price while expensive are packed with technology..

I want one I've preordered one if it's **** I can sell it and if it's anything like the nes mini you could prob make a profit on it so get on the hype train and make some cash but I'm keeping mine just like I did with my nes

I've still got my pre-order, though I haven't preordered any games, lol. The only reason I'd cancel would be because I want to wait for a limited edition, but if I did cancel my current preorder I don't know how long it'd take for them to bring out a good one. I'm sure I'll have fun with the console even if the games I really want don't come out for a few months yet.

Preordered day one at Amazon then swiftly cancelled once I realised the only game worth playing I can just get on my Wii u . Will buy one when it has proven itself as an essential purchase. I.e. some good first party games that aren't ports and some third party support

fanpages

That selection of titles did not do M̶i̶c̶r̶o̶s̶o̶f̶t̶ a̶n̶d̶ Sony any h … That selection of titles did not do M̶i̶c̶r̶o̶s̶o̶f̶t̶ a̶n̶d̶ Sony any harm in their first year.

​Sony seemed to offer more than ports from yesteryear. A full HD gaming console, with a massive 3rd party support and a race to best console on the market.

Sadly Nintendo haven't offered something that's super appealing. There's already a large split down the middle of people wanting it day one while a large crowd of gamers not wanting it at all.

I do love Nintendo games, I rushed out for the Wii U day one, and a 3ds Day one and lived in regret due to the way Nintendo relies on 3rd party to release games. With the Wii U, that didn't happen. The 3ds got the 3rd party support and it's AAA games a year after release.

I hope it isn't the same for the Switch, I'd like it to succeed. But I'm not someone to gamble on Nintendo for the 3rd time.
    A year after release I'll see how it does, if it's going well I'll grab a console.

kos1c

Waiting till Xmas before I consider a switch. A small handful of games … Waiting till Xmas before I consider a switch. A small handful of games and a ton of indie and old ports isn't what I want from a new console...

fanpages

That selection of titles did not do M̶i̶c̶r̶o̶s̶o̶f̶t̶ a̶n̶d̶ Sony any h … That selection of titles did not do M̶i̶c̶r̶o̶s̶o̶f̶t̶ a̶n̶d̶ Sony any harm in their first year.

kos1c

​Sony seemed to offer more than ports from yesteryear. A full HD gaming c … ​Sony seemed to offer more than ports from yesteryear. A full HD gaming console, with a massive 3rd party support and a race to best console on the market...

That opinion is not shared by everybody.

Take a look at the "Here's what your PlayStation Plus rental agreement offers you this month" threads in the "Deals" (or "Misc") Forum(s).

phillips4551

Im going to see if i can get the neon for £198.50 when agme seek put it … Im going to see if i can get the neon for £198.50 when agme seek put it up.if not then i will wait until october/november for a cheaper bundle.

I would've thought no chance, but...
    nintendo-insider.com/201…rn/

no web browser on it, no good games other than LoZ, too pricey, 60 for a game, same for a controller. low play time 3-6 hours?, i think they'll pull a sony/microsoft move and next year we'll get an upgraded version, i'll wait for that

jco83

I would've thought no chance, … I would've thought no chance, but...http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2017/02/gameseek-198-50-nintendo-switch-deal-makes-a-return/

Was going to try to order one at that price and then thought I've ordered Zelda for wii u and no other games I want play or buy until Mario Odyssey so what is the point for me. I don't need a portable anyway or at least a portable that isn't pocket friendly. It's not like a new Zelda will come along soon. The only new Zelda for wii u arrives as the last game available on the system. When there is a Switch and Mario Odyssey bundle at something like £200 or £180 I'll probably try to get one then which will also be supported by a wide range of discounted older games too.

I think CEX will get mine, then put any profit towards the Xbox Scorpio

kos1c

fanpages

kos1c

​Sony seemed to offer more than ports from yesteryear. A full HD gaming c … ​Sony seemed to offer more than ports from yesteryear. A full HD gaming console, with a massive 3rd party support and a race to best console on the market...

​It's not really my opinion of the ps4 either. It's just the generalisation of what it had offered.
    I feel Sony are a greedy company that looks at money first then it's fans second (ps now for an example).

I can't find the thread you're on about. If it's about the ps+ games, that's something different to year one game releases.

kos1c

fanpages

That selection of titles did not do M̶i̶c̶r̶o̶s̶o̶f̶t̶ a̶n̶d̶ Sony any … That selection of titles did not do M̶i̶c̶r̶o̶s̶o̶f̶t̶ a̶n̶d̶ Sony any harm in their first year.

kos1c

Saying Sony are greedy in a thread about the Nintendo Switch seems incredibly unfair. PS Now is a completely optional service that doesn't effect the core system. Nintendo's pricing of its consoles, games and accessories is very excessive and an online service charge for a system with only a handful of online games seems profiteering in the extreme. To me both Sony and Microsoft offer fantastic value for gamers compared to very poor value with Nintendo. My main reason for not buying a Switch is its appalling pricing for just about everything connected with it. I'm surprised I'm not charged a couple of pounds just to browse the Nintendo uk site.

bonzobanana

Saying Sony are greedy in a thread about the Nintendo Switch seems … Saying Sony are greedy in a thread about the Nintendo Switch seems incredibly unfair. PS Now is a completely optional service that doesn't effect the core system. Nintendo's pricing of its consoles, games and accessories is very excessive and an online service charge for a system with only a handful of online games seems profiteering in the extreme. To me both Sony and Microsoft offer fantastic value for gamers compared to very poor value with Nintendo. My main reason for not buying a Switch is its appalling pricing for just about everything connected with it. I'm surprised I'm not charged a couple of pounds just to browse the Nintendo uk site.

​True, all 3 consoles have their strengths for gamers and then strengths for greed.

Ps now should still be a paid service but should've been £7-8 Imo. Ps vita using a specific sd card etc.

Nintendo have always found a way to future proof their profits.

N64 was released with a graphic expansion slot. So they knew they would force people into buying that addon.

The Wii had wii plus sensors for the remote. Something I bet they planned before the console release.

There are a few more but I can't remember what they are atm.

Looking at the switch, at £200 it's an acceptable price. But £280, I don't see it worth my cash.

It's a gaming tablet without the tablet features.
    It'll run games on a basic Nintendo OS.
    Won't have an app store that usually comes with a tablet, just Nintendo eshop. Hell, they aren't releasing a Web browser as their scared for the same hbc exploit the Wii U has on the Switch.

It would've done well if it was an all in one device. But it's far from it. It's a touch screen display with nfc/Bluetooth controllers.

And using your phones app to use voice chat was the last joke from Nintendo. (under powered or worried it's another feature that could get exploited, 3ds soundhax).

All I want is Sin & Punishment 3

100% no I won't be purchasing, for the first time since they released the NES.
    Edited by: "delusion" 11th Feb

I said a few posts up I was getting this.. Ive decided now not too, and I've just cancelled my preorders with Amazon.. I will buy Zelda on Wii U though..

Funny this thread made me reconsider why I was getting it.

I had it pre-ordered with Game before the reveal, but cancelled it a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure I'll grab one eventually, might set a reminder to look during the period after launch but before Mario marketing so that I don't get stung by increased interest.

My biggest disappointment with it however is that it hasn't pushed down 2DS/3DS prices at all, I was hoping to pick up a bargain!?

haritori

I said a few posts up I was getting this.. Ive decided now not too, and … I said a few posts up I was getting this.. Ive decided now not too, and I've just cancelled my preorders with Amazon.. I will buy Zelda on Wii U though.. Funny this thread made me reconsider why I was getting it.

Didn't you consider holding out and seeing what demand is like?

deeky

Didn't you consider holding out and seeing what demand is like?

I did, but more and more I can see it up for preorder everywhere again, seems like demand isnt too big..

I will prob get one, but I need to stop buying stuff on day one I always regret it.
    Edited by: "haritori" 11th Feb

haritori

I said a few posts up I was getting this.. Ive decided now not too, and … I said a few posts up I was getting this.. Ive decided now not too, and I've just cancelled my preorders with Amazon.. I will buy Zelda on Wii U though.. Funny this thread made me reconsider why I was getting it.

I'm not totally convinced knowing your tendency for decision dithering but I would say don't assume Zelda on wii u is inferior. From what I've read and seen, lighting and shadow effects are better on wii u, you get to use the gamepad with its touch screen for easy control of inventory etc and people going to the Switch show case events in the USA have reported obvious slowdown, frame rate issues on the Switch version. It was always designed to the strengths (and weakneses) of the wii u and the Switch port came late in the day. You may find when eurogamer does it's analysis that both versions have pro's and con's over the other version.

While the Switch is a powerful portable the docked performance seems to be less than stellar and not much of an upgrade. The console switches on the fly between portable and docked mode almost immediately so is always ready to transfer from the different output types so basically docked mode is only a resolution boost and it still has to work with the normal shared memory bandwidth of 25.6GB/s (very likely). Everything I've read reinforces the view that the Switch is a pretty hopeless home console and you can't really benefit from the full 400 gflops of docked performance because its running the same game engine at all times designed to work with 150 gflops and has to switch to that mode at any moment. If it pushed the 400 gflops it would have to save the game file, come out of the game, reboot the game loading improved graphic assets and then start up again or just hold 2 copies of everything in memory which would be very limiting with available memory and mean you'd be loading 2 sets of graphic data all the time, one for portable mode and one for docked which wouldn't be practical.

I'm just making the point that wii u vs Switch is closer than you think in performance terms because Switch is more a 150 gflops portable than it is a 400 gflops home console.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon44
      2. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…44
      3. Review Hub Monthly Competition - Win a OnePlus 5!88
      4. Win a pair of running shoes up to the value of £100 with UKRunChat1010

See more discussions